how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dalionath

join:2013-03-06
Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB

Steam os

idk if im in the right place but did someon heard about steam that making there own os because they hate windows 8 and not making steam compatible with windows 8?

and whos excited for it? i am kinda i will try it for sure

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12

If you're referring to the SteamBox thing, believe it is using some variation of Linux.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Dalionath

I know of no OS that was even remotely hinted at by Valve. Gabe hates Win 8 and the MS Store (direct competition for Steam.... potentially, eventually) so Valve has done a Steam for Linux.
»www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/d···astrophe
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Dalionath

join:2013-03-06
Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB
reply to Adalicia

not the steambox they want to make a steam os for computer's so instead of using windows os it would be steam :P

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Its probably just gonna be a linux distro. Try out ubuntu if you want to try a linux distro.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
reply to Dalionath

The only time Valve has said anything about that was in conjunction to their SteamBox thing, which will run Linux. They never made any mention of a proprietary OS to be introduced into the market as a competitor to Windows.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Dalionath

Steam is in the process of porting games over to linux.

They are also working on the steambox.

I dunno why they would want to go through the bother of creating/porting a version of linux to a PC OS.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
reply to Dalionath

I was done with steam a long time ago.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

said by diablo1892:

I was done with steam a long time ago.

You're missin out...

diablo1892

Friendly, WV

a bunch of BS? no thanks, I already know what steam is capable of.
I have'nt been online with my account over 2 months now and ever since i have'nt looked back.

I have my steam in offline so i'm good

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by diablo1892:

I have'nt been online with my account over 2 months now and ever since i have'nt looked back.

Okay...now I'm curious as to what your issues are with Steam?

Because I've never had a single issue with them, ever.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

I dunno why they would want to go through the bother of creating/porting a version of linux to a PC OS.

I don't think you'd need to port it, you could just run it directly on top of an Ubuntu/Debian CLI no?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

qft

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by diablo1892:

Now that you mention it I'd like to know that too. If anything Steam Sales + Ease of use have kept me away from gaming piracy for a couple of years at least.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by diablo1892:

Now that you mention it I'd like to know that too. If anything Steam Sales + Ease of use have kept me away from gaming piracy for a couple of years at least.

I second this, the gog sales too I might add.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by me1212:

I second this, the gog sales too I might add.

Agreed, I've picked up tons of great stuff from GOG too.
--

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Dalionath

Well here it is..

My list of negatives about steam.
1). Why should we need to have steam open when playing our games offline or online? It's like a teacher watching over us as we play outside in the fenced in area durring ressecc.

2). The option wheather to have auto updatting enabled or disabled is broken. I'v tried setting ALL 100 games to do NO updatting but updatting still continues and without my permission.

3). Say you jump online real quick to see the store and then jump to offline mode, one of your games seen an update. You can't play that game till the update it seen is downloaded.

4). I just reinstalled my windows and am now signing into steam client and notice I need some sorta code from my email.. This makes it tough when I switch from one OS back to my other OS making this impossible. (same goes to browser)

5). I got a new game and already started playing it, next day comes and come to find out the authenticator had become broken on it so I am forced to re-download the entire game again or use back up coppies of the install.

6). For some downloading is extremely tough even for a game thats around 1GB or someone that has a download limit (like myself) so the pause button will be used quite often here.

7). Steam is'nt compatible with all email providers. I tried my live account and nearly lost my steam account cause I was locked out and could'nt get the codes steam had sent me to work. After trying and hopping through hopeless hoops again and again Steam eventually quits sending me codes to get back in so there for I gave up.

8). Tech support is as bad as hughesnet witch would be waiting up to 2 weeks to finally get an answer. Steam does'nt have tech support by phone.

9). Just coming online to client will already use up 160mbs of ram while in offline mode it will only use 15mbs (at start) and when running games, chat windows it can increase much higher, sometimes 1GB

10). I have a difficult time trying to get steam to use install disc's instead of using my connection to download the game.

11). There are no singleplayer modes on any of the F2P games except for 1.

12). When you just installed a steam game, that game has to check for updates before it can play at all.

13). Why should we have to see games thats being released or going to be released after quiting our game?

14). Why don't I have more options on the games I wanna add to steam like the acheivements, and such? Why should I even add games to steam when I can just go to my desktop and will only take a short 1-3 seconds to launch?

15). Why is my steam clent still connecting to online even though I am in offline mode?

