pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora

Premium Member

Nexus 4, Straight Talk AT&T and I'm online

My Comcast went out, the router is attached to my Nexus 4 which is Wi-Fi tethering using AT&T via Straight Talk. Speed isn't fantastic, and streaming of flash is slow, but works with short stuff (wouldn't be good enough for a long video).

Overall I'm impressed by how easy it was. We have a Generac to provide power and our phone is providing Internet. Our loss of power and Internet hasn't cause a lot of trouble. This is the first time both emergency Internet and power have been active in a real situation (we are currently have about 6 inches of snow and high winds).

Kudos Google, kudos Straight Talk / AT&T, and kudos Generac.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Which Generac? I'm thinking of investing in one.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora

Premium Member

It's a Generac Guardian Series 5887 20,000 Watt unit running off a 1,000 gallon propane tank. It powers our home without much trouble.

The cost per day is expensive compared to the cost from our utility, but it beats not having power. The two 200 amp automatic transfer switches were almost as expensive as the generator.

When utility power goes out, it takes about 15 seconds for the Generac to take over, when the utility restores power, the automatic transfer switches back after about 20 seconds, the generator runs a minute or so to cool down with no load before turning off.
pandora

pandora to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
I just switched from my AT&T Straight Talk phone, to an identical Nexus 4 using T-Mobile. T-Mobile is amazingly faster.

I was getting about 400 KB down on the AT&T SIM, and am getting close to 3 MB on the T-Mobile.

Ping times are lower too.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to pandora

to pandora
If you live in T-Mobile's 4G coverage area, they are the way to go, almost unlimited data.
ATT's has better coverage, slower HSPA+ speeds, limit the data to 1.5 GB per month.

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by toby:

If you live in T-Mobile's 4G coverage area, they are the way to go, almost unlimited data.
ATT's has better coverage, slower HSPA+ speeds, limit the data to 1.5 GB per month.

Indeed, I live in ATT's strong coverage area, speeds are so so but consistent 4-6mbps down 1mbps up for the past 2yrs that I've had ST(Att sim).
Havent tried ST (tmo sim) but some folks I know have TMO and I know how iffy their coverage is, speeds a bit faster but not by much.
Similar to sprint has about the same or better TMO coverage but their speed sucks on certain devices, I know a friend with a Note 2 has blazing fast 10mbps-25mbps download speed.
Parents at home both have iPhone 4 and 4s with sprint & it has horrible web signal at home, but call signal is not an issue.