how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tee el cee

join:2010-01-30
Colts Neck, NJ

[DVR] So, how are the DVRs? (TiVo user)

The MPEG4 switch is obsoleting my Tivo HDs. I've sworn by TiVo for years, but I'm not exited about the price of TiVos current boxes and I think they'll leave me hanging again whenever FIOS goes IPTV.

How are the Verizon DVRs? Will I hate them compared to TiVo? We have 2 TVs and need 3 or 4 DVR tuners total. I saw 20+ hours on the website. Can an eSata drive be added?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
The 7232p2s and 7216p2s have 500gb drives for 80+ HD hours of recordings. And eSata can be added to these as well.

The 6416s (not MPEG4 compatible) have a 160gb hard drive and do the 20 HD hours as you indicated.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by kes601:

The 7232p2s and 7216p2s have 500gb drives for 80+ HD hours of recordings. And eSata can be added to these as well.

The 6416s (not MPEG4 compatible) have a 160gb hard drive and do the 20 HD hours as you indicated.

The original 7216's only have a 160gb drive. All 7216p2s are refurbished 7216's in which they have replaced the hd. Hopefully all 7216's now being given out have the larger drive, and have properly refurbished to eliminate any problem that might have caused the original owners to turn them in. Note many original 7216's may have been turned in to get larger drives.

mark_e

join:2009-03-09
Columbia, MD
reply to tee el cee
We have had Tivo's going back to a Sony S1 and currently have a Premiere XL. We also have a 7232. While the 7232 is much better than most cable DVRs, the interface and functionality are still below that of a Tivo. We find fast forwarding through shows much easier on the Tivo. The intelligence of the Tivo is much higher. For example, we put the network shows as higher priority in the season pass list over cable shows. When a conflict arises, the Tivo will record the cable show at a later time automatically. The 7232 would require that you manually select it.

The 7232 gives access to VOD and does have much better remote scheduling since it is always online, making it easy to do last minute recordings. The on screen caller id is also nice. Having multiple VZ DVRs would let you share recordings seamlessly using multi hub.

That being said, your are correct that the gap is much narrower than in the past. We have had the same thought you have should some VZ action render our Tivo obsolete.

I'd suggest you get a 7232 to try and see whether it satisfies you. If you pick one up there's no shipping and can do a test drive. As with most things, you really need to evaluate it yourself to make a decision.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to tnsprin
Umm, that's what I said. The p2s all have 500gb drives....

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to tee el cee
After 7-8 years of fretting and 0 movement toward IPTV, I think we can safely say that Verizon is never completely switching their system over to IPTV.

MPEG4 is their plan for the future.

OK - maybe not "Never," but certainly not during the break-even period for your TiVo purchase + Lifetime Service vs. Monthly DVR Rental. Should be about 3 - 4 years if you shop right.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
I think you could easily get newer Tivo's to work with MPEG-4 and be safe with that for awhile. and i mean years

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to tee el cee
Almost forgot to mention - don't forget to factor the primary benefit of ownership - resale - into your break-even point calculation.

If for some reason the TiVO does become obsolete for you, it won't be obsolete for everyone. Older TiVos with lifetime service fetch a good price on eBay (This Series 3 just sold for about $400 for example).

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 recommendation

reply to tee el cee
I think of out of all the other cable/telco providers (not including satellite) FIOS has the best overall DVR available. HD Guide, Esata capable and multiroom functions are hard to find from other providers.

bobcamp177

join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY
reply to tee el cee
The only thing you'll miss is the auto-record wishlist feature. You gain a lot of VOD though.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

I think of out of all the other cable/telco providers (not including satellite) FIOS has the best overall DVR available. HD Guide, Esata capable and multiroom functions are hard to find from other providers.

I would 150% disagree with you there and i am sure many many others will also. Tivo right now has the best HD Guide hands Down. Direct TV is the king of multiroom.. Both do ESATA also

TiVoJo

@verizon.net
reply to tee el cee
said by tee el cee:

How are the Verizon DVRs? Will I hate them compared to TiVo?

Yes, Bigtime!!!

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by TiVoJo :

said by tee el cee:

How are the Verizon DVRs? Will I hate them compared to TiVo?

Yes, Bigtime!!!

Your opinion, not mine.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to tee el cee
I've used both (initial 6xxx series DVR) and I chose to return to TiVo. It'd be nice to have Verizon VOD but as others have pointed out over the years, there are other resources.