All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
TechnoGeek
join:2013-01-07

TechnoGeek to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980

Re: Jobs

Actually, you often cannot go to another service. Are you even paying attention to the article? That is the whole problem!

I have no problem with the government setting up service in an area where private providers refuse to provide usable service. After all, that is actually one of the government's original purposes: to provide public goods (roads, etc) that would not be feasible for a private agency to provide.

There is no public-private competition to speak of in that case.

As for all of the bad things you are saying, I fail to see how that would be any different from what a private company would do.

If the government started to offer services by political party, I think we would have a lot more serious things to worry about that an internet connection.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

They may have no other 'WIRED' services, but I refuse to believe that Sprint, Verizon, ATT or whomever has cell internet services there don't have 3g/4g services available. And there are satellite options as well.

My dad has NO access to wired services, but he can get all 3 carriers 3G services and VZW 4G LTE services. I just purchased the Verizon HomeFusion service for him for xmas and he is in heaven. Wired services are the best no question about it, but wireless does work and offers a viable alternative.

I don't agree with a law outlawing community broadband options, but IMHO if they want a community option then they should take their own dollars and form a private company to offer those services. It should not be tax dollar funded or subsidized by other tax payers in the state. Not everyone will want this, so why should tax payers who don't want it pay for it?

If we could trust the government to do what is right, then I wouldn't have any problem either. But time after time they've proven they can't. Government services always come in way over budget and late because they have no one to answer to. They'll ultimately tax you more and more for outdated services.

Didn't the city of Seattle have some public run ISP services/project that was dismantled because it cost too much to operate?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by buckweet1980:

They may have no other 'WIRED' services, but I refuse to believe that Sprint, Verizon, ATT or whomever has cell internet services there don't have 3g/4g services available. And there are satellite options as well.

Those are not options.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to TechnoGeek

to TechnoGeek
It isn't private providers "refusing to provide usable service".
Its the unwillingness of the consumer to pay for "usable service" that prevent its deployment. Until the cost of providing the service matches up with what the locals are willing to pay, you won't see more of it.

Forcing your neighbors to subsidize your service through the tax base is simply wrong.