how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

conductor609

join:2012-03-02
Janesville, WI

[HSI] latency issues

So here in janesville, my routing to internap's data center in chicago changes completely at night. Rather than bouncing from eau claire to chicago like normal it takes a detour through minneapolis and then goes to chicago, so at night I ping 80 instead of 40. The odd part is that it's specifically the internap data center, all other chicago servers seem to be fine. Any ideas on who to talk to to get this changed, or if it's even possible? I get the feeling phone support won't be able to do anything about it.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

Quick answer, you are out of luck
Actually , you might want to post a trace for the daytime route and one for the nighttime route . If it is a result of something Charter is doing on their internal network , there is a miniscule chance that you might be able to get someone to do something . If the routing change is off their network . it basically is not going to happen .

conductor609

join:2012-03-02
Janesville, WI
reply to conductor609

Apparently I'm stupid and didn't realize that I just get completely different routing to 2 different servers despite them being in the same data center, which makes equally little sense.

»pastebin.com/R7WXTVp9

»pastebin.com/GnVC3wVZ

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet addresses
Since the internet routes by IP addresses , and the addresses you are routing to are so different , the internet routers do not " know " that they are in the same physical location .
Yes I know that is a way oversimplified answer !

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to conductor609

It's not by accident of IP address(es), it's deliberate, for the sake of redundancy and a little bit of BGP routing (maybe).