uniqs

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

Behold! Age of Empires II returns in HD

»www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/ ··· april-9/

OMG YES!!! This is, by far, the game I have sunk the most hours of play in ANY game.

AoE was the first RTS I played. My nick name, TigerLord, comes from AoE. I was playing the French version of the game (I didn't speak English back then) and there was some dude in the campains called "Le Seigneur des Leopards" (the lord of Leopard). Being a kid I thought it sounded cool, but always preferred tigers to leopard, so opted for "Lord of the Tigers", but it was too long... so it became TigerLord.

I took AoE and AoE gameplay so seriously I was doing online tournaments as part of a French speaking clan. I remember winning 300$ at 14 for winning one. That was a lot of money back then. Little did I know I would spend it all on LoL later.

Very excited to see AoEII again. AoEIII was not the same at all, they destroyed the spirit that were in AoE, RoR and AoEII.

Who else is going to play this HD re-release? I'll smush you!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I will play, Orcs FTW!!!

oh wait....

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by Jobbie:

I will play, Orcs FTW!!!

oh wait....

You will love AoE, your ancestors the Aztecs are in the game.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I played it, and loved it, can't wait for this to be available.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

You and I Jobbie. You and I will play this a lot.

I can see it. Two grown man, lots of beers, side by side, each looking at their monitor, poopsock at the ready, conquering the world.

It will be epic.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Oh man release this already!

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I have to warn you, I may turn in a Savious-like raging nerd and take out the mathematics if the AoEII beast in me resurfaces.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm to TigerLord

to TigerLord
AoE was my first RTS also. Loved that game, especially the Tueton specialty unit. I put wayyy too much time into the game lol. To this day I still laugh at myself for pronouncing trebuchets as "tree-buckets" lol

Never did play 2 & 3 though so maybe I'll give this a whirl when it comes out.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Nightfall to TigerLord

MVM

to TigerLord
If you are interested in getting this, let me know. I can buy a 4 pack and we can split the cost. Send me a PM. First 3 people who are interested get in on it.

EDIT: I have 3 people already.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I play this every Tuesday when WoW is down. I can't wait to see this in HD.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I have to warn you, I may turn in a Savious-like raging nerd and take out the mathematics if the AoEII beast in me resurfaces.

We got Savious under control, we can handle you too.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Oh, it's releasing April 9th and Steam has it for 17.99 pre-order. I am stoked.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Awesome! I remember playing AoE back in the day on my Compaq 500Mhz PC. Maybe it was AoE 3. I had loads of fun just playing single player.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Preordered thanks to Nightfall's 4 pack. Oh man I forgot how I missed this game.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

2 edits

fartness (banned) to TigerLord

to TigerLord
I used to love that game, but then MS never updated it and the hacks made online play un-playable. Judging by Youtube, people are playing it again, so I'm not sure what became of the MS Gaming Zone. Looks like this new one will be on Steam. I never got into later versions of AOE (such as 3, etc.). They just weren't the same. I always thought AOE 2 (The Conquerors) was the best. I use to play it for hours and hours and hours. I played for a good 5 or 6 years straight, got really good at it, then like I said, online play (around 2006) became un-playable due to the hacks and general lack of interest from people likely because of it.

Original requirements were 166mhz I think. The game is like 14 years old. I should still have the CD somewhere from back in the day. Went through a couple CD's since I played so much and they got so scratched up. Hopefully this new version will allow more than 200 units since computers are faster, as are broadband connections. Most people started playing on dialup or really crappy broadband with high ping times. I see more support for "newer" technology on this HD version, so I'll definitely buy it. "Multi-monitor" support looks to be a nice feature. I hope I can use my four monitors. It's available for all the latest Windows OSes.

I remember we even tried to start a BBR clan probably 10 to 12 years ago or so but then it didn't get much interest.

Anyone going in on a 4 pack deal? It's only $15 that way.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

4 of us already got on it, so start a new pool and see if peeps bite again!

