Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

fanboy

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Chrno

Premium Member

to Chrno
said by Chrno:

It would depend on the intended use of the system. The system would make a great BTC miner and in that case, with 2 cards, you will see some very inflated numbers (sustained). Running hashes with this card will yield numbers very similar to those found while running furmark.

3DMark isn't the right bench to use if you want to find what the card is capable of drawing.

Which he openly said in this thread he is not doing. Even if he was, as others have stated, he is not close to the amperage rating on the 12v rail. That PSU is fine for that system for years to come (unless full custom WC is added, which has already been discussed)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Chrno

Premium Member

to Chrno
said by Chrno:

It would depend on the intended use of the system. The system would make a great BTC miner and in that case, with 2 cards, you will see some very inflated numbers (sustained). Running hashes with this card will yield numbers very similar to those found while running furmark.

3DMark isn't the right bench to use if you want to find what the card is capable of drawing.

I don't even know how bitcoin mining works. You should do a PSA/how-to-get-started in this forum.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

fanboy

Maybe, but got burned by bad drivers and inconsistent UI with ATI

AM I a fanboy if I just don't consider AIT to be in existence? Intel and Nvidia make some fine products and when intel gets a GPU to the level of the titan then I'll consider not using nvidia MAYBE.
DarkLogix

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Chrno:

I don't even know how bitcoin mining works. You should do a PSA/how-to-get-started in this forum.

All I know is it uses lots of CPU and GPU power to make hashes.

And it seems the value of a BTC has gone way up due to how more power its taking to get new hashes.

Security NOW breifly talked about it as it seems the DB that used to be the goto one for mining was updated and somehow broke mining.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

fanboy

Maybe, but got burned by bad drivers and inconsistent UI with ATI

AM I a fanboy if I just don't consider AIT to be in existence? Intel and Nvidia make some fine products and when intel gets a GPU to the level of the titan then I'll consider not using nvidia MAYBE.

Eh, I've said it before, but both companies have their share of (past and present) driver problems or hardware design issues, at times. They're fairly equal, and up until Titan, AMD wore the power king crown. I've not been impressed by the OC potential of the 600 series. It remains to be see how well Titan scales down to a ~$400 GPU capable of tangling with the 7970.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Based on what I'd read I'd consider the Titan in the same place as the GTX585 was but for the 600 and with a cool name.

IE we're still not on the 700's yet.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Except that it has a $200 premium attached to it, and really only for being able to boast owning the single most powerful card in existence.

Two 7970s blow it away on EVERYTHING except power/heat/noise. And for $200 less (or cheaper). It's nothing but a refined wimp in comparison.

PowerColor 7970 - $377 (w/free shipping): »www.superbiiz.com/detail ··· 3V3&c=CJ

And based on my personal experience, I can vouch for the ridiculous OC potential the 7970s have. Even pushing 1220mhz, my card is running out of power (with a +10% voltage bump) before it is getting warm, it maxes out at 72 C.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Buying the "best" is always going to have a premium

And nether nvidia or AIT care about OC potential.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Aaaand SuperBiiz just let me know that my second Vapor-X just shipped. Fuck yeah!
Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

And nether nvidia or AIT care about OC potential.

I'm a little confused by your statement. It's rare to find the enthusiast rich enough to drop $500 to $1000 on an aftermarket GPU and not care about how well it overclocks.

I would venture to guess that the super-uber-rich-but-non-technical gamer market is smaller than the rich enthusiast market, but I could be wrong.

Could we stop calling it AIT or ATI? It's AMD, and has been for a while.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

The enthusiast does care about OC, Nvidia and ATI don't.

to them if the consumer can OC fine but they aren't going to rework their process to have higher OC yields.

Now the card assemblers (EVGA for example) do care about OC.
DarkLogix

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

No its ATI as far as I care, plus it ensures the differentiation between the GPU and CPU sides.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

No its ATI as far as I care, plus it ensures the differentiation between the GPU and CPU sides.

Sheesh, that's being a little difficult. It's been one company since 2006.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

Sheesh, that's being a little difficult. It's been one company since 2006.

Differentiation? By mentioned the wrong name of a company?

