how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lonebandit

join:2001-12-01
Oak Creek, WI

DMZ disappears at random

I have a 3801HGV device running 6.3.7.50-enh.tm.

At times and at random, the server I have in DMZ drops out and becomes a 192.168.x.x IP address and re-enables the firewall.

Being on the inside, one doesnt notice this but of course there is no longer any outside access.
I have to go back into the RG and set it up again to use PUBLIC WAN and FIREWALL DISABLED and then cycle my server so it will re-lease the public IP instead of the bogus 192.168 IP.

We do not loose DSL signal nor have any outage when this happens and the RG didnt reboot. Nothing to indicate anything is wrong but that the DMZ machine is now a regular device behind the RG.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Have you tried forwarding the ports needed by the server instead of using the dmzplus?

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to lonebandit

May be no help (to avoid knee-jerk swap for a new 3801) but:

When you manually redo the setup, look through RG's logs. Do logs somewhere show public-wan IP assignment to your device? If so, when it reverts, if you examine the logs "in time" you might find corresponding log entry. That entry and its preceding context may be revealing to the experts.

The public-WAN IP assignment is a DHCP-like function. RG has setting for DHCP lease time (prompt says 24 hours default, can be increased to 96 at least AKAIK). Don't know if that lease time setting does indeed apply to public-WAN IP assignment (versus just true LAN IP's). Might crank it Down actually if you can stand to test for a while, to see if that triggers the revert More frequently.

Does RG use battery-backup? Is power surge protected? If you can stand it, might deliberately revert to battery temporarily many times, or just reboot the RG manually many times, to verify if DMZ-lost is sometimes triggered by such.

lonebandit

join:2001-12-01
Oak Creek, WI

My DHCP via WAN is very short.
300 seconds.

This is not adjustable as it comes from AT&T.
The RG isnt set to dish out any LAN IPs since nothing else but one device is connected to it.

The RG is setup with the entire data rack I have (Servers/switches/etc) and runs on a Liebert 3000VA UPS which is a dual-conversion UPS. There is never any lag during switchover but our AC power here is actually very reliable.

The entire house is backed up by a generator as well, so I know this isnt a power issue.

It used to happen on a prior RG years ago but only randomly if I rebooted it. This is different in this case.
AT&T is sending me a replacement. Maybe that will help.

I dont want to do port forward/pin-holes since my needs change often. I find it easiest to just DMZ an entire machine. It has a rather robust firewall on it, that I then maintain.

Thanks for the comments guys...

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to brookeKrige

said by brookeKrige:

The public-WAN IP assignment is a DHCP-like function.

The sharing of the public ip address is done via dhcp.

said by brookeKrige:

RG has setting for DHCP lease time (prompt says 24 hours default, can be increased to 96 at least AKAIK). Don't know if that lease time setting does indeed apply to public-WAN IP assignment (versus just true LAN IP's).

The dhcp lease time that is user adjustable applies only to private lan ip's only.
The dmzplus ip lease time is not a setting the user can change, the default dmzplus ip lease time is 10 minutes.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to lonebandit

said by lonebandit:

AT&T is sending me a replacement.

If port forwarding is not a option replacing the router is what I would do.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to lonebandit

It happened to me about a week or two ago and I also have the 3801HGV. Also the password on the RG has reset itself in the past. I think from time to time AT&T either pushes firmware updates or configuration tweaks that reset some settings -- I don't think replacing the RG is going to fix it in the long run.
--
PRescott7-2097

AgentGoat

join:2011-09-07
Springfield, OH
reply to lonebandit

I've had this issue for as long as I've had the service. I've always had the same impression as joako that it's usually a tweak/update from ATT that does it.