share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to DarkLogix

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

said by DarkLogix:

And nether nvidia or AIT care about OC potential.

I'm a little confused by your statement. It's rare to find the enthusiast rich enough to drop $500 to $1000 on an aftermarket GPU and not care about how well it overclocks.

I would venture to guess that the super-uber-rich-but-non-technical gamer market is smaller than the rich enthusiast market, but I could be wrong.

Could we stop calling it AIT or ATI? It's AMD, and has been for a while.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
The enthusiast does care about OC, Nvidia and ATI don't.

to them if the consumer can OC fine but they aren't going to rework their process to have higher OC yields.

Now the card assemblers (EVGA for example) do care about OC.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

No its ATI as far as I care, plus it ensures the differentiation between the GPU and CPU sides.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

No its ATI as far as I care, plus it ensures the differentiation between the GPU and CPU sides.

Sheesh, that's being a little difficult. It's been one company since 2006.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by Krisnatharok:

said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

Sheesh, that's being a little difficult. It's been one company since 2006.

Differentiation? By mentioned the wrong name of a company?

Yeah....that won't confuse anyone. lol

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
hey bro, I hear you hate ATI, so you buy 3dfx cards, amirite?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Anandtech review of the mobo I used:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6850/asus···g-review

highlight:

Overclocking results some of the best we have seen on Z77, easily hitting a massive 5.0 GHz with our review sample without issues, and seemingly would go beyond this given a better cooling environment. ASUS is increasing the levels of manual overclock options in the BIOS, with CPU Level UP giving three different speeds to choose as well as a Gamer OC mode. BIOS options for overclocking, as always with ASUS, are top notch, and we were able to push our RAM harder and further with our CPU in the MVF than in any other Z77 motherboard.

--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
said by Krisnatharok:

Anandtech review of the mobo I used:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6850/asus···g-review

highlight:

Overclocking results some of the best we have seen on Z77, easily hitting a massive 5.0 GHz with our review sample without issues, and seemingly would go beyond this given a better cooling environment. ASUS is increasing the levels of manual overclock options in the BIOS, with CPU Level UP giving three different speeds to choose as well as a Gamer OC mode. BIOS options for overclocking, as always with ASUS, are top notch, and we were able to push our RAM harder and further with our CPU in the MVF than in any other Z77 motherboard.

.... "When we received our 8th sample after the others had various problems such as dead RAM slots and plain DOA boards, ...."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Won't argue that one.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
Very jealous >:[ two more days before I can build mine.

AHHHHHHH! Are you going to run yours OC'd? I might OC mine to 4.5ghz maybe a little higher and call it a day.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok
Click for full size
»/r0/download/2···core.jpg

The difference between one GPU OC'd, and two at stock speeds.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Click for full size
And Crossfire OC'd (1150mhz core / 1550 mhz mem). I shit you not, I had to run this twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and they were within a couple points of each other.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

As requested, Crysis 3 benchmarks

Click for full size
2560x1440
Click for full size
1920x1080
I'll be the first to admit this makes no sense. My average FPS more than doubles when I go Crossfire. But I ran the benchmark several times, using the same scene for all three tests.

The only thing I can think of is that I got a Rev2 Vapor-X that requires 2x PCIe 8pin adapters, whereas my original Vapor-X requires 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin. I moved the first GPU to the second slot and put the 2x 8pin card in my first PCIe slot, which makes it the primary/master slot.

So it's possible that Sapphire has significantly increased the power of the 7970 3GB Vapor-X. *shrug*

GPU clocks for:
i7-920: 1215 mhz core / 1635 mhz memory
i7-3770K: 1220 mhz core / 1600 mhz memory
i7-3770K Xfire: 1150 mhz core / 1550 mhz memory

tl;dr 7970s overclock amazing well, and the scaling in Crossfire is just stupid good.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Click for full size
Two Sapphire Radeon 7970 3GB Vapor-X's!
Click for full size
Hmmm.... Rev2?
Click for full size
Derp cable adapters
Sooooo funny story. Even though my CPU ships with 4x PCie 8pin cables, you can only use 2 of them if you also use the extra CPU power pins (2x 4+2pin).

So I ended up looking like the idiot and using the included molex-to-PCIe adapters. It looks horrendous, and I'm not sure it's the greatest way to power the cards, but I am only pulling 560w MAX at wall with the lighter OCs (4.2 GHz CPU, 1150mhz GPU core, 155mhz GPU mem), and it doesn't matter if it's in Furmark, Crysis 3, or Unigine Valley.

I'll probably buy some cable extenders to tidy things up, but as they say... BUILD COMPLETE motherfuckers.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

That's bad ass dude. Those 7970's are awesome cards. It's amazing the performance boost with Crossfiring those.

Glad you like the new build, it looks great.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to Krisnatharok
Very nice! Have you had to mess with ULPS at all?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I had one bluscreen when I was driving the second monitor off the iGPU. Since disabling the Intel HD4000, I haven't had any problems.

That said, I just set EnableUlps=0 to be safe. Thanks for the tip.
--

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Run your unigine benchmark again and you might get better numbers, I noticed on my setup that if I dont disable ulps my crossfire setup will max the cards out at around 85% GPU usage. Disabled I get 100% on both. Also just a note but everytime you update AMD drivers it seems to renable ulps, which is annoying.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: As requested, Crysis 3 benchmarks

I find it interesting the CPU did little to nothing for you.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Dissembled:

I find it interesting the CPU did little to nothing for you.

His first benchmark posted a score of 1,792 (in the Crysis benchmark thread). With the new Ivy Bridge 3770k installed, same GPU, Kris posted a score of 2,086.

So it was about a 15-16% increase with just the CPU.