how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON

[Anveo] 911 on Anveo

So yesterday, the day after I switched our phone to Anveo, we got a chance to test out the 911 service. Not by choice though!

I wasn't home at the time, but our 3-year-old decided he'd climb the dresser and it fell over on him. He got a massive goose egg on his head. My wife called 911. He's ok though - the docs just wanted to keep him at the hospital for observation for a few hours. Before the paramedics even left the hospital, he was already running around and trying to climb more things! Go figure.

But I was naturally curious about the 911 process over VoIP since I've had no real-world experience, so I asked my wife about how the call went. The first person who answered asked if she needed fire, police or ambulance. She can't remember if he asked her location, but she got transferred properly to our regional dispatch.

So it works well! From what she told me, it didn't seem to slow down the whole process much. I'm impressed!

And yes, we're going to be securing the dressers to the wall now. It's something we had discussed, just never got around to. That'll teach us.

adatech

join:2010-04-23
Curious, are you in the US or Canada? If you're in the US, I'd be concerned that you apparently weren't immediately routed to your local PSAP. As I understand it, that's not an option in Canada.

cybersaga

Welland, ON
I'm in Canada.

Curiously enough, after being transferred to the regional dispatch, she was then transferred to the city's dispatch. No idea why they don't just have just one for the whole region, but that's not Anveo's thing.

HC Sinclair

@optonline.net
reply to adatech
said by adatech:

Curious, are you in the US or Canada? If you're in the US, I'd be concerned that you apparently weren't immediately routed to your local PSAP. As I understand it, that's not an option in Canada.

I believe that the OP is in Canada.

It is important to observe that because of very different approaches by the CRTC vs. the FCC, VoIP 911 works differently in the two nations.

Canada: VoIP calls must go to a national call center, which determines what PSAP it should go to.

USA: VoIP calls should go directly to the proper PSAP.

As with so much else between Canada and the US, the Canadian rule stresses accuracy, the US rule stresses speed!

josephf

join:2009-04-26
I don't see anything in the Canadian approach that improves on accuracy compared to the U.S. approach.

HC Sinclair

@optonline.net
said by josephf:

I don't see anything in the Canadian approach that improves on accuracy compared to the U.S. approach.

The issue is that people move and sometimes don't change their 911 address....

Or they do change the address, but the change is not processed properly.

So talking to a human, at least allows the call to be routed to the correct current PSAP.

That's the idea, anyway. Thank heaven I don't run the CRTC.

And in fact:

Even the Canadian system messed up, as famously:

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s···olo.html

In that event:

a) The VoIP company had changed the billing address but not the 911 service address.

b) The people told the human at the call center the Calgary address, but the human failed to over-ride the computer and sent the ambulance to the old Mississauga address on file, resulting in a child's death.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s···olo.html

So---if you are saying that even direct human involvement can still mess up---you are correct.

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17
reply to cybersaga
Since you are bolting down stuff, check you range in the Kitchen. Most new Range comes with a no-tilt mechanism that is bolted to the floor and one leg of the Range slips under the mechanism. A lot of folks tend not to install this kit.

BTW, did you test the E911 before that call? I know in Canada it is "illegal" to test E911.

cybersaga

Welland, ON
No, I didn't test. Apparently Anveo has a "933" to test. Not sure what it does though.

conwaytwt
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Conway, AR
Reviews:
·Conway Corp.
said by cybersaga:

No, I didn't test. Apparently Anveo has a "933" to test. Not sure what it does though.

You can dial it to see -- it claims to "test" your e911 configuration, and if it says it's successful then it speaks your address. Next it asks you to speak, and it plays back the recording of what you said.

It's a good thing to do, I suppose, though of course all you can be SURE from the test is that their server knows your street address and that it can receive and play back audio from your device. It doesn't really tell you what happens to the information in an actual 911 call.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
Sounds like they're just testing their own configuration i.e. that your address is on file in the Anveo database. I'm not sure if they look it up in the E911 provider's database or not - definitely something you'd want to ask them. Either way it's not a "proper" test and personally if I had to depend on E911 I wouldn't count on it until I actually made a "real" 911 call to test it - that goes for any provider, not just Anveo.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by nitzan:

....personally if I had to depend on E911 I wouldn't count on it until I actually made a "real" 911 call to test it - that goes for any provider....

Good advice indeed, but as you know some local 911 centers oppose it (even as others tolerate it, and a few even encourage it).

If someone wants to test 911 it is a good idea to call the local Non-emergency number first and ask permission.

The approach of Sudbury, Massachusetts is to be praised, and it also demonstrates some of the issues with 911 VoIP:

The Police Department has recently discovered a possible problem with residents who have non-Verizon phone numbers. We have discovered that there are some issues with the 9-1-1 and Reverse 911 systems for people who have Internet Service Provider phone numbers (ie: Vonage, etc.).

In recent testing of the systems we have come across instances where ISP phone numbers DO NOT reach our system when dialing 911. Instead the phones are being re-directed to State Police Barracks in other parts of the state or to departments where you may have previously lived. Also in the case of many of the ISP phone numbers, if they do reach us, the call back numbers are incorrect and we are unable to get through....

If you have an ISP, or any other type of phone number that is NOT Verizon we would like you to please contact us so we can check it out. Please call the business line at (number) to set up a test call with the dispatcher to try the 911 system so we can check that first. PLEASE DO NOT CALL 911 UNTIL you have spoken with the dispatcher.

»www.sudbury.ma.us/news/1571/

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
That quote certainly demonstrates their acknowledgement that the system isn't perfect, but also illustrates their lack of knowledge of this technology.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by Mango:

That quote certainly demonstrates their acknowledgement that the system isn't perfect, but also illustrates their lack of knowledge of this technology.

True.

In their favor, though, even though that statement is currently posted it was first written in 2008.

Also, aside from cable company VoIP, the solid majority of residential VoIP in the US is indeed Vonage.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

I wasn't home at the time, but our 3-year-old decided he'd climb the dresser and it fell over on him. He got a massive goose egg on his head. My wife called 911. He's ok though - the docs just wanted to keep him at the hospital for observation for a few hours. Before the paramedics even left the hospital, he was already running around and trying to climb more things! Go figure.

But I was naturally curious about the 911 process over VoIP since I've had no real-world experience, so I asked my wife about how the call went.

I'm glad your son's ok!

I was wondering if Anveo's Emergency Dispatch Notification was used?