uniqs

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
More.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
424w under max load @ stock; peaked at 520w with OCs

SSD speeds

New top Valley score for Extreme HD setting
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
sweet lookin' rig!

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
What "kit" did you use for 5.25" -> 3.5" under your optical drive? I'd like to add a card reader to my 600T, but don't have any external 3.5" slots.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Looks Nice! When's the second GPU going in?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to weaseled386

Premium Member

to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

What "kit" did you use for 5.25" -> 3.5" under your optical drive? I'd like to add a card reader to my 600T, but don't have any external 3.5" slots.

I believe the Thor V2 has an external 2.5 or 3.5 in the bottom 5.25 slot. Have not had the need to use it yet, however.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Moos

Premium Member

to Moos
said by Moos:

Looks Nice! When's the second GPU going in?

Ordered today, but shipping from CA, so probably in about 5 days. I'm pretty excited, and I am going to tune this rig to come close to maxing out my PSU.

My max draw with a single card is 520w at the wall (CPU@4.6 GHz, GPU @ 1220 Mhz), which is about ~470w internally. A second GPU will add 250-300w max, so I'll tune both GPUs with a mild OC to peg the PSU at 750w.

Since it is a Corsair AX series, I don't have an issue with letting it max out under full load (OCCT PSU test running LINPACK and FURMARK simultaneously)--everyday usage will be much less.

If I was buying a new PSU, I'd probably have gone with an 850w, but I see no issue with running the AX750 since I already own it.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

drslash (banned) to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Updated build. This is finished except for a second GPU. Pics coming tonight!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Just to let you know, I ordered my components today. Comparing my list to yours, same CPU, smaller CPU cooler, same MB, same memory and amount, smaller HDD, smaller SSD, smaller video card, same case, smaller PSU, same optical drive, same OS, new logitech mouse and keyboard, and no extra case fans. Total after all discounts, $1546.02. I'm happy with that for such a powerful system. I ordered everything from Amazon and Newegg. All components should arrive in the next 2-4 days.

Thanks for all of your help.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Sweet! Can you post a complete parts list?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
That is one sexy case. I'll be building a bit lower cost version (mostly the vid cards) and I love how that H110 looks and fits it the case. Beautiful computer, Kris.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

to Krisnatharok
From newegg:
1 Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 $329.99
1 ASUS Maximus V Formula/Assassins C3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard $289.99
1 Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM $94.99
1 CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99
1 Logitech G400 Black 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 3600 dpi Gaming Mouse $39.99
1 DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE -$35.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $779.95
Less rebate and gift card of -$45.00
Total: $734.95

From Amazon:
1 Logitech Keyboard K120 $13.90
1 Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Paste 3.5g $8.23
1 EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card $94.99
1 Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack $135.98
1 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan $32.99
1 Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) $23.59
2 Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $103.99
1 Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch $171.57
1 Rosewill Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case THOR V2 $121.84
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $811.07

Grand total: $1546.02

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

That is one sexy case. I'll be building a bit lower cost version (mostly the vid cards) and I love how that H110 looks and fits it the case. Beautiful computer, Kris.

It's actually an H100 I pulled from the old rig. The PWM on the pump doesn't work so I just hook everything up to the PSU and run it at full speed.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
That's a nice build, I think you'll like the mobo, even if its cost is a little disproportionate for your build... :x

Did you get the black or white Thor case?
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

This PSU isn't designed to hold a sustained full load, at least not for long. Recommend you return it and get something with more head room. Would be fine if you are running 2 GTX 680s which I have done on this PSU but 2 7970 is a bit too much...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Can you support that with evidence? I've always considered Cosrair's pro/gold PSUs as being continuous at whatever they are rated.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Chrno

to Chrno
I'm very interested to know why you're stating this, as well.
Chrno

Chrno to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
There is none. I am basing this on what I see on a day to day bases. If these PSUs are that capable then we would have people running these on servers but I haven't seen them in barebones as of yet. Keep in mind that servers are generally ran in controlled environments and I have not see PSUs not able to run sustained capacity. And by "long" I mean running these at sustained load for 24/7.

I know for a fact that I have no problems running 2 680s on this PSU with CPU OC but I just don't know about the GE 7970. The stock 7970 is rated for 250w so the GE version can't be 250. In an ideal, closed and isolated environment I would say yes, you can run whatever that will draw the rated capacity for as long as you want but sadly we don't and in this case, having a bit of head room is better than none at all. 850w would be ideal IMO.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

to Krisnatharok
I got the black case.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Chrno

Premium Member

to Chrno
said by Chrno:

There is none. I am basing this on what I see on a day to day bases. If these PSUs are that capable then we would have people running these on servers but I haven't seen them in barebones as of yet. Keep in mind that servers are generally ran in controlled environments and I have not see PSUs not able to run sustained capacity. And by "long" I mean running these at sustained load for 24/7.

I know for a fact that I have no problems running 2 680s on this PSU with CPU OC but I just don't know about the GE 7970. The stock 7970 is rated for 250w so the GE version can't be 250. In an ideal, closed and isolated environment I would say yes, you can run whatever that will draw the rated capacity for as long as you want but sadly we don't and in this case, having a bit of head room is better than none at all. 850w would be ideal IMO.

1. This is not going to be running a 24x7 sustained load.

2. Let's not discuss what someone believes "ought" to believe based on the lack of evidence--I don't care about what servers use, because, as I've said before, I am not going to be using this as a folding machine or doing anything specific for 24x7.

• Like other brands' "Continuous" rated, I have always considered the high-end units, such as the AX series, and perhaps even the HX series, capable of supplying continuous power at the rated spec.
• That said, my build will do nothing of the sort, it idles at 122w with one GPU, maxes in game below 350w, and can only be artificially pegged at 520w in a LINPACK+FURMARK burn test. That's with the brink OCs (CPU @ 4.6 GHz, GPU @ 1220mhz).
• That 520w max was inflated by 100w by the OCs, so I can probably keep things under 750w max without aggressive overclocks.

