join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

wife in accident

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Any guesses if it gets totaled. Lf wheel is straight in picture but at about 1oclock up and down while rf is fully turned to the left. Cop told her it was ok to drive but both front tires lock up at around 10 mph and tow truck said the suspension totally folded whatever that is. Hoping it gets totaled as i doubt its ever the way it was and the car is only 2 years old. Oh yea its a 2010 corolla.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Hit by a spinning truck this morning in the snow she was stopped at a light. the truck spun her and pushed her into another car which accounts for the RR damage.

grcore
Challenge Accepted

join:2003-12-06
usa
reply to rody_44
They should be able to buff that out, no problem.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to rody_44

No way to tell by looking at pictures. If the steering is that far out of whack, then the inner tie-rod is likely bent on one or both sides. Not a huge expense for replacing the steering rack if that is the case.

The deciding factor, as always, is frame/body rail damage that can't be fixed or straightened. Needs to be looked at by a professional shop to be sure.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Its at the shop. Looks like the upper part of the what i would call unibody is bent in. Would that be bad? Im assuming thats what the tow truck driver was talking about when he said the suspension caved in/

heebz6020

join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI
reply to rody_44
The good news is that your wife is fine and that there were no injuries. The bad is that the car is most likely to be totalled. I had a corolla with less damage and it was totalled out by the insurance.

Hey now you can start shopping for something else now .
--
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.....

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Wife is most important thats for sure but she is good. Wholesale car worth 9800 retail 15300. 14800 owed so looks like it might be good we took out gap insurance. Bought 2010 in 2011 as left over. Any guesses if its totaled how it goes. Actually went to look and buy the new scion frs last sunday but they didnt have any automatics in stock. Would have really sucked to have a car 5 days and have it totaled.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to rody_44
Not sure if your 'rolla will be totaled or not, but this was an interesting read for Corolla owners a few months ago: Corolla vs Deer
»www.toyotanation.com/forum/149-1···ght.html

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to rody_44
Pictures are lacking, but I guess at $5000 and they fix it.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

heebz6020

Milwaukee, WI
reply to rody_44
depends...if the frame is twisted, it will be totalled. My Toyota had apprx. $5800 in damage(looked like less than what is pictured above, it was all in the front end)and my insurance totaled it. My car at the time was 5 years old as opposed to 3 so maybe that will the difference. All depends on how the car checks out.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to rody_44
Isn't the insurance company a game though? I was rear-ended 1.5 years ago in my SUV that I had, and the shop asked, "do you want it totalled out?" like they get something out of it if it's totalled out. Then I think they sold it to some re-building of vehicles place after it was totalled out. They said there was $7500 damage from what they could see (I got $13k, car was $17k new since I bought it late in the year, normally $20k or so, so I was still happy). Still seemed like a joke of a process. I highly doubt it was $7500 in damage, since I'm sure stuff was marked way up. Like $1000 for a new muffler... bs. I just had one on my truck done for under $300.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to heebz6020
No more than 5800 it was hit last year with the entire front end sheet metal only and plastic replaced not the right fender tho and that was 4000. Its going to need everything it needed last year plus the damage of unibody and rear end. The left front fender nose hood and such is only out 8 months old. Last year was a minor hit compared to this one also not her fault. Still not sure why the front tires lock at 10 miles a hour but that has to be mechanical.

heebz6020

Milwaukee, WI
reply to rody_44
I do remember that I could have bought my car back from the insurance company after they totalled it out for a set price. I then could have had the repairs done at less than what was quoted to them by the Toyota dealer body shop. I didnt choose to go in that direction but I remember thinking that it seemed to be completely up to the insurance guy whether or not to get it fixed or just write me check. He then told me about the options I had if I chose to 'purchase' the car back after they decided to toal it.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
No dont want my wife driving a car that had unibody damage. They can have it. The only problem is we have progressive insurance and they dont like to total cars. last year i got to insist on oem parts because of the age of the car and miles. Not sure i get that option this time. Might tho beings the car is technically only 2 years old. The other guys insurance should pay but idiot wife didnt get his name or insurance company. Insurance is trying to get it from the police department.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44
Cop was even more of a idiot for telling her she could drive it with the front wheels pointing oppisite directions. Insurance said its common for that department to do that so they only have to fill out a out a one page police report instead of a three page report

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to rody_44
It *really* doesn't look that bad from the pictures you posted.

Perhaps post some quality photos?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
Dont have the car damage goes up further on the right side than pictures other than that damage u can see. The biggest part you probably cant see is the fact a truck hit it and the upper left fender is pushed into the engine which includes the unibody or what i would call it. What would you call the inner fender structual support where the strut and such would mount to. Thats whats pushed in. Plus driveline damage that doesnt allow tires to roll at 10 mph. They lock up. Even tho the tires didnt line up i tryed to drive it at 10 it just locks up . I only made it from one parking lot to the next from there i called a wrecker. Know what you mean tho as those pictures are pictures my wife sent me and i said im coming down and driving it home. One look at it when i got there and i said to my brother uh oh should have brought a trailer. happened a hour and a half away from home. left front tire is leaning in on the top by probably 4 inches or so at top compared to bottom. Right front is full left turn while left is straight. Not sure if tie rod is in front or back of tires or if it even has tie rods. Think its rack and pinion steering. You cant really tell the tire leaning do to the car is about 12 inches narrower at the top than it was.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Hit by a spinning truck this morning in the snow she was stopped at a light. the truck spun her and pushed her into another car which accounts for the RR damage.

You sure you were not out drifting hand brake sliding in the snow?