16). Why do some games like far cry 3 need to be on steam? Fa cry 3 needs its own DRM open upon game launch so there for everytime you wanna play it you need steam AND Uplay both open at once.

17). Why does steam even have an offline mode since some games need steam to be online for in order to launch?

18). Do we have an option weather we want steam to run with our games or not? Some games you are actually allowed to run without it.

19). Why does steam have a timer to time you for how long you played? Is it because its for monitoring how long we play and then make upcoming games last that long?

20). Why does steam have the so called "greenlight" is it to ruin old games that were cool from the past? We can always go to some website instead and get the install disc from there. My guess is its cause everyone wants everything to become digitalized and bring all cool dead games back to life and become uncool.

21). Steam says we don't own our purchased games? Fine, i'm taking my business elsewhere.

22). Steam is extremely picky about what files you place into the steam folder.

23). Thanks to steam, people (including me) are scared of steam because steam is the only way to play games and activate.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

"11). There are no singleplayer modes on any of the F2P games except for 1.
"

Thats not steams fault though, thats the devs of said f2p games.

"Why does steam even have an offline mode since some games need steam to be online for in order to launch?"

again the devs choice not a steam.

"20). Why does steam have the so called "greenlight" is it to ruin old games that were cool from the past? We can always go to some website instead and get the install disc from there. My guess is its cause everyone wants everything to become digitalized and bring all cool dead games back to life and become uncool."

it lets the community vote to see what games get on steam. IE indie games or mods we can filter out the crap ones by not voting for them and keeping them off.

"23). Thanks to steam, people (including me) are scared of steam because steam is the only way to play games and activate."
There are more download clients than steam, but I get what you are saying.

"14). Why don't I have more options on the games I wanna add to steam like the acheivements, and such? Why should I even add games to steam when I can just go to my desktop and will only take a short 1-3 seconds to launch?
"
some people like to have them all in one easy place.

As for the others you ether have a point or I have no experience with them and wont comment on them due to that.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV

Thank you for your reply(: very explanatory

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to diablo1892

quote:
9). Just coming online to client will already use up 160mbs of ram while in offline mode it will only use 15mbs (at start) and when running games, chat windows it can increase much higher, sometimes 1GB
I always have Steam open - it only uses just a tab bit over 50,000 K. Something is wrong if it uses more whwn not playing games or Win 7 is a lot easier on the client.

Some of the list id valid - I fond other very invalid and making huge assumptions. Others - you don't get what it is for - it is not only for buying and playing games. It makes it easier to get with friends and see who is online - even in 'offfline' mode (more to do with the status of you than anything. To show your status - it needs to be online.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by CylonRed:

quote:
I always have Steam open - it only uses just a tab bit over 50,000 K. Something is wrong if it uses more whwn not playing games or Win 7 is a lot easier on the client.

Some of the list id valid - I fond other very invalid and making huge assumptions. Others - you don't get what it is for - it is not only for buying and playing games. It makes it easier to get with friends and see who is online - even in 'offfline' mode (more to do with the status of you than anything. To show your status - it needs to be online.

I agree, steam is also just another facebook.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Dalionath

said by diablo1892:

1). Why should we need to have steam open when playing our games offline or online?

What does it matter? Having Chrome/FF/IE open uses more resources then Steam does.

said by diablo1892:

2). The option wheather to have auto updatting enabled or disabled is broken. I'v tried setting ALL 100 games to do NO updatting but updatting still continues and without my permission.

Mine auto updates beautifully. And has done so for as long as I've been using Steam. Why would you not want to update your games?

said by diablo1892:

3). Say you jump online real quick to see the store and then jump to offline mode, one of your games seen an update. You can't play that game till the update it seen is downloaded.

Again, Why would you not want to update your game?

said by diablo1892:

4). I just reinstalled my windows and am now signing into steam client and notice I need some sorta code from my email.. This makes it tough when I switch from one OS back to my other OS making this impossible. (same goes to browser)

Not sure what's tough about this one. Log into email. Get code. Proceed to log into Steam.

said by diablo1892:

5). I got a new game and already started playing it, next day comes and come to find out the authenticator had become broken on it so I am forced to re-download the entire game again or use back up coppies of the install.

I've never had this issue. Ever. Once any of my games are installed, Steam never asks for product keys from there on out.

said by diablo1892:

6). For some downloading is extremely tough even for a game thats around 1GB or someone that has a download limit (like myself) so the pause button will be used quite often here.

