All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

[Google Voice] Obi, Google Voice and CallCentric

As far as voice quality and reliability is concerned, would it be preferable to have the Obi device directly login to GV to receive incoming calls (to the GV number) or would it result in a higher quality and/or reliability to have GV forward all calls to a CC (Free NY) DID and the Obi logged into CC to receive all the incoming calls?

In order to arrange the latter setup (Callers-->GV-->CC-->Obi) for incoming while using GV for outgoing (from the Obi), would the only change needed to be made is unchecking Forward to Google Talk in the GV settings (so that the Obi does not receive the incoming calls directly from GV) while using GV and CC as your two providers in the Obi?
josephf

josephf

BTW, a benefit of using CC as the middleman for incoming GV calls, is that you will get (incoming) CNAM on your calls to your GV number -- something that you do not get when receiving GV calls directly to your Obi device.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

More forwarding legs you have more you'll loose quality wise. Maybe you won't feel it with just 1 forward and the CNAM feature you mentioned might be a good reason to do it.

josephf

josephf

Is there a perceptible degradation in quality when putting CC in middle compared to using GV directly with the Obi?

Also, with the CC scenario does the fact that the Obi is communicating with CC's servers (for incoming calls) instead of GV's servers (thus avoiding Obi's concoction using a Google Talk hack) affect the quality for better or worse?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

It's theoretically possible your internet provider has poor quality routing to Google's equipment, but good routing to Callcentric. In that case, forwarding your calls to Callcentric would be better.

The other way around is also possible. Though fewer forwarding legs is usually better, specific circumstances can make it the opposite. Your ear is the best test.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

...thus avoiding Obi's concoction using a Google Talk hack...

It's not a "hack". Obihai uses the Google Talk API.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

It uses Google Voice, not the Google Talk.
Google Voice supports only one codec (PCMU), while Google Talk supports many...

josephf

josephf

Obi requires your GV setting is set to forward incoming calls to Google Talk.

HC Sinclair
@optonline.net

HC Sinclair to NoHereNoMo

Anon

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

It's not a "hack". Obihai uses the Google Talk API.

Many hacks take an existing software or service and use it in a new way. It may be wonderful, but it is still a hack by definition.

The question is whether the method is officially approved by the people who own the particular website or service, or not officially approved. The latter is a hack.

In the case of Obihai, there is no official Google approval or even acknowledgement.

That's what makes it a hack.

Calling it so is not necessarily bad....
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
Just for a posterity purpose. With FreeSWITCH (perhaps Asterisk too) and some additional fees for a CID NAME lookup service, it is possible to perform a CID NAME lookup for an incoming (GV) call as shown here.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
I'd route it through CC, if for nothing else than to take advantage of their call treatments on the inbound side. Nice to use black and white lists to handle junk calls. We've also used it to redirect SOME numbers based on time of day, a very nice feature to use.

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
I have GV forwarded to CallCentric's free DID numbers and the quality is excellent.

I also have the CallCentric NA 500 plan for outgoing, but with the Obi, I can also dial out using Google Talk.

On outgoing, quality is better using CallCentric. Incoming, is seems about the same as using GT directly, in fact, it seems to be better when forwarded to CallCentric. But that is a subjective option on my part. The point is it will work great either way.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo to HC Sinclair

to HC Sinclair
I'm a programmer; my whole career is founded upon hacks. But using an API is still not a hack; by definition it's "approved".

josephf

josephf to garys_2k

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

I'd route it through CC, if for nothing else than to take advantage of their call treatments on the inbound side. Nice to use black and white lists to handle junk calls. We've also used it to redirect SOME numbers based on time of day, a very nice feature to use.

Doesn't Google Voice have most of those features itself?

HC Sinclair
@optonline.net

HC Sinclair

Anon

said by josephf:

said by garys_2k:

Doesn't Google Voice have most of those features itself?

Some, but not all.

More importantly, in my experience the Call Treatments from CallCentric are much easier to use than the controls from GoogleVoice.

See here for previous discussion of some GV annoyances.
»Google Voice issues

--------------------------

Yes, GV is free. But even free wears out after a while if innovation is dead.

Anveo, Voip.MS, CallCentric, and others, continue to innovate in diverse ways.

GV seems frozen in time, as the parent company has gone on to other things. That is unfortunate all around. Even GV forum support seems to be getting steadily weaker.

It's ironic that the major advance in GV has been from totally outside groups such as Obihai and Simonics, not even officially recognized or acknowledged by Google.