Glad to understand that your wife was not injured/hurt in the accident as the car is replaceable, but the wife isn't.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
I miss big open empty parking lots in the snow.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

No dont want my wife driving a car that had unibody damage. They can have it. The only problem is we have progressive insurance and they dont like to total cars.

I can understand that point of view. In a unibody vehicle the body parts themselves are the "frame". So if the body panels are replaced with the same kind of body panels... how is that different? Actually, without a frame there is nothing to bend back and hope it's the same.

Usually Progressive will consider a vehicle a total loss when the repair cost is around 80% of it's value. I's also guess at around $4000-$5000 in damages. Really depends on how far it goes up into the transaxle.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Any guesses if it gets totaled. Lf wheel is straight in picture but at about 1oclock up and down while rf is fully turned to the left. Cop told her it was ok to drive but both front tires lock up at around 10 mph and tow truck said the suspension totally folded whatever that is. Hoping it gets totaled as i doubt its ever the way it was and the car is only 2 years old. Oh yea its a 2010 corolla.

Just fight the battle on getting OEM parts, and not some cheap aftermarket parts(we had Mercury and had to battle, but we won in the end). Also, you can try and collect Diminshed Value. If you don't know what that is, Diminished Value is how much the car has lost value since the accident(frame damage, total cost, etc.) if it gets fixed. If they total it, you shouldn't have to fight for either of these.
--
No Victim=No Crime

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to rody_44
If its just superficial damage / panel replacement I would think you'd be on the safe side for repair. Once they start talking frame damage the costs skyrocket and its often not worth it. I was broadsided in my relatively new Taurus on our honeymoon in 2007. Superficial costs were pretty minimal but the frame was shot and the repair estimate exceeded what insurance would have paid.

You should have the answer in a few days.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Dont think its superficial but i do doubt the damage is going to exceed 80 percent of the value of the car. Hoping to find something out today. She really compounded the problems by failing to ask for the person at faults information. We dont have rental coverage so unless we can get the claim moved over to the other persons insurance we are on the hook for that.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
said by rody_44:

She really compounded the problems by failing to ask for the person at faults information.

You mean she did NOT get any info from the person that hit her and she let them drive away without a police report? That is in-excusable and goes against the typical accident reminder steps that are printed on the back of most all insurance cards.

quote:
On the back the Insurance Card it typically states in this order:
• call the police immediately
• admit no liability
• write down the tag numbers of each vehicle involved
• exchange information with other driver
• and then call the Insurance Company
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

billydunwood

united state
said by Doctor Olds:

said by rody_44:

She really compounded the problems by failing to ask for the person at faults information.

You mean she did NOT get any info from the person that hit her and she let them drive away without a police report? That is in-excusable and goes typical accident reminder steps that are printed on the back of most all insurance cards.

quote:
On the back the Insurance Card it typically states in this order:
• call the police immediately
• admit no liability
• write down the tag numbers of each vehicle involved
• exchange information with other driver
• and then call the Insurance Company

Good advice. It's funny because I have heard people already on the phone with their insurance agent/company not 2 seconds after the accident happened. ALWAYS call the police.
--
No Victim=No Crime

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44
They Are fixing it. 7300 with non oem parts. They are claiming only thing damaged underneath is the struts. Im just going to let them do it and then take it and trade it in. A dealer wont take it but the insurance company said my only option is to get it fixed and then i would have 2 years to trade it in to collect diminished value for the fact it will no longer qualify as a certified used vehicle by toyota standards. Hit it on the money DROLDS as thats what the plan is. I figure i can get a 2010 or 2011 corolla. Might also look at the scion frs as she likes them also.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Doctor Olds
No there is or will be a police report and it wouldnt have been a issue if the car was driveable. We could wait if it was driveable. Since its not and police reports take 2-4 weeks to be filed we have no way to know who the guy is that is at fault. Which means we use our insurance company until we find out who it is. And we dont have rental car on our insurance policy so that comes out of pocket. Wife says she asked the cop for the info and he just gave her the incident number. Tryed to explain to her that the cop is not her personal secretary and that it was her job to get the info from the guy. Accident 101 as far as im concerned.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44
Next question for anyone that knows. Would it be acceptable for the to replace just one strut or should both be replaced. The car has 49000 miles on it. Brake pads are acceptable but should i expect thing like that to be replaced or am i in for some shoddy repair work since its a body shop. I cant win the oem parts but any other suggestions. The axles had to take a hell of a hit and still doubt very much that the struts is causing the wheels to lock up at 10 mph but can only go by what they are saying. Im going to be taking a ride to the body shop tomorrow and appreciate any suggestions. Took it to the same body shop as last time and it took them a couple of times last time to get it acceptable.

billydunwood

united state
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

They Are fixing it. 7300 with non oem parts. They are claiming only thing damaged underneath is the struts. Im just going to let them do it and then take it and trade it in. A dealer wont take it but the insurance company said my only option is to get it fixed and then i would have 2 years to trade it in to collect diminished value for the fact it will no longer qualify as a certified used vehicle by toyota standards. Hit it on the money DROLDS as thats what the plan is. I figure i can get a 2010 or 2011 corolla. Might also look at the scion frs as she likes them also.

Why don't you try and fight to have OEM parts put on? Might take a couple extra days or phone calls. Seeing as its not your wife's fault, they should be willing to do it.
--
No Victim=No Crime

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
I agree with this. He should have the right to OEM parts. Unless he is just wanting to get it fixed in order to get rid of it. My guess is that OEM parts will cause it to be totaled.