kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to Octavean

Re: [Parts Check] Looking For Mobo

What kind of after-market heatsink/fan do you use?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
Me,....

I have three or four Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus units. These are reasonably good and cheap (~$20). I also have a ThermalRight HR-01 and a ThermalRight Ultra 90.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

What kind of after-market heatsink/fan do you use?

Corsair H60.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
I also have the H60. I don't know if it cools any better than the Hyper-212, but it sure is easier to clean! Don't seem to have to clean as often too, and what large pieces of dust does accumulate, peals off like a little mini-carpet.

I fold with this CPU, (run it @ 100%, 24/7/365) and I also think it provides even cooling, (less temperature spikes) than an air-cooled HSF.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I haven't even considered using water cooling because I just assumed that it was out of my price range and I don't have a fish tank handy. Newegg has the H60 for $60 and considering from what I'm reading the i7's run a little warm it looks like an excellent solution because I may start crunching again once spring gets here in about 6 months
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
They do run a bit on the warm side, and the H60 is good insurance.......especially for that price!!

One nice thing about the i7. It will "throttle back" when it starts approaching TJ max temp. It kinda has a built-in self-protection feature that can really help save that expensive Intel chip!!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
That's definitely great for crunching when your cranking that chip up for long periods of time. One of the reasons why I'm thinking of crunching again is these newer chips don't use nearly the same amounts of electricity that they used to.
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/