All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

TWC dallas just a matter of time before 8 ch. downstream?

Looks like the TWC Dallas system cleared out 2 QAM slots to make room for 8 channel DOCSIS bonding and these were the changes:

57MHz new QAM that carriers Discovery Channel HD
147MHz new QAM that carries what was on 675MHz
231MHz new QAM that carries what was on 681MHz

these QAMs are currently open to make room for 8 channel bonding:
675MHz
681MHZ

So I am wondering does anyone know when TWC will start to move each hub in North Texas to 8 downstream bonding? ???
Snowknight26
join:2011-04-06

Snowknight26

I honestly thought you would be the first to tell us.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Snowknight26:

I honestly thought you would be the first to tell us.

I am guessing they are going to work on specific hub(s) at a time to make the changes to the internet bonding on the downstream. I wonder if they are going to move the entire downstream DOCSIS channel block from 783MHz-813MHz to 675MHz-717MHz and move all of the SDV QAMs to consecutive spots from 723MHz to 861MHz? I am guessing this because they did not move the QAMs on 771MHz and 777MHz to 675MHz and 681MHz for SDV on 3/5/13 which could have been done the same night the 4 analogs were axed (well 3 right now as channel 67 has the slides running saying to get a box or digital adapter)
motorola870

motorola870

I wonder if the changes to 8 channel DOCSIS downstream will follow the same pattern that happened last year where it took 3 weeks in July to activate 807MHz and 813MHz for downstreams but instead of it happening in July it happens in March/April 2013?

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
What I'm waiting on is to see the upload speed boosted... with Crashplan running on my NAS, a server and a couple of laptops, my 11TB's of data are going to take a while to upload at 5... wish my 75/5 was a symmetrical 80

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by chamberc:

What I'm waiting on is to see the upload speed boosted... with Crashplan running on my NAS, a server and a couple of laptops, my 11TB's of data are going to take a while to upload at 5... wish my 75/5 was a symmetrical 80

that probably won't happen until TWC respaces the upstream channels to at least 2 6.4MHz channels and 1 or 3.2MHz wide channels. I would bet the highest the go on the upstream is 20Mbps or 25Mbps for the top tier. Right now they can only get 60Mbps per node max on the upstream.

I am really curious to see if TWC takes the downstream internet channels out of the 700MHz wireless? From the looks of it TWC is going to be making major changes to where the DOCSIS channels are as they did not move SDV QAM carriers to 675MHz and 681MHz. I have a feeling the SDV bandwidth is going to be bunched together and the DOCSIS channels moved out from in between the SDV QAM space.
motorola870

motorola870

anyone else know anything? customer service does not know anything about the changes only about the digital adapters.

warlock56
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Dallas, TX

warlock56 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

Right now they can only get 60Mbps per node max on the upstream.

Does this mean 60Mbps for all customers the node serves, or up to 60 per customer?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by warlock56:

said by motorola870:

Right now they can only get 60Mbps per node max on the upstream.

Does this mean 60Mbps for all customers the node serves, or up to 60 per customer?

node total
Snowknight26

Snowknight26

Do you know what the node total will be once they add more upstream channels, or on average how many customers there are per node?

Nick21
join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

Nick21

Oh wow, 60 is the max in total? I thought lots of people share a node. So are nodes capped at 12 customers if they all have Wideband?

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
If thats even close to being true then you have your answer as to why you dont see upload speeds going up anytime soon.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Snowknight26

to Snowknight26
said by Snowknight26:

Do you know what the node total will be once they add more upstream channels, or on average how many customers there are per node?

the thing is that we are already at 4 upstream channels in North Texas:

24.5MHz
29.5MHz
33MHz
36.5MHz

all are 3.2MHz wide QAM64/QAM16 mixed mode so if you have noise on the line they default to QAM16.

Right now each upstream channel has about 15Mbps throughput and with bonding the theoretical max you can get is 60Mbps barring that your upstream channels have no noise and they stay at QAM64 across the board.

warlock56
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

warlock56 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

node total

Is there any way to determine the identity of my node? If I can get on a tall ladder and examine the outer housing, is there anything that would allow me to see the ID of my node?

