Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

I already half some of this stuff--the CPU cooler, the case, the SSD/HDD. Working on trading up on PSUs.

Really looking for feedback on a good mobo/ram to go with the 3770K.

It's going to be a beast. This was fun to price out at least.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.28 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2646.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-08 15:29 EST-0500)

eve8
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

eve8

Premium Member

Why not go X79 for this build?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
If you wanta go full nuts then go with the 8 core xeon instead of the 4 core i7 (about 8 times the price but awesome is awesome.)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to eve8

Premium Member

to eve8
Sandy Bridge is old, IB-E doesn't seem to be coming out until Nov-Dec, and with the right cooling this can be clocked much higher than a 3820 can go.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

If you wanta go full nuts then go with the 8 core xeon instead of the 4 core i7 (about 8 times the price but awesome is awesome.)

There are limits to awesomeness, then. This isn't an industrial MOAB, but a residential one.

eve8
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

eve8 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Fair enough.

Screw the H100 cooler ... go for a XSPC Raystorm kit!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I've already got the H100, but I am considering leaving it in my old case (my x58 is getting turned into a VM machine for the wife).

Having never done custom, full-loop WC before... I am very tempted, but would need more info before committing to that plunge. The board itself has an integrated water block on the VRM modules, so that may make more sense...

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Wasn't it you that said that Reddit was all over the Gigabyte UP4 mobos?

Don't get me wrong that Asus board is drop dead sexy, but all things being equal I'm curious why you chose this one.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 edit

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
That'll be an awesome setup. I'm going to do something similar on my next build down the road. 500gb SSD? Yes please!

Kris, that Rosewill Thor case you got, does it come with or except 140mm fans? I'd consider going with an H110 if you can. Much much larger radiator and cooling for only 10 dollars more. That's the cooler I'm giong to upgrade to here probably when I order my GPU.

Regarding your Corsair PSU. Check out their main website, because they sell all the nice single sleeved PSU wires right there.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Wasn't it you that said that Reddit was all over the Gigabyte UP4 mobos?

Don't get me wrong that Asus board is drop dead sexy, but all things being equal I'm curious why you chose this one.

That was for x79, yeah.

The Max VFT is $320. The Gig UP7 is $400, and the Sniper3 is $270. For splitting the difference, you sure get a lot of awfully nice features, simple OCing, and more importantly, the two PCI slots between the first and second PCIe 3.0 slots, letting me use two 2.5 slot Vapor-X 7970s.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

1 edit

1 recommendation

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

For splitting the difference, you sure get a lot of awfully nice features, simple OCing, and more importantly, the two PCI slots between the first and second PCIe 3.0 slots, letting me use two 2.5 slot Vapor-X 7970s.

Duly noted,

The Asus boards make OCing dead easy, even for someone with no experience, mine has a setting called "optimized defaults" that OCs it out of the box.

I'm going to have to stop looking at your threads because everytime I do, I want run out and get more hardware.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by DarkLogix:

There are limits to awesomeness, then. This isn't an industrial MOAB, but a residential one.

Industrial would be Dual Xeon w/ 256GB ram and dual (maybe tipple) Titans. (I wouldn't go to 512GB because last I looked you have to go to dual ranked and slower speed ram to make that 256 to 512 jump.)

Then with win7 pro/ult/ent limited to 192gb ram you'd have to use win8 to use the full 256gb or use 2008R2

Trust me a Pro MOAB could easily hit $200,000 (hay any chance a kickstarter like project would work to build such a beast?
DarkLogix

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Sandy Bridge is old, IB-E doesn't seem to be coming out until Nov-Dec, and with the right cooling this can be clocked much higher than a 3820 can go.

SB might be old but what of SB-E ? (quad channel 1600 ram)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

SB might be old but what of SB-E ? (quad channel 1600 ram)

Yeah I meant SB-E.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

That'll be an awesome setup. I'm going to do something similar on my next build down the road. 500gb SSD? Yes please!

Kris, that Rosewill Thor case you got, does it come with or except 140mm fans? I'd consider going with an H110 if you can. Much much larger radiator and cooling for only 10 dollars more. That's the cooler I'm giong to upgrade to here probably when I order my GPU.

It does indeed accept 140mm.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Trust me a Pro MOAB could easily hit $200,000 (hay any chance a kickstarter like project would work to build such a beast?

Not within the context of PC gaming. Diminishing returns would kick in rapidly.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Same drive is on sale for $280: »techreport.com/news/2447 ··· and-more

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 edits

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by DarkLogix:

Not within the context of PC gaming. Diminishing returns would kick in rapidly.

Well leave off the 4k monitors and I think it might get into the $50k range.