I agree with you about AoEIII and Age pf Mythology being too different. Wasn't the same at all.

Steam will be the new MS Gaming Zone as you deducted.

It will be awesome.
TigerLord

TigerLord to Jobbie

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Preordered thanks to Nightfall's 4 pack. Oh man I forgot how I missed this game.

Me too! I went back reading my old strategy notes (still had them in .txt files) and got the geek giggles.

It's all about timings in this game, and there's twice as many resources than in SC to think of, so there's more macro and bit a less micro than in SC too.

Back in the days I was a guild master and to be promoted to higher guild ranks that reflected your skill level you had to prove your mastered different types of strategies.

I specialized in the SMUSH, a Saracen monk rush that required fast castling and the production of 2 monks. If perfectly executed, you had two monks in the enemy's town by 15:00, well before they're in Castle.

It was so unusual that people panicked and reacted poorly 90% of the time.

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to TigerLord

to TigerLord
i used to love this game...

i played britons... and did Town Center creep for the win! ftw!

is this free? websense....

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

Oh, it's releasing April 9th and Steam has it for 17.99 pre-order. I am stoked.

UREEDGUD

$15 on a 4 Pack

BigReds42
Premium Member
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42

Premium Member

I actually didn't know you could play this multiplayer!

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by BigReds42:

I actually didn't know you could play this multiplayer!

I don't think I ever played the campaign in any of the AoE games

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I did on the Conquerors. Fun but after you do it once there's no much reason to play it again.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Agreed. I did them just to see what they were like, beat them all, then never touched them again. Btw I think we played multiplayer back in the day.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I think Microsoft only did this as a money grab after this was released in January:

»www.forgottenempires.net/

It's a 3rd party mod for AOE2 which enables HD, adds new campaigns, balances the civs further, and adds 5 new civs. For free.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Gordo74:

I think Microsoft only did this as a money grab after this was released in January:

It's a 3rd party mod for AOE2 which enables HD, adds new campaigns, balances the civs further, and adds 5 new civs. For free.

Possibly. I don't know much about this other than its a mod. Anyone play it? Just based on the description, they added a lot of cool features.

At the same time, the new AOE2 HD version is going to include steam workshop. The workshop is an easy way to expand the game beyond just the plain jane version. This will make it easy for the common consumer to find all the mods. Heck, its so easy my dad can find mods for Skyrim and he isn't very computer literate.

Oh, and if you don't have your AOE2 disks like I don't have anymore, then the $20 pays for that as well. The mod still requires the original game. Lastly, what about multiplayer? That is the strength of getting it on Steam as well.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

1 edit

to TigerLord
Is anyone taking off from work on the release date? lol... people do it for bigger games than this, so probably not. I'm stil considering it since I loved this game so much.

Also since it's been awhile, I need to read back up on strategy (gameplay and what units to use, ie. dont attack a group of spearman with knights, etc.). Any good websites?

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by Gordo74:

Possibly. I don't know much about this other than its a mod. Anyone play it? Just based on the description, they added a lot of cool features.

At the same time, the new AOE2 HD version is going to include steam workshop. The workshop is an easy way to expand the game beyond just the plain jane version. This will make it easy for the common consumer to find all the mods. Heck, its so easy my dad can find mods for Skyrim and he isn't very computer literate.

Oh, and if you don't have your AOE2 disks like I don't have anymore, then the $20 pays for that as well. The mod still requires the original game. Lastly, what about multiplayer? That is the strength of getting it on Steam as well.

I have played it. Works well. Yes, it needs the base game. Multiplayer works as well (LAN and internet).
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

to TigerLord
My guess is tactics and ways of playing have advanced in the past 10 years? I was real good then, but my ways are probably nothing now (despite the fact I'll be rusty).

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Timings have not changed.
TigerLord

TigerLord to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Also since it's been awhile, I need to read back up on strategy (gameplay and what units to use, ie. dont attack a group of spearman with knights, etc.). Any good websites?

»www.salamyhkaiset.org/aoe2/