how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrZEUS

join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

VOIP.ms on the go?

Is there a way I can use my voip.ms service when I am on the road from my laptop? Would like to use my voip.ms service while travelling where there is a wifi connection of course.

What additional equipment would be required?

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

All you need is a softphone like 3CXPhone or Zoiper. Both are free to download. We've been loving 3CX. Google them.

You'll need to set up a separate Voip.ms sub-account for the soft phone. If you want it to ring for incoming calls along with your other phone(s) then you'll also need to set up a ring group.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to DrZEUS

You can also use your smartphone with voip.ms. There are tons of SIP apps. I'm not going to list them all.
VoIP over 3G is "so-so". VoIP over a good wifi connection is fine.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to DrZEUS

If you set up all your phones as sub-accounts, then you can call for free between each extension, no matter where you travel.

DaveL

join:2005-11-12
Urbana, IL
reply to DrZEUS

Question using the softphone as shown in this thread:
If the laptop has a weak speaker and microphone and/or you don't want to broadcast the conversation what is the next link in the chain? Some kind of plug in to the laptop?

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Something like this would do the trick.

»www.amazon.com/Computer-Headphon···00SR201W

zm

join:2001-06-19
canada

That one has separate microphone and headphone jacks. On my Thinkpad I have a single combined jack, and the headset that came with my cell phone works well for the purpose. I think a bluetooth hadset will work as well if the laptop supports it.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

I've used this
»www.amazon.com/Plantronics-MX500···+headset
mostly because it's a jack of all trades - can be used with regular phones that have a headset jack, cell phones, computers, and USB.
Plus it takes up very little space (important when travelling) and is very light - can wear it for hours without even realizing it's there.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to lilarry

You'll need to set up a separate Voip.ms sub-account for the soft phone. If you want it to ring for incoming calls along with your other phone(s) then you'll also need to set up a ring group.

ahhh . . that's it. i had outgoing working but not incoming. thanks for this nugget.
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."