Checking now
Ok looks like to get a fully loaded HP Z820 with the following its just shy of $30,000
Dual 3.10GHz 8core xeons
256GB ECC 1600 ram (8 channel)
dual Nvidia Quadro K5000 (w/ 4GB vram) (basically the quadro ver of the GTX680 w/ 4GB)
6x 300GB SSD's in raid 6
1125w 90% eff powersupply
5/5/5 warranty

Toss in 2x ZR30w and you're just about at $30k and its would be the most beast system currently buildable

I'd then addon a qnap nas for mass/long term storage (instead of putting a large HDD in the system just use a iscsi lun and have even more storage) and since it'd be a MOAB I'd get the 10 drive 1079 pro and put in a dual 10gig nic as well as max the qnap on ram.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The Thor comes with 1 140mm fan (rear exhaust), but the top of the case (where I have my rad mounted) will accept 1 240mm fan, 2 120mm fans, or 2 140mm fans. So there is a spot to mount the H110 radiator in the top (assuming he doesn't have the motherboard issue I ran into).

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
My personal opinion:

Go with a slightly cheaper mobo. No need to go soup to nuts on the motherboard. The UD5P TH is what I would get (cheaper by $50)

As you yourself have stated, no need to go over 1600 RAM speed. Bump it down and save some cash.

PSU - No need for 1k+. Just go with a gold 850 (personally I like Seasonic X850, but that's just me). Save a bit more there and it'll be more efficient for this build.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gordo74:

PSU - No need for 1k+. Just go with a gold 850 (personally I like Seasonic X850, but that's just me). Save a bit more there and it'll be more efficient for this build.

Seconded, I replaced my trusty Ultra 750 LSP with the above mentioned PSU and it's awesome, I love it. The only thing I might do in the near future is replace the stock cables with some blue and white sleeved one to match my mobo.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Gordo74

Premium Member

to Gordo74
I was going to stay with my 750w, but if I am going to upgrade, I may as well go for a 1k, which will give me the headroom to OC (each card can pull down 320w when OC'd, plus the CPU and mobo, plus a possible full custom loop in the future...).

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
This looks familiar

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Rebuild time
Good things come from Microcenter.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Good things come from Microcenter.

Sexy... make sure to post techie pr0n when you assemble it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

2 edits

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Got home from Microcenter with the mobo/memory/CPU (meant to get 1600 ram, but the 1866 won't hurt), spent the last 4 hours carefully putting everything together.

The system will power on, but is displaying a 0055 "Detect Memory" error, and the DRAM error light is on near the 24 ATX power cable on the mobo. (this mobo comes with error lights for CPU, memory, GPU, and HDD so you can quickly troubleshoot the issue).

I have:
• Checked for loose connections
• Cycled each module through the _A2 slot (the one to use if you only use one DIMM)
• Tried all combos of memory (1/2/4 with each module in each slot)
• Reseated the CPU and checked for bent pins (there are not any)
• Tried two other types of DDR3 memory--two different OCZ Gold 2GB 1600mhz dimms, and two different G.Skill 2GB 1600mhz dimms
• Reseated the GPU
• Utilized ROG Connect on a remote PC to diagnose via USB (confirms 0055 Detect Memory error)

Edit: The odd thing is that it is not giving the ram beep code via the speaker, even though it it is displaying the memory error.

ASUS is closed now for tech support, I may just wait until tomorrow and give them a call, but I suspect I have a bad board and will need to take it back to Microcenter.

Does anyone disagree, or have additional ideas?

For funsies, here are the final build specs--new mobo/memory/CPU/case, recycling my GPU/SSD/HDD/PSU/CPU cooler. The listed fans are on the H100. Waiting for another GPU to come back into stock.

System Specs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($278.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($127.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2177.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-16 20:13 EDT-0400)
Krisnatharok

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Cooler installed
Click for full size
Cooler + Memory
Click for full size
No adapter needed with the Thor V2!
Click for full size
Massive 2.5 slot GPU installed
Click for full size
Close up of the Vapor-X
Click for full size
Another shot of the cooler
Click for full size
0055 Detect Memory Error :(
Some shots of the build so far.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Have you tried 1 stick of RAM first, in the furthest away slot from the CPU?

I've been told of late you need to use 1 stick of RAM to set up the system and once it is running you can add more.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I hadn't tried it in the _B2 slot, the ASUS manual directs you to use the _A2 slot (the second one from the CPU) when running with a single stick of ram.

That said, it won't hurt to try.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

Maybe it is the _A2 slot, but my mate (out of town) builds loads of ASUS motherboard gaming rigs and it was a small discussion one day, that he mentioned only 1 stick of RAM. It is strange some of the qwerks you get to hear about at times.

Best of luck.