Keep in mind these are the power draws at the wall, so knock off 10% for delivered power (using the 90% efficiency rating).

I agree that 850w was ideal, but I didn't feel like buying a new PSU on top of everything else right now. I'll probably get one in a couple months, or if the need to bring back the OCs takes over, but I've had the AX750 for a couple years and it has served me well, so I decided to stick with that for now.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Chrno

Premium Member

to Chrno
said by Chrno:

LOTS of flaws in this argument.

1. You're right. These aren't server grade. Neither are any other consumer level power supply, but the Corsair AX series as well as other's top of the line PSUs such as Rosewill Capstone, Seasonic X series, and the like are as close as you can get. To use this as an argument is like stating that you only would buy a $500 drill even though the $100 one from Home Depot will last you the same number of years for your uses.

2. This will not be sustained load. This is balls-to-the-wall maximum stress that wouldn't ever happen under normal usage. GPUs and CPUs clock down and throttle power nowadays. It doesnt run 100% all the time.

3. Even with VERY AGGRESSIVE overlocks is he getting even remotely close (within 15%) of the maximum (which I think is actually higher because it's rated for CONTINUOUS 750w load, if it happens to peak, I would think a well made PSU can handle it). I think it would be safe to assume he won't be running his cards at maximum overclocks for day to day use. That's just playing with instability and that isn't a function of the PSU.

No point in spending more than you have to just "for some headroom". These things are rated to be near or fully loaded. That is where their most efficient workloads come in.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Thanks for your thoughts Gordo. I probably will wait until I am ready to take the full custom loop WC plunge and just go for a 1kw unit. I might adjust the size after doing my WC research, but right now I don't know how much extra power the pump/rads will take to cover the CPU and two GPUs.

That definitely is on the long-term to-do list, and will help me get some life out of this build. Imagine a stable 5 GHz on the 3770K...
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

That's a nice build, I think you'll like the mobo, even if its cost is a little disproportionate for your build... :x

I don't mind over buying in this situation a little due to you having very similar setup and that you will be available for questions when I put this together. Your support is worth something to me and you will be rewarded

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I agree that you should be fine with your 750 watt PSU. Looking at the amperage draw of 2 7970's you will only be pulling about 45 amps (depending on your OC). 1 7970 pulling 270 watts equates into 270/12 = 22.5 amps. Adding a second would put you you around 45 amps. I'm Pretty sure that your 12v rail on that PSU is rated a over 60. I think it would be pretty tough to provide the conditions to actually get both 7970's to pull 45 amps. Worse comes to worse you hit your over voltage protection on the PSU and there's your answer. I think you will be more than fine though.

I am interested in seeing your numbers with the kill-a-watt for comparison purposes when you get the dual setup going. My setup with the 2 7950's OC'd to 1100MHZ and an I5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz was pulling 550-575w max at the wall using a Kill-A-watt. The highest pull during testing was found using 3dmark Vantage. Ive been watching it under various real world conditions and have not seen it higher than this. During the unigine benchmark it barely breaks 500. Gaming is usually in the 400's with games like Crysis 3 @2560x1440 and BF3 at 5760x1080. Max settings on both games.

On another topic, when I added my second 7950 my temps would get up to about 80C on the top GPU. I added more fans and had to play with placing quite a bit. I tried them in about a million configurations changing locations and exhaust/intake. I found the one configuration that works the best is when I mounted a fan to the HDD cage blowing across 2 GPU's. I have the Corsair Carbide 500r, but your Thor looks similar and I think you could mount a fan to the HDD cage too. I'll post some pics if your interested in seeing them. I have not seen the temps on the top GPU get out of the 60C range with this setup.

Your thread is making me want to upgrade motherboard and CPU!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Moos:

My setup with the 2 7950's OC'd to 1100MHZ and an I5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz was pulling 550-575w max at the wall using a Kill-A-watt. The highest pull during testing was found using 3dmark Vantage. Ive been watching it under various real world conditions and have not seen it higher than this. During the unigine benchmark it barely breaks 500.

Have you tried the OCCT PSU stress-test? Running Linpack simultaneously with Furmark is probably the most brutal, short of adding an HDD write test with a large file on top of it...
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

On a related note, I've been looking for a second 7970 Vapor-X (3GB), and it's been difficult. I would have posted this »[WTB] Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 7970 3GB but the mods jumped the gun and locked it pretty quickly:

To show you how in-demand the Vapor-X is, I got the Newegg notification @ 1:04PM that my model was back in stock. When I clicked on the link at 1:20PM, it was already showing Out of Stock/Discontinued again:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14202001

I placed an order with SuperBiiz and they came and said they were getting their next shipment in today.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

The EVGA Classified 680 is the exact same way. You literally have to be sitting at the PC and order when they come back in stock. If not, you aint getting one.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

The EVGA Classified 680 is the exact same way. You literally have to be sitting at the PC and order when they come back in stock. If not, you aint getting one.

Or have the hook ups (you know, know the right people.)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Pssst, DarkLogix See Profile, you don't know any... Sapphire people, do you?
Chrno

Chrno to Gordo74

to Gordo74
It would depend on the intended use of the system. The system would make a great BTC miner and in that case, with 2 cards, you will see some very inflated numbers (sustained). Running hashes with this card will yield numbers very similar to those found while running furmark.

3DMark isn't the right bench to use if you want to find what the card is capable of drawing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Pssst, DarkLogix See Profile, you don't know any... Sapphire people, do you?

Sorry I only try to make contact with nvidia peeps