I know mine is a Motorola, but are they capable of being upgraded to a higher bandwidth? I'm curious because of how Comcast is offering 65Mbps upload on their new top tier what sort of nodes they are using that allows for such high bandwidth.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by warlock56:

said by motorola870:

node total

Is there any way to determine the identity of my node? If I can get on a tall ladder and examine the outer housing, is there anything that would allow me to see the ID of my node?

I know mine is a Motorola, but are they capable of being upgraded to a higher bandwidth? I'm curious because of how Comcast is offering 65Mbps upload on their new top tier what sort of nodes they are using that allows for such high bandwidth.

call customer services they will tell you what node you are on if you ask.

The systems in North Texas have 5-40MHz to play with on the upstream and it is going to be hard to get 2 6.4MHz wide upstream channels along with 2 3.2MHz upstream channels instead of the 4 3.2MHz channels which is basically like having 2 6.4MHz channels broken down into 4 channels instead of 2.
motorola870

motorola870 to warlock56

to warlock56
said by warlock56:

said by motorola870:

node total

doubt TWC will be upgrading the motorola nodes they are already rated for 870MHz which were in place before TWC bought the system and upgraded it to 870MHz. The newer nodes are the Aurora nodes and the have an arc on them

»www.aurora.com/site/comm ··· 4000.png

A lot of the nodes in East Arlington are the newer Aurora nodes that likely have a digital return on them but the limiting factor on the upstream is the amplifiers that some of which in the field are rated for 5-40MHz only instead of 5-42MHz.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to warlock56

to warlock56
said by warlock56:

Comcast is doing the 305/65 tier via DIRECT Fiber connection not via COAX.. From the Fiber Node to the home it's fiber.. so it's not DOCSIS 3.x which means it's not limited to the node restrictions mentioned above. [It works off the same type of setup as Metro Ethernet does that they offer to business class customers]

»Comcast Using FTTH For New 305 Mbps Tier [92] comments
Snowknight26

Snowknight26 to motorola870

to motorola870
I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Anyone have any news on this?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Snowknight26:

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Anyone have any news on this?

I am too but maybe there could be possible time frame for the changes based on something I saw for San Antonio on their legal notice where almost all of their local clear QAM channels are being shifted around on May 28th to make room for the 4 additional DOCSIS channels there and El Paso is having it done on the same day as well so I am thinking maybe before May 28th? as TWC likes to do certain areas at a time with upgrades as major as the one being done where they have relocate QAMs to fit 8 DOCSIS channels side by side they are going to have move either SDV QAMs or the DOCSIS channels to new frequencies in North Texas to make room for 2 additional DOCSIS channels. 675MHz and 681MHz are open right from the digital adapter changes so those frequencies will have something moved to them and I am betting this is going to be done on hub by hub basis.
motorola870

motorola870

something happened last night VOD was out and my modem changed the primary channel from 789MHz back to 783MHz and the modem shows that it did not get rebooted so it looks like TWC was making changes to the QAMs last night as the VOD frequencies were totally empty around 11:30pm last night and I couldn't use startover/lookback and the VOD menu would come up but no videos would play so I am betting TWC changed out the edge QAM to more dense EDGE QAMs to prepare for the 8 channel bonding changes. Around 3 am according to the modem is when it lost the downstream QAMs and relocked onto 783MHz.

warlock56
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

warlock56

Premium Member

You really should try and start working for TWC, maybe out of their location on Matlock.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by warlock56:

You really should try and start working for TWC, maybe out of their location on Matlock.

that is a good suggestion but no thanks I am going to school for computer networking though maybe I will get some work experience with working on computer networks before I go to work for somewhere like TWC where I would start out as an installer.
motorola870

motorola870 to warlock56

to warlock56
said by warlock56:

Honestly I would love to have 8 channel bonding soon but I think it is going to take a few more months maybe until the summer to implement thanks to having the 6 current downstream channels wedged in between SDV QAMs on the frequency plan got to move something as there is no room right there next to the current downstream channels for 2 more DOCSIS Channels.

