uniqs
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF

Re: Samsung FiOS smart app issues

said by DGGSLF:

Update: I double checked my "video" apps on my TV today and sure enough, the FiOS TV app was now listed. I'm not sure when it was added but I did not need to update the firmware for it appear, so it looks like the issue was on the Verizon side (not a Samsung issue).

Why would it be "on the Verizon side?" The Samsung apps are maintained by Samsung and your TV or Blu-ray player pulls them from Samsung, not Verizon -- just like any other Samsung app. Once installed the app communicates with Verizon servers, but the app itself is pulled from Samsung -- just like the iPad app comes from the Apple app store, not Verizon. The reason that no firmware was required is that the Samsung Smart Hub displays available apps from what a server database tells it are available, which changes regularly. It's like the FiOS widgets. When a widget is added to the available list of widgets, there is no firmware change to the STB software.

The reason I replied with this is that often people are critical of Verizon, and most often they deserve it, but I don't believe they do in this case. IMHO.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

PJL,

I believe it was a Verizon problem and here is why. Verizon has updated the app several times to resolve issues and if I look at the version date and number on the app that was installed on my TV today, the release date is 02/27/13.

If you read from the begining of this thread (and another thread that I opened), you'll see how long ago this issue was being worked by VZ. I also have feedback in the direct forum that VZ was working on resolving my issue, so I speak with some historical facts as a basis.

I think there may have been a week's delay on the Samsung side to get it into the app store (I assume for testing/validation purposes).

Bottom line, its working now!
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by DGGSLF:

PJL,

I believe it was a Verizon problem and here is why. Verizon has updated the app several times to resolve issues and if I look at the version date and number on the app that was installed on my TV today, the release date is 02/27/13.

If you read from the begining of this thread (and another thread that I opened), you'll see how long ago this issue was being worked by VZ. I also have feedback in the direct forum that VZ was working on resolving my issue, so I speak with some historical facts as a basis.

I think there may have been a week's delay on the Samsung side to get it into the app store (I assume for testing/validation purposes).

Bottom line, its working now!

The information you added easily convinced me. Verizon has a terrible track record with app development -- whether it's on Android, iPad, and Samsung as you point out, but at least not on Windows 8 -- oh they don't have any on that platform -- and even their own STB widgets. They put something out that is so buggy that people get turned off by the experience. (See, I can be critical too!)