Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Rumor: Ivy Bridge-E pushed to Q4

said by The Tech Report :

Rumor: Ivy Bridge-E pushed to Q4

Just about 14 months have passed since Intel launched its Sandy Bridge-E processors for high-end desktops. Their Ivy Bridge-E replacements are due out this year, but according to Fudzilla, the chips will arrive later than expected. The site's sources claim Ivy Bridge-E was supposed to debut in the third quarter but has instead been pushed toward the end of the year.

Well this sucks. Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

You might as well just do your new build man. Go with an Ivy Bridge. Q4 is a long ways out now.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I got this crazy idea to do an FX-8350 on a Crosshair VFZ, water cool it, and ramp it to 5.0 GHz. Someone talk me out of it...
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

haha, now you talking crazy.

Just go IB, maybe an i7. Watercool it, and OC the crap out of it. I know you already got a watercooler, maybe upgrade to a larger style like the H100 or even a 110.

There's people OC'ing IB up to 4.7ghz. That'll probably scream compared to what you got right now.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I just hate rolling with PCIe 3.0 x8/x8. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems...

Haswell sounds like an imminent clusterfuck.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

The majority of people out there running Crossfire 7970's are doing so on PCIe 3.0 x8/x8. That's a beast of a setup man.

Personally, I don't think you would notice a huge difference, if any in some games.

If you're constantly waiting for the latest and greatest new gen hardware to release, then you're going to be doing more waiting then anything.

I'm upgrading my GPU probably next month. If I waited for the new Nvidia 7 series to release, that could be another 8-10 months. So I'm just going to roll with what's out now.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Yes, but what about in x years when he gets new gpus for CF/sli, and x8/x8 isn't enough but x16/x16 would be?

Yeah waiting forever isn't a good idea, but with how little ipc increase cpus have gotten in the past 2 yearS(IB/what haswell is projected to have) getting all those pcie 3.0 lanes that IB-E should support he could be rocking solid cpu/mobo-wise for a good long time. Gpus are having larger increases than cpus these days. Sure normally it would be a no brainier to not wait, but this will be the first intel-e chip to support > x8/x8 pcie 3.0 card set ups.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone

Dammit now you have me the thinking... the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 sure has nice stats (ugly color scheme however), and uses a PLX chip for x16/x16 too....
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Krisnatharok:

Dammit now you have me the thinking... the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 sure has nice stats (ugly color scheme however), and uses a PLX chip for x16/x16 too....

What the hell you waiting for meng. There you go.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to Krisnatharok

PLX or XYZ chip, the PCI express controller is part of the CPU and Ivybridge has a total of 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes. The chipset or the I/O hub they like to call it has an additional 8 2.0 lanes. Having a PLX or XYZ chip to multiplex the lanes differently doesn't change the end results of how much bandwidth the 16 lanes the CPU has.

PCI-e 3.0 has double the bandwidth of 2.0 and there's a 5%-10% performance increase going from 2.0 to 3.0 with the GTX680. So I would venture a guess and say it's pretty much impossible to utilize all this bandwidth with what we have currently (including Titan).

Pretty moot point comparing running 8x8 or 16x16 as it was with PCI-e 2.0.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I got this crazy idea to do an FX-8350 on a Crosshair VFZ, water cool it, and ramp it to 5.0 GHz. Someone talk me out of it...

If you can afford it, and get a stable computer, have some fun.

I've built twp 3370K's in the past six months, and they don't seem to be major improvements over older i7's other than power consumption and basic built in graphics.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Intel often delays products. With no specific insider information it wouldn't be surprising if Ivy Bridge-E or Haswell missed their respective target release,....quarters.

Sandy Bridge-E went through predicted platform features being cut (SAS support, SSD caching and so on) missing / delayed processors in the release lineup (Core i7 3820), VT-d errata in the C1 stepping that would only be corrected in C2 stepping, unproven / questionable PCIe 3.0 support and more,....

Stuff happens,....

I'm not sure what Ivy Bridge-E will bring to the table (I've heard no new chipset) but delays and issues are something I have personally come to expect,....

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

If you have a good water loop you should be able to get over 5.0ghz.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

Kris, as you've pointed out MANY times, even an OC'd 8350 is no where near an OC'd 3770k in overall performance. Don't you dare think of that again.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

You might as well just do your new build man. Go with an Ivy Bridge. Q4 is a long ways out now.

If he's looking at IB-E why would he roll IB?
it'd be SB-E for now.
--
»Death Star Petition

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

I'm more interested in Haswell than Ivy-E, but if the next-gen GPUs don't launch this year anyways I probably won't be getting either.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74:

Kris, as you've pointed out MANY times, even an OC'd 8350 is no where near an OC'd 3770k in overall performance. Don't you dare think of that again.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But every so often I wonder how close the underdog could go with the right hardware...
--