uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

Tomb Raider

I picked this game up for free from Steam with a coupon code I got with my new video card, and it is absolutely beautiful.

The story so far is great, and the game/cinematics are stunning. I've been playing it on max settings and I get an average of 38 fps on the in game benchmark.

Is anyone else playing it?
--
[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2717527][img]»valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/···g][/url]

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Waiting for a sale as I have a shitload of games to play through already, but am definitely going to pick it up sometime soon.

Out of curiosity, how is the port to PC in general? Mainly the controls and the graphics customization is what has me curious the most.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Have you seen the TressFX technology? The game looks nearly lifelike.

Source: »blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
First time I see that. That is pretty damn impressive.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
This game will be at the top of my list when I rebuild my computer to a Haswell or IB-E i7 and 2x 7970s. I wanna see this at 2560x1440!
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
I think I will need to add a second gfx card for mine. I have a feeling my current one will crap out. :\

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Also be aware of »Nvidia asks users not to play Tomb Raider until optimized

It will be weeks-to-months before this game runs passably on Nvidia cards. Definitely a chance for an AMD card to shine.

»cdn.overclock.net/d/d7/d764f942_···sfx.jpeg
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Doesn't concern me, I have a Radeon... my only problem is I am not sure how well it will handle it as it's not a very powerful one. (HD 7770).

It should be okay if I go crossfire, though.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain
This game does look cool as hell. I'll probably pick it up in another month or so. I'm looking to do a GPU upgrade maybe in April, so maybe Nvidia will have some new drivers by then.

So I guess TressFX is AMD's version of PhysX?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
From what I understand, it can run on both Nvidia and AMD cards, but AMD has cards with more raw power, so its cards handle it better.

Right now the point is moot--from what I've heard, the game is downright unplayable for Nvidia users using less than a 680/690/Titan with TressFX turned on.

»Nvidia asks users not to play Tomb Raider until optimized
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to McBrain
Im not a huge TB but do want to play this. 2650x1600 GTX680 SLI ftw!

Will wait for a Steam sale.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone
Are you gonna play WoW? You will need at least 2x 690's to play on ultra.

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to McBrain
I too have loved the game so far. Took me away from PoE, so that tells you how much I like it!

I run dual 670's and the game does push them to the max most of the time. I run in ultra with SLI and have my CPU running Physx for me. I pulled 60 fps on the benchmark with sync on. I turned it off and normally see 50-80 fps in the game.

I use a 360 style controller and it plays great. Can customize the button layout, something I like.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to McBrain
i got this for free from giga for my video card purchase beat it last night on normal with 73% map completion . going back through now to clean up the mobs i missed and the secret stashes and things.

all in all its a brilliant game. there a couple mini boss fights that are challenging enough to make them very fun especially the end boss. i particularly love the swarms of mobs that come after you and you have to use the terrain and dodge effectively to survive.

what is everyone's favourite weapon. i am partial to the bow and the rifle, favour the bow though it is just too yummy
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
reply to cymraeg
Wtf for a second there I thought you were talking about gw2....

I am excited to play this!
--
--
dslreports.com

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Krisnatharok
Yeah dude, the shit is sick...the TressFX tech is ridiculous. You can't tell the difference in the cinematics and the gameplay, its insane.

FWIW on my system I ran 48 FPS max on the in game benchmark and 38 FPS average. This was on ultra settings with everything enabled.

I'm about 15% through the story, and I've shelved it for the moment. Since I play games left handed, this one is a real challenge for me, so I am going to wait a couple days until I can pick up an Xbox controller to really go wild on it...I don't want to spoil any of the fun because I'm ass backwards and the controls feel clunky in my wrong-handedness.
--

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by McBrain:

I am going to wait a couple days until I can pick up an Xbox controller to really go wild on it

Wireless Xbox controller FTW. It's just a personal preference of mine on any "3rd person" type games such as this one.

This game does look gorgeous. I can't wait to play it on max settings.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to McBrain
Tressfx got reworked somewhat for the game, looks better IMHO.

Can't wait for the summer sale so I can pick this game up!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ4Dri29yuc

EDIT: he first part is standard hair, the second part is TressFX before the patch, and the rest is current hair.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to McBrain
Does anybody know how the graphics compare between the PS3 version and the PC?

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to McBrain
What resolution?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to graniterock
said by graniterock:

Does anybody know how the graphics compare between the PS3 version and the PC?

Don't even ask that at this point... there is no comparison.
--

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Ok... PC version it is.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The screen caps in the thread concerning the new tech should be obvious...

Gandalf4503

join:2002-06-27
Cohoes, NY
reply to McBrain
I'm experiencing crashing issues running this game on a 670 with the latest Nvidia drivers. I'm not running it maxed out since I have a single GPU, but most settings are on high or above and it runs at around 48 - 60 FPS (obviously with tessfx off).

While the game is fun so far and I did enjoy what I played, I'm going to hold off until a driver / game update comes out to fix the issues with Nvidia cards before playing more. Not being able to run the game maxed out is fine to me, but crashes aren't something I want to deal with.

Plus, with QTE's being extremely annoying, it'd really piss me off if I got past one and had the game crash on me.

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Krisnatharok
Truthfully, I very rarely do serious gaming on my PS3. I either use it to watch media or the odd fun game with other people. My graphics card is in no shape for the game so if the PS3 was remotely comparable I'd opt for it because I'm not in the mood for a GPU upgrade.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I can't speak to how well optimized it is for older systems, but it looks gorgeous on 1) high-end systems and 2) AMD cards.
--

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
I think I will add this to my games to play when I upgrade list. By then I'm likely to get it cheap on Steam.

I assume you guys are finding the gameplay as good as the graphics?

Gandalf4503

join:2002-06-27
Cohoes, NY
said by graniterock:

I think I will add this to my games to play when I upgrade list. By then I'm likely to get it cheap on Steam.

I assume you guys are finding the gameplay as good as the graphics?

It's one of those highly scripted games that's similar to Uncharted in that it's trying to give you a movie-like experience. Lots of QTE's and events which you can't avoid throughout. While it does look good and is overall fun, it depends on what you want out of your game. Personally, I don't feel that this game has any replayability and based on reviews the multiplayer is just tacked on, with nothing special. I have no interest in that aspect, regardless.

If funds are an issue, then this would be a good $20 game. It is fun, don't get that wrong, but I personally dislike having options taken away from me, and so that does detract from it a bit. I'm more of a fan of Deus Ex kind of games where you can take multiple routes and be a lot more creative rather than being restricted to a more linear approach like here in Tomb Raider.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
You're right about the replayability. The game shows off the new technology beautifully, and that is its major selling point.

And I play on 1920x1080 resolution.