Yeah....that won't confuse anyone. lol

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

hey bro, I hear you hate ATI, so you buy 3dfx cards, amirite?
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Anandtech review of the mobo I used:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· g-review

highlight:

Overclocking results some of the best we have seen on Z77, easily hitting a massive 5.0 GHz with our review sample without issues, and seemingly would go beyond this given a better cooling environment. ASUS is increasing the levels of manual overclock options in the BIOS, with CPU Level UP giving three different speeds to choose as well as a Gamer OC mode. BIOS options for overclocking, as always with ASUS, are top notch, and we were able to push our RAM harder and further with our CPU in the MVF than in any other Z77 motherboard.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Anandtech review of the mobo I used:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· g-review

highlight:

Overclocking results some of the best we have seen on Z77, easily hitting a massive 5.0 GHz with our review sample without issues, and seemingly would go beyond this given a better cooling environment. ASUS is increasing the levels of manual overclock options in the BIOS, with CPU Level UP giving three different speeds to choose as well as a Gamer OC mode. BIOS options for overclocking, as always with ASUS, are top notch, and we were able to push our RAM harder and further with our CPU in the MVF than in any other Z77 motherboard.

.... "When we received our 8th sample after the others had various problems such as dead RAM slots and plain DOA boards, ...."

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Won't argue that one.
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Very jealous >:[ two more days before I can build mine.

AHHHHHHH! Are you going to run yours OC'd? I might OC mine to 4.5ghz maybe a little higher and call it a day.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
»/r0/do ··· core.jpg

The difference between one GPU OC'd, and two at stock speeds.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
And Crossfire OC'd (1150mhz core / 1550 mhz mem). I shit you not, I had to run this twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and they were within a couple points of each other.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

As requested, Crysis 3 benchmarks

Click for full size
2560x1440
Click for full size
1920x1080
I'll be the first to admit this makes no sense. My average FPS more than doubles when I go Crossfire. But I ran the benchmark several times, using the same scene for all three tests.

The only thing I can think of is that I got a Rev2 Vapor-X that requires 2x PCIe 8pin adapters, whereas my original Vapor-X requires 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin. I moved the first GPU to the second slot and put the 2x 8pin card in my first PCIe slot, which makes it the primary/master slot.

So it's possible that Sapphire has significantly increased the power of the 7970 3GB Vapor-X. *shrug*

GPU clocks for:
i7-920: 1215 mhz core / 1635 mhz memory
i7-3770K: 1220 mhz core / 1600 mhz memory
i7-3770K Xfire: 1150 mhz core / 1550 mhz memory

tl;dr 7970s overclock amazing well, and the scaling in Crossfire is just stupid good.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Two Sapphire Radeon 7970 3GB Vapor-X's!
Click for full size
Hmmm.... Rev2?
Click for full size
Derp cable adapters
Sooooo funny story. Even though my CPU ships with 4x PCie 8pin cables, you can only use 2 of them if you also use the extra CPU power pins (2x 4+2pin).

So I ended up looking like the idiot and using the included molex-to-PCIe adapters. It looks horrendous, and I'm not sure it's the greatest way to power the cards, but I am only pulling 560w MAX at wall with the lighter OCs (4.2 GHz CPU, 1150mhz GPU core, 155mhz GPU mem), and it doesn't matter if it's in Furmark, Crysis 3, or Unigine Valley.

I'll probably buy some cable extenders to tidy things up, but as they say... BUILD COMPLETE motherfuckers.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

That's bad ass dude. Those 7970's are awesome cards. It's amazing the performance boost with Crossfiring those.

Glad you like the new build, it looks great.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Very nice! Have you had to mess with ULPS at all?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I had one bluscreen when I was driving the second monitor off the iGPU. Since disabling the Intel HD4000, I haven't had any problems.

That said, I just set EnableUlps=0 to be safe. Thanks for the tip.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

Run your unigine benchmark again and you might get better numbers, I noticed on my setup that if I dont disable ulps my crossfire setup will max the cards out at around 85% GPU usage. Disabled I get 100% on both. Also just a note but everytime you update AMD drivers it seems to renable ulps, which is annoying.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok

Re: As requested, Crysis 3 benchmarks

I find it interesting the CPU did little to nothing for you.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Raible:

I find it interesting the CPU did little to nothing for you.

His first benchmark posted a score of 1,792 (in the Crysis benchmark thread). With the new Ivy Bridge 3770k installed, same GPU, Kris posted a score of 2,086.

So it was about a 15-16% increase with just the CPU.