This is Steam's fault how? Get better internet.

said by diablo1892:

7). Steam is'nt compatible with all email providers. I tried my live account and nearly lost my steam account cause I was locked out and could'nt get the codes steam had sent me to work. After trying and hopping through hopeless hoops again and again Steam eventually quits sending me codes to get back in so there for I gave up.

Are you using some obscure email service no one has ever heard of?

said by diablo1892:

8). Tech support is as bad as hughesnet witch would be waiting up to 2 weeks to finally get an answer. Steam does'nt have tech support by phone.

I've yet to have a need to contact Steam tech support in 6 years.

said by diablo1892:

Again, this is Steam's fault how? Upgrade your PC to something within the last 8 years then. Problem solved.

said by diablo1892:

10). I have a difficult time trying to get steam to use install disc's instead of using my connection to download the game.

Again, get better internet and your issue of using install discs simply goes away. Downloading is where it's at.

said by diablo1892:

11). There are no singleplayer modes on any of the F2P games except for 1.

What?

said by diablo1892:

12). When you just installed a steam game, that game has to check for updates before it can play at all.

Game patches have been happening long before Steam came to be. If you think this is exclusive to PC gaming or something completely new, then you'd be shocked to find out that consoles do the exact same thing.

said by diablo1892:

13). Why should we have to see games thats being released or going to be released after quiting our game?

Doesn't happen to me. Upon logging out of a game, I'm taken directly to my Steam library. No game advertisement there.

said by diablo1892:

14). Why don't I have more options on the games I wanna add to steam like the acheivements, and such? Why should I even add games to steam when I can just go to my desktop and will only take a short 1-3 seconds to launch?

Dragging the game launcher onto your task bar is hard?

said by diablo1892:

15). Why is my steam clent still connecting to online even though I am in offline mode?

Why is this an issue?

said by diablo1892:

16). Why do some games like far cry 3 need to be on steam? Fa cry 3 needs its own DRM open upon game launch so there for everytime you wanna play it you need steam AND Uplay both open at once.

It's funny you mention playing Far Cry 3 on a PC that cannot even have Steam open and a simple internet browser screen at the same time. Maybe it's time for a PC upgrade?

said by diablo1892:

17). Why does steam even have an offline mode since some games need steam to be online for in order to launch?

The horse is bloody, and has stopped breathing.

said by diablo1892:

20). Why does steam have the so called "greenlight" is it to ruin old games that were cool from the past? We can always go to some website instead and get the install disc from there. My guess is its cause everyone wants everything to become digitalized and bring all cool dead games back to life and become uncool.

Huh? What old games are they ruining? And how?

said by diablo1892:

21). Steam says we don't own our purchased games? Fine, i'm taking my business elsewhere.

This effects you how? This prevents you from selling your used downloaded games on Craigslist?

said by diablo1892:

What files are you trying to install in your Steam folder?

said by diablo1892:

23). Thanks to steam, people (including me) are scared of steam because steam is the only way to play games and activate.

You're in the minority on this one.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

He's just a contrary, who somehow manages to the find the bandwidth to pirate games, but rarely can be bothered to buy them legitimately.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Dalionath

24). Reasons why steam has become the new facebook:
- Has the same drama, if worse than facebook.
- Both push you into using their apps.
- Both provide a social IM. Steam is just a store where you can buy games and has its own DRM that's it!
- Both have profiles and home page (see what's going on with friends)
- Both share the "comment" button.
25). Steam is fragile when it comes to its files being damaged, when a file of its own or one of the game files have become broken, steam install or just the game will be required to reinstall (same goes to game authenticator's)
26). Strange connection errors as to why steam does'nt connect for any appropriate reason for other user's.
27). Why does'nt steam sell retail coppies of each game like origin does?
--

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

2 edits
reply to Ghastlyone

I can tell you really love eating all the internet bandwidth.. I would be even amazed as to how much you download per month.
I only download little less than a GB some months. Me and some other satellite users hate internet hogs, always saying how much you can download per second and how you don't even have a CAP.
I bet you use up more bandwidth than I even torrent, thats pretty bad):
ya know, being in korea you can't be a bandwidth hog, you can easily get into trouble so they really must love there speed.

1). Why should we need to have steam open when playing our games offline or online?
What does it matter? Having Chrome/FF/IE open uses more resources then Steam does.
lol totally out of the question.
6 years?? you been sleeping under a rock doing nothing or what?

Again, Why would you not want to update your game?
maybe some of us would like to keep old things the same.

and you need to do this JUST so you can play your video games just because you alter between OS's?

