join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Packeteers

to Packeteers

Re: [TWC] 8 Downstream Channels Added.

said by Packeteers:

said by motorola870:

since Turbo went to 20/2 which now requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem

this is total fiction - even 30/5 could comfortably be supported using a DOCSIS 2 modem, as each individual down/up channel has the theoretical capacity of 43/31Mbps.

and especially now that TWC is leasing modems, they have no incentive to give you equipment with a retail price 18 lease payments more than you actually need (on some very remote chance you'll pay more to upgrade your speed if and when it becomes available in your area). i live in an area with 50/5 support and was still given a $20 DOCSIS 2 ubee modem for 15/1 standard service. only because some invested their own money in DOCSIS 3 modems to avoid the lease fees, that you see them used while still on 15/1 or 20/2 plans.

TWC has stated on their website that DOCSIS 3.0 modems are the only ones they recommend for turbo and above:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

no 30 down on single DOCSIS channel is not even realistic you are sharing the channel and if you download at the 30Mbps really a maximum of 32Mbps thanks to over provisioning a single channel only has a net payload of 38.8Mbps and can only handle 1 extreme connection at once if it was used for extreme. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems supposedly are not that good at handling QAM64 upstreams in the field so that it is recommended that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for QAM64 upstreams. Most areas are transitioning to QAM64 also why would anyone want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem anymore they are outdated the SB5101 has been out for at least 7 years the technology is out of date and as TWC slowly upgrades their speed tiers to faster speeds such as the Kansas city turbo at 30/5 DOCSIS 2 modems are going to become useless and eventually the very bottom tier will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but that is several years off and that won't be needed until we have 16 downstream bonding or 32 downstream bonding which is coming in the next few years.
RangoJackson
join:2010-09-22
El Centro, CA

RangoJackson

said by motorola870:

said by Packeteers:

said by motorola870:

since Turbo went to 20/2 which now requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem

this is total fiction - even 30/5 could comfortably be supported using a DOCSIS 2 modem, as each individual down/up channel has the theoretical capacity of 43/31Mbps.

and especially now that TWC is leasing modems, they have no incentive to give you equipment with a retail price 18 lease payments more than you actually need (on some very remote chance you'll pay more to upgrade your speed if and when it becomes available in your area). i live in an area with 50/5 support and was still given a $20 DOCSIS 2 ubee modem for 15/1 standard service. only because some invested their own money in DOCSIS 3 modems to avoid the lease fees, that you see them used while still on 15/1 or 20/2 plans.

TWC has stated on their website that DOCSIS 3.0 modems are the only ones they recommend for turbo and above:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

no 30 down on single DOCSIS channel is not even realistic you are sharing the channel and if you download at the 30Mbps really a maximum of 32Mbps thanks to over provisioning a single channel only has a net payload of 38.8Mbps and can only handle 1 extreme connection at once if it was used for extreme. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems supposedly are not that good at handling QAM64 upstreams in the field so that it is recommended that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for QAM64 upstreams. Most areas are transitioning to QAM64 also why would anyone want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem anymore they are outdated the SB5101 has been out for at least 7 years the technology is out of date and as TWC slowly upgrades their speed tiers to faster speeds such as the Kansas city turbo at 30/5 DOCSIS 2 modems are going to become useless and eventually the very bottom tier will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but that is several years off and that won't be needed until we have 16 downstream bonding or 32 downstream bonding which is coming in the next few years.

I wish it was true here. I really want Ultimate but in this county TWC is lagging behind. The office here laughed at me when they saw that the phone rep upgraded me to Ultimate. They said it won't be awhile until D3 arrives. Well atleast they gave me 6 months of free turbo internet for the screw up.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them considering my DOCSIS 2 SB5101u modem does 31/1 according to TWCable's own result inflated test sight;

my guess is this is some incentive by TWCable to get Turbo people to lease the more expensive modems, or buy their own and keep upgrade intentions simmering behind their DOCSIS 3 ready modem.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Packeteers:

TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them considering my DOCSIS 2 SB5101u modem does 31/1 according to TWCable's own result inflated test sight;

[att=1]

my guess is this is some incentive by TWCable to get Turbo people to lease the more expensive modems, or buy their own and keep upgrade intentions simmering behind their DOCSIS 3 ready modem.

no another part of it the offering free wireless networking to turbo customers as TWC is no longer ordering wireless gateways that are DOCSIS 2.0
djc6
Premium Member
join:2007-11-28
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6 to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them

I was having a lot of downstream problems on the 20/2 tier at night with my DOCSIS 2.0 modem (Cisco 2100) until I purchased my own SB6141. Rarely at night would I get anywhere near my advertised speeds on TWC's own speed tests. Once I went DOCSIS 3.0 with four downstream channels, all of my problems went away. It's been a month now with no downstream sluggishness. At least for me, I now have a much more consistent experience even tho my old modem was capable of delivering those speeds on paper. The tech at the time told me that TWC was trying to only provision DOCSIS 3 equipment on new installs.