join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to BigReds42

Re: Behold! Age of Empires II returns in HD

said by BigReds42:

I actually didn't know you could play this multiplayer!

I don't think I ever played the campaign in any of the AoE games

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I did on the Conquerors. Fun but after you do it once there's no much reason to play it again.
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Agreed. I did them just to see what they were like, beat them all, then never touched them again. Btw I think we played multiplayer back in the day.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to TigerLord

I think Microsoft only did this as a money grab after this was released in January:

»www.forgottenempires.net/

It's a 3rd party mod for AOE2 which enables HD, adds new campaigns, balances the civs further, and adds 5 new civs. For free.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by Gordo74:

I think Microsoft only did this as a money grab after this was released in January:

It's a 3rd party mod for AOE2 which enables HD, adds new campaigns, balances the civs further, and adds 5 new civs. For free.

Possibly. I don't know much about this other than its a mod. Anyone play it? Just based on the description, they added a lot of cool features.

At the same time, the new AOE2 HD version is going to include steam workshop. The workshop is an easy way to expand the game beyond just the plain jane version. This will make it easy for the common consumer to find all the mods. Heck, its so easy my dad can find mods for Skyrim and he isn't very computer literate.

Oh, and if you don't have your AOE2 disks like I don't have anymore, then the $20 pays for that as well. The mod still requires the original game. Lastly, what about multiplayer? That is the strength of getting it on Steam as well.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
reply to TigerLord

Is anyone taking off from work on the release date? lol... people do it for bigger games than this, so probably not. I'm stil considering it since I loved this game so much.

Also since it's been awhile, I need to read back up on strategy (gameplay and what units to use, ie. dont attack a group of spearman with knights, etc.). Any good websites?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

said by Gordo74:

Possibly. I don't know much about this other than its a mod. Anyone play it? Just based on the description, they added a lot of cool features.

At the same time, the new AOE2 HD version is going to include steam workshop. The workshop is an easy way to expand the game beyond just the plain jane version. This will make it easy for the common consumer to find all the mods. Heck, its so easy my dad can find mods for Skyrim and he isn't very computer literate.

Oh, and if you don't have your AOE2 disks like I don't have anymore, then the $20 pays for that as well. The mod still requires the original game. Lastly, what about multiplayer? That is the strength of getting it on Steam as well.

I have played it. Works well. Yes, it needs the base game. Multiplayer works as well (LAN and internet).

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to TigerLord

My guess is tactics and ways of playing have advanced in the past 10 years? I was real good then, but my ways are probably nothing now (despite the fact I'll be rusty).

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

Timings have not changed.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Also since it's been awhile, I need to read back up on strategy (gameplay and what units to use, ie. dont attack a group of spearman with knights, etc.). Any good websites?

»www.salamyhkaiset.org/aoe2/

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BigReds42

said by BigReds42:

I actually didn't know you could play this multiplayer!

Oh yeah. You could join in games at the Microsoft game site. Of course most of the time you'd join a game and the other player would immediately be on you locus. MS tried to cut down on hacks but it really couldn't then. My son and I used to play a lot of LAN. He never could figure out what one of my peasants was doing standing outside his town.
--
FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord

This releases next Tuesday people!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

My body is ready

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord

Poopsock at the ready! FIRE!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Click for full size
ready to go

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to TigerLord

No it doesn't... it's pre-released this Friday for those who bought it already (most of us?)... anyone know what time Friday? 12AM EST?

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

I did not even know that

Pre-Purchase and get Early Access!
Age of Empires II HD will be released on April 5th to customers who pre-purchase the game on Steam!

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord

Jobbie, Im reserving my Friday night for this.

You in?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Lets do it

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
reply to TigerLord

Oh yeaaaaaa, will buy this tonight when I get home from work!

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to TigerLord

30 Wololo

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Jobbie

In spite of not having played for years, HBEE is still firmly engraved in my mind. I still remember most hotkeys, my timings and openings, 15 years later.

This will be so much fun.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

said by TigerLord:

I don't remember my builds, hotkeys and timings but the Aztecs will prevail.

This will be so much fun.

Fixed for me.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord

Preload button is up on Steam

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to TigerLord

The thing I read which I like the most....the 500 unit limit. The 200 limit was a real pain in the ass. Now the 500 unit limit is going to be epic.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

200/200 has been standard for so long... but I agree 500/500 will make 2v2 or 3v3 very, very epic.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

Thats a lot of Longbows.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
reply to TigerLord

Would anyone mind sharing any informative/well written websites with strategies and just basic information? Definitely going to be out of touch with this one upon release.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

»www.salamyhkaiset.org/aoe2/

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to TigerLord

The 500 units will make for different game play, especially when resources get exhausted. I will be playing a lot in the next 24 hours. Can't wait!