Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

Using tile to add a shelf

Click for full size
Shower Shelf
Hi all! Looking to add a shelf in this cubby hole in my shower. I'd like to just get another tile of travertine like what's in the shower now and add another shelf where the yellow block is (by cutting a piece like what's at the top of the cubby hole). I was thinking of using some smaller cut pieces of the tile to support it like where the red block is, but not sure how to anchor it with something better than just grout and now see anything but tile, or at least make it look nice. It won't need to hold much weight, just the soap dish and the sort. My wife needs more room for her 50 products she uses to take a shower. Any suggestions?
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski

Premium Member

Just get a shower caddy, Mizzat. »www.lowes.com/pd_15126-6 ··· spn=pla"

Whatever you do to that cubby is going to look like crap.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
I would silicone pieces of that thin line on either sides of the cubby for support and use a piece of glass as the shelf. Tile will be too heavy, and the underside will be too porous.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
Or take AsherN's idea, left and right vertical supports made out of lexan. Cut the length of your tile shelf for an exact fit. I would be apprehensive using glass in a shower enclosure, due to breakage hazard.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Mizzat to cjski

Premium Member

to cjski
said by cjski:

Just get a shower caddy, Mizzat. »www.lowes.com/pd_15126-6 ··· spn=pla"

Whatever you do to that cubby is going to look like crap.

On the contrary, that caddy would look like crap

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to VioletVenom

MVM

to VioletVenom
said by VioletVenom:

I would be apprehensive using glass in a shower enclosure, due to breakage hazard.

Because large sheets of glass are never found near shows/tubs, like say the doors...

That being said, I probably would use acrylic or polycarbonate. Both are probably going to be easier to come by in a usable thickness and the edges can be finished easily.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by VioletVenom:

I would be apprehensive using glass in a shower enclosure, due to breakage hazard.

Because large sheets of glass are never found near shows/tubs, like say the doors...

True but even those can shatter unexpectedly. »abcnews.go.com/US/glass- ··· 17407544

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Mizzat

to Mizzat
For something cheap and easy to clean, I might go to a place that makes countertops and find a matching remnant of granite, Corian, etc. Have it cut to size and then use silicone caulk to fix it in place.

Otherwise I'd hire an experienced tile pro and tell him/her what I want.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
Tempered glass unless intentionally abused won't break easily.
(sample site below...using as a reference)
»www.dullesglassandmirror ··· lves.asp

Looking at your picture, I would (drill-anchor through tile) put two side mounts and two back mounts to hold a glass shelf.

You would get light and still have space for storing shampoos, soaps, shaving stuff...

I have a glass shelf (tempered) in my bathroom and its fine (though not in the shower as I already installed a two shelf insert from swanstone)

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
Tempered, as mentioned, and wouldn't see the same "traffic" as a shelf would. If someone wants to create a potential hazard in their house, more power to them. Doesn't affect me in the least. Just pointing out the obvious, people can use the advice anyway they wish.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Mizzat

to Mizzat
Just an addition to this, that cubby, make sure you maintain the grout joints with silicone and make sure water doesnt collect on the shelf, those things are notorious for collecting water and leaking creating a mold issue.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to ArgMeMatey

Premium Member

to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

For something cheap and easy to clean, I might go to a place that makes countertops and find a matching remnant of granite, Corian, etc. Have it cut to size and then use silicone caulk to fix it in place.

Otherwise I'd hire an experienced tile pro and tell him/her what I want.

+1, a shelf made out of tile will be too weak and look fragile. Making something from one of these materials will look and perform much better.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
Bust out the row of horizontal border tile inside the cubby - sides and back.

Get a piece of stone like at the top of the cubby, slide it in to the slots, and cement it in place.

Grout and you're done.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

And if it does break, tempered glass breaks into thousands of tiny pieces that are unlikely to cause serious injury. Unlike non-tempered glass which can break into large razor-sharp piece.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

said by cableties:

And if it does break, tempered glass breaks into thousands of tiny pieces that are unlikely to cause serious injury. Unlike non-tempered glass which can break into large razor-sharp piece.

Correct. They also laminate some glass so that if damaged, minimizes the pieces. But I do understand being on the cautious side.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

Mizzat

Premium Member

So I went back to Lowes where I'm pretty sure the renovator bought most of the tile, and found out they wet cut the tile for you, which is awesome.

Lowes guy cutting tile

I had made a cardboard cut out and the light didn't seem to be an issues, so that's why I chose to stick with the tile idea and not glass. The guy did a great job cutting it to exact proportions, and I only had to sand off a little to make it fit snugly.The tiles on the decorative part jut out a little, so they provided a base to sit on, and I just added some supports to the back, which the Lowes guy cut as well. It looks and works great! It's level except it is slightly tilted towards the short so water can run off.

shelf in place
Mizzat

Mizzat

Premium Member

oh, and it only ended up costing me about $10, $8 for the natural travertine shelf/tile and a couple bucks for the silicone as I had run out.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Is the underside of the tile sealed?

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA