join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to BiGdUsTy

Premium Member

to BiGdUsTy

Re: New SB6120 Firmware

said by BiGdUsTy:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· pfl.html

I would think Arris offers the same for there cmts but maybe not?

That feature is to restrict ARP storms from affecting the service on the CMTS. It will filter out excessive ARP requests at the CMTS if a modem is sending out more than allowed. Arris C4's refer to it as "ARP Throttling". This will not change whether or not you see this information. All it does is keep someone from attacking the CMTS via ARP storms.

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

Electrical tape over the blinking led of doom and jump in line with the rest of the sheep. Sounds like a good plan!

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
The point isn't to remove it from the traffic stream but to prevent it from making the link/activity light flash constantly. It did not do it with the old firmware but does now with the new one.

Otherwise, what is the point of an activity light if it's always flashing on background noise?

Should be:
Off = no connection
On = connection
Flash = customer activity

But, I guess I'm with Dusty. I'll "fix" my high tech device and it's constant flashing with a piece of electrical tape.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by goober22:

The point isn't to remove it from the traffic stream but to prevent it from making the link/activity light flash constantly. It did not do it with the old firmware but does now with the new one.

Otherwise, what is the point of an activity light if it's always flashing on background noise?

Should be:
Off = no connection
On = connection
Flash = customer activity

But, I guess I'm with Dusty. I'll "fix" my high tech device and it's constant flashing with a piece of electrical tape.

I apologize that the firmware update changed the behavior of the modem, but that's not something we here can control. We only push out the firmware Motorola creates for these modems. If there would be anyone that could do anything with your issues, it would be Motorola. They might be able to provide more information on why this was changed.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

I understand and I'm not dumping on you Dan but that was what I suggested earlier. Maybe WOW/Knology would contact the Motorola folks and explain the customer complaints you have been getting over it. Maybe they'll work it into the next firmware upgrade. Since we users can't upgrade the firmware ourselves, it'll take you to make the issue known to Motorola.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by goober22:

I understand and I'm not dumping on you Dan but that was what I suggested earlier. Maybe WOW/Knology would contact the Motorola folks and explain the customer complaints you have been getting over it. Maybe they'll work it into the next firmware upgrade. Since we users can't upgrade the firmware ourselves, it'll take you to make the issue known to Motorola.

I will mention it to the provisioning group to see if they can pass the along to Motorola. I don't have any contacts with them personally.