join:2005-01-09
East Helena, MT

[Qwest] Potential Downstream power/data rate issue

Click for full size
Modem Stats NID
Click for full size
Modem Stats Inside
Modem: ZyXEL PK5001Z
We are signed up for 7Mbps and up until December 2012 we didn't have a problem with it but it started syncing at 5Mbps or lower even at the NID. A technician came out then and I thought it was resolved it was syncing at 7 again.
Well its doing it again.
Below are the modem stats from the NID and from inside. I believe the downstream power rate is too high as I don't remember it being that high before.
Could this be causing CRC or attenuation issues (before I reset the modem the counts where very high 10s of thousands over two months).

Biggest issue I have is that I can't get it to sync any higher at the NID so I don't know what to even try. Any Ideas?

NID
Down Up
SNR 14.2 dB 15 dB
Attenuation 32.6 dB 22 dB
Power 19.8 dBm 12.4 dBm

Inside
Down Up
SNR 9.9 dB 16 dB
Attenuation 33.5 Db 22 dB
Power 19.6 dBm 12.4 dBm

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

The SNR and Attenuation numbers are the ones to be more concerned with. There is a significant difference between the NID and the modem jack, which indicates an inside wiring problem. It could be a bad filter, a device connected without a filter, corroded connections, or poor quality wire.

The sync rate is the same at both locations, which indicates a configuration issue that needs resolved by CenturyLink. It could also be a line issue further upstream that needs corrected.