I've never had this issue. Ever. Once any of my games are installed, Steam never asks for product keys from there on out.
Again, totally off topic.

Again, get better internet and your issue of using install discs simply goes away. Downloading is where it's at.
and once again for third time off topic

Game patches have been happening long before Steam came to be. If you think this is exclusive to PC gaming or something completely new, then you'd be shocked to find out that consoles do the exact same thing.
hahaha

Why is this an issue?
it's still getting connection witch it should'nt be, thats why its called "OFFLINE MODE" but apparently this is'nt offline mode if its still receiving connection.

It's funny you mention playing Far Cry 3 on a PC that cannot even have Steam open and a simple internet browser screen at the same time. Maybe it's time for a PC upgrade?
off topic

The horse is bloody, and has stopped breathing.
What did you get a bloddy nose from reading my long list of negatives?

This effects you how? This prevents you from selling your used downloaded games on Craigslist?
off topic for 5th time

What files are you trying to install in your Steam folder?
Steam does'nt want something unnecessary in its folder so there for it gets removed or steam reinstall"s so all unneeded files are removed.

You're in the minority on this one.

Yeah well you'r one of those people that don't care so you just go with it and have fun and not have a care in the world what steam does.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

24). Reasons why steam has become the new facebook:
- Has the same drama, if worse than facebook.
- Both push you into using their apps.
- Both provide a social IM. Steam is just a store where you can buy games and has its own DRM that's it!
- Both have profiles and home page (see what's going on with friends)
- Both share the "comment" button.

You don't have to use those, I've not once used anything but the IM function for their social stuff. Granted I only have my irl friends on my steam friends list so meh.

said by diablo1892:

25). Steam is fragile when it comes to its files being damaged, when a file of its own or one of the game files have become broken, steam install or just the game will be required to reinstall (same goes to game authenticator's)

Never had that problem, can you give an example of it?

said by diablo1892:

26). Strange connection errors as to why steam does'nt connect for any appropriate reason for other user's.

Servers down, bad connection/time out on your end, ect.

said by diablo1892:

Its not up to steam, its just a store like itunes, they don't get to make that call the people who make the games do. In the case on indie devs it would simply cost too much.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Never had that problem, can you give an example of it?

A file missing or even broken, did'nt fully get downloaded in the download proccess.. This in my case occurs quite alot actually since (like i said) i gotta pause, resume next day, then pause again (repeat)

Servers down, bad connection/time out on your end, ect.

This actually has'nt happen to me very much, however it has to my friends.. The only times when it actually did was when I left my pc on through the night (while i was of course sleeping) and hughes would kill the connection of the modem needs attention, but still i found it kinda odd.

Its not up to steam, its just a store like itunes, they don't get to make that call the people who make the games do. In the case on indie devs it would simply cost too much.

IMO they would get tons better business if they did this cause I have quite a bunch of friends with steam but there connection is'nt all that great. In fact i am altering where i buy my games from now, gonna buy the retail versions from the stores instead.. Reason why I don't just buy through origin is simply because i have the same issues as i do with steam, but I don't like to support EA in anyway. I would STILL buy from valve (steam) rather than buy from origin if i could. plus I never once bought from origin and never plan to anytime soon(:
--

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits

your post does not make sense at all.

first of all: get better internet connection e.g. docsis 3.0 or docsis 3.1 (in docisis 3.1 offers up to 10Gbits/1Gbits connectivity) that gives you better internet edge.

I have no problems with steam at all. I have better connection as dual docisis 3 modems over the load balancing also i have a 600GB cap a month.

if the downloaded is broken then use the verify the game file cache tab to do checking the intregity files in process that saves the time over empire of the re-downloading.

second, I never recommended this sat for your gaming online, period. you supposed to get a better connectivity as fiber optic, docsis 3.0 or 3.1 coaxial cable or T3 line.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to diablo1892

Your arguments are contrived and forced, dude. Let me explain why you get 99% of the problems you have.

You have a shitty internet connection.

Stop downloading pirated shit and get pissed when it doesn't work the way the retail version does.

Your PC is probably riddled with little malware rootkit keylogging trojans just making your PC wish for death in a turkish prison.

No one else has those issues with Steam; don't you find that in the least bit odd? Even just a little?

Trust me...of the 2 items in question here, Steam has a few million testimonials to it's favor....you, on the other hand, not so much. I think I know where the problem lies.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor