join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

said by Krisnatharok:

Asus tech support confirmed the mobo is bad (in about 30 seconds, from a native-English-speaking, U.S.-based tech).

Oh well, off to Microcenter to return it for the last one they had.

When I got my P8Z77-V, it had to be RMAd as well, and the tech support was Canadian, based out of a 'burb 15 mins away from me... it was pretty awesome.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Second Maximus V Formula is DOA from Microcenter--all the other components are known to be working, but this one won't pass the first POST. The PCIe retention clip on the third PCIe slot also was broken before I opened the box.

What the fuck ASUS, I expected better quality control for a flagship enthusiast product.

Looks like a third trip to Microcenter tomorrow in as many days. Anyone want anything while I'm there? lol
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

You should exchange that for a Gigabyte board

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Shaddup. You're the second person to tell me that.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Krisnatharok:

Shaddup. You're the second person to tell me that.

lol

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

Seriously though. I'd take that shit back the second they open. I can understand one needing an RMA, but a 2nd one also?

That's completely unacceptable. I'd definitely be considering a different brand at that point.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

There is no way I would go with another Asus board after the second one was crap.

Asrock, MSI and Gigabyte are my top choices, in that order.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Seriously though. I'd take that shit back the second they open. I can understand one needing an RMA, but a 2nd one also?

That's completely unacceptable. I'd definitely be considering a different brand at that point.

My wife had a similar issue with an EEE netbook she got as part of a promo, it had to be RMA'd 3 times, she pretty much swore off ASUS after that.

My impression is that this is a faulty product line altogether.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

I guess third time is the charm.

I brought my PSU, CPU, and ram and made Microcenter POST it for me before I walked out the door. (Then forgot my power cable there, #facepalm)

Everything works as intended now, and the Rosewill Thor V2 is QUIET. Even with all fans maxed (1x stock Rosewill 230mm front, 1x Bitfenix 230mm side, 2x Bitfenix 120mm top, 1x 140mm Bitfenix back), it's still very, very quiet.

I'd be hard-pressed to recommend ASUS again after this debacle, but I wanted this exact board due to the [alleged] quality, PCIe spacing, OC potential, and the other "goodies" it comes with, such as the integrated water pipe on the chipset should I decide to watercool.

The ASUS "CPU level up" is a pretty neat feature--press a button and the 3770K goes to 4.6 GHz stable. It spikes the voltage to 1.33v, though, so I'll have to tweak that down a little so it doesn't run as warm.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Krisnatharok:

Everything works as intended now, and the Rosewill Thor V2 is QUIET. Even with all fans maxed (1x stock Rosewill 230mm front, 1x Bitfenix 230mm side, 2x Bitfenix 120mm top, 1x 140mm Bitfenix back), it's still very, very quiet.

Thats what I love about larger fan diameters. They move more air and are a lot quieter. It's win win.

said by Krisnatharok:

The ASUS "CPU level up" is a pretty neat feature--press a button and the 3770K goes to 4.6 GHz stable. It spikes the voltage to 1.33v, though, so I'll have to tweak that down a little so it doesn't run as warm.

Gigabyte has the EasyTune6 software included. You get 3 levels of overclocking with a click of a button whichi s pretty cool. I think it's 4.1ghz, 4.3 and then 4.6

I've read a lot of people say it over volts a tad bit too much though. Sounds like most these boards all have the same thing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Unless you compare it to the delta Mega fast, it just moves a tone of air.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

Updated build. This is finished except for a second GPU. Pics coming tonight!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.28 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($278.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($155.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($309.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Vapor-X Edition Video Card ($469.99 @ Newegg / DISCONTINUED)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($137.67 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($127.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.97 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Spectre 140mm Case Fan - White ($14.99)
Total: $2371.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-19 12:43 EDT-0400)
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

Nice build.

name

@cogentco.com
reply to Krisnatharok

how is the ssd? any noticable difference between that and a "standard" one. the other 500gbs are 500$+ for a little bit of speed.. seems excessive to me.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Samsung 840 (not "840 Pro") goes for between $270-300 on Newegg and Amazon if you can nab a sale.

It's blazing fast. I can post benchmarks tonight. I don't see the premium for the 840 Pro or OCZ Vector as necessary for home computing.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

I love it.

Is that WD Red 3TB really 5400rpm? Why you go with that over a Black? Price?

Next build down the road, I'm going to step up to 2-3tb for a storage drive.

It's easy to fill 1tb when you start installing a bunch of 20gb games.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I got both (easy to miss in the PCPartsPicker wallotext), 500GB SSD boot, 2TB WD Cav Black for data, and 3TB WD Red for backing up both.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

Ah, I guess I missed that in there. Didn't notice.

You can't beat that Black Caviar 2TB @ $155 price range. Makes me wish I went that route intead over the 1TB drive.

name

@cogentco.com
reply to Krisnatharok

that's what im thinkin man

+gg

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Some shots.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
More.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Click for full size
424w under max load @ stock; peaked at 520w with OCs

SSD speeds

New top Valley score for Extreme HD setting

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to Krisnatharok

sweet lookin' rig!

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
reply to Krisnatharok

What "kit" did you use for 5.25" -> 3.5" under your optical drive? I'd like to add a card reader to my 600T, but don't have any external 3.5" slots.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Looks Nice! When's the second GPU going in?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

What "kit" did you use for 5.25" -> 3.5" under your optical drive? I'd like to add a card reader to my 600T, but don't have any external 3.5" slots.

I believe the Thor V2 has an external 2.5 or 3.5 in the bottom 5.25 slot. Have not had the need to use it yet, however.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Moos

said by Moos:

Looks Nice! When's the second GPU going in?

Ordered today, but shipping from CA, so probably in about 5 days. I'm pretty excited, and I am going to tune this rig to come close to maxing out my PSU.

My max draw with a single card is 520w at the wall (CPU@4.6 GHz, GPU @ 1220 Mhz), which is about ~470w internally. A second GPU will add 250-300w max, so I'll tune both GPUs with a mild OC to peg the PSU at 750w.

Since it is a Corsair AX series, I don't have an issue with letting it max out under full load (OCCT PSU test running LINPACK and FURMARK simultaneously)--everyday usage will be much less.

If I was buying a new PSU, I'd probably have gone with an 850w, but I see no issue with running the AX750 since I already own it.
--

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Updated build. This is finished except for a second GPU. Pics coming tonight!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Just to let you know, I ordered my components today. Comparing my list to yours, same CPU, smaller CPU cooler, same MB, same memory and amount, smaller HDD, smaller SSD, smaller video card, same case, smaller PSU, same optical drive, same OS, new logitech mouse and keyboard, and no extra case fans. Total after all discounts, $1546.02. I'm happy with that for such a powerful system. I ordered everything from Amazon and Newegg. All components should arrive in the next 2-4 days.

Thanks for all of your help.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Sweet! Can you post a complete parts list?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok

That is one sexy case. I'll be building a bit lower cost version (mostly the vid cards) and I love how that H110 looks and fits it the case. Beautiful computer, Kris.
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/