Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

join:2002-07-01
Wind Gap, PA

1 edit

Vostro 3700 laptop - Disabling onboard video?

I have never seen a dumber laptop than this, and I now hate Dell. I formatted this laptop, by default it's using the stupid Intel HD graphics despite having a Geforce 330m inside. I try to go to Dell's web site, download the proper nVidia driver and install it, but it never installs fully and always shows up as unusable in device manager. So then I uninstalled everything, rebooted, extraced Dell's file to a folder so I could see the individual files, and installed the drivers that way ("Have Disk", navigated to the .inf file). Now it shows up in device manager as the 330m and looks fine, but it was still using the onboard video.

I disabled onboard video from device manager and now of course there's nothing being used apparently, nVidia is just sitting there and Intel is disabled. Usually you can disable onboard stuff from the BIOS but there's nothing in there to allow me.

So basically the only way to install a driver is through Dell's web site, and their own driver does nothing. I can't get it to use its graphics card, only the Intel onboard.

Any ideas?

EDIT: So it seems like what this is doing is defaulting to the onboard when it's unplugged, and would only go to the nVidia when it's plugged in. Brilliant move by Dell to not allow that to be changed. Now I have no way of knowing if it's going to work because I don't have a charger here with me.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Vostro 3700 what?

Can you provide the specific downloads and specs page for the exact machine?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA
»www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-vostro···038.html

That's the closest I could find since Dell also takes spec pages down for systems they no longer sell.

»www.dell.com/support/troubleshoo···N1?s=BIZ

That's where I'm trying to install the driver. If I just run the file as is, all it wants me to do is install HD Audio. Only when I changed the .exe to .zip and extracted it, then manually pointed the install prompt to the .inf file within the folder did it finally install the GF330 and see it, but it's still not using it even when plugged in.
--
Intel X3350 Quad@3.6GHZ
Abit IP35 Pro
4096MB of Gskill
320GB+500GB SATA
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB OC

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to ice
Have you verified that the Hybrid graphics option is enabled in the systems Bios>Advanced section?

It "appears" to me that addon graphic adapter cannot be used as a discreet device but only in hybrid mode.

Also, I'm guessing you acquired this laptop second hand.

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA
I don't have a hybrid graphics option in the BIOS, I read that different versions may not have the option at all.

This is actually an older work laptop that I'm just trying to get going again, the reason they stopped using it is because it couldn't output to HDMI anymore.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to ice
Every onboard video driver I've ever dealt with needs to be disabled through your BIOS.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to ice

Have you tried taking the battery out and resetting the cmos?