I don't know what that VOD maintenance was about but it looked like they made some changes last week as Wednesday I came in from night classes at college and watched family guy and then went to go into VOD and it started throwing up errors such as SRM and 5001 and startover/lookback would try to start a show and the little animation that shows that video is loading timed out so I would have to guess they were replacing equipment. Back on March 5th TWC did some changes where they unloaded some QAMs and took them down and brought them back up unencrypted when they moved what was on 104.x and 105.x to 18.x and 25.x and added 2.1 Discovery Channel HD so I think TWC has been replacing equipment such as the QAM modulators with newer ones that can handle more QAM carrier outputs per port which would make since as there is limited rack space at the headend/hub. Oh and my modem did not change the downstreams on thursday morning it was on wednesday which was likely a dynamic channel change. But I do think TWC was making changes to the VOD QAMs and are probably (best guess as they announced changes for San Antonio 2 months out for QAM assignment relocation for locals and they usually do things at a state level now so they will do an area at a time for upgrades so I am betting that between now and May 28th we could see the 8 channel bonding changes) going to start on the changes to the internet soon I can't say when thanks to the network status page being removed.
motorola870

motorola870

something is going on tonight with maintenance! Looks Like TWC opened up 771MHz and 777MHz for the 7th and 8th DOCSIS downstream channels and moved the SDV QAMs around from 104 (675MHz) to 119 (765MHz) and 128 (819MHz) to 135 (861MHz)
motorola870

motorola870

I am going to assume that starting as early as next week people in the North Texas area should start seeing 8 channels on the downstream now that TWC took care of the SDV ajacency issue to the DOCSIS channels

Sam3
join:2012-12-20
Dallas, TX

Sam3 to motorola870

to motorola870
Well, looks like 8/4 bonding is complete. Not sure what's going on with channels 2 and 3 though.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Channels 2 and 3 aren't turned on, so you've got 6 downstream channels.

Chances are the bonding groups have them configured, but problems have caused them to be turned off temporarily.

There are known issues with multiple CMTS venders in which there are problems with RF channel output errors once 8 channels are turned up. Downgrading to 6 channels will correct the problem, but the real fix is to get the CMTS card replaced with a good card so the defective card can be repaired/replaced. I saw it first hand upgrading 9 CMTSs. Out of 54 cards, 4 cards between 2 CMTSs had the issue, and I only had 3 spares on had. 4th card got swapped the next night when I received another card, but until then it was configured with 6 channels. Overall it just slows the upgrade process...

It could also be existing video channels are still active and waiting to be relocated. Until then the CMTS channels are turned off.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by DocDrew:

Channels 2 and 3 aren't turned on, so you've got 6 downstream channels.

Chances are the bonding groups have them configured, but problems have caused them to be turned off temporarily.

There are known issues with multiple CMTS venders in which there are problems with RF channel output errors once 8 channels are turned up. Downgrading to 6 channels will correct the problem, but the real fix is to get the CMTS card replaced with a good card so the defective card can be repaired/replaced. I saw it first hand upgrading 9 CMTSs. Out of 54 cards, 4 cards between 2 CMTSs had the issue, and I only had 3 spares on had. 4th card got swapped the next night when I received another card, but until then it was configured with 6 channels. Overall it just slows the upgrade process...

It could also be existing video channels are still active and waiting to be relocated. Until then the CMTS channels are turned off.

DrDrew last week TWC moved the SDV QAMs off of 771MHz and 777MHz and moved them to 675MHz and 681MHz So it might be like you said an issue that will likely get fixed tonight.

warlock56
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

warlock56 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
Glad to see 8 channels will be happening soon. Then the only thing I wish TWC would address is trying to increase upload speed.

Speaking of that, didn't someone mention the problem was something like their network wasn't upgraded past 40MHz on the upload side, or something like that? What would be involved on the amp/node side to make this happen?
clueless01
Premium Member
join:2008-09-16
Glendale, CA

clueless01 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
Interesting to hear you were getting SRM related VOD errors. I thought by now all of the Seachange VOD systems were removed from the TWC areas. By any chance were you in a former Comcast area (prior to the 2006 Comcast/Adelphia/TWC/Merger) split?