Search similar:

uniqs
jdhowell
join:2013-03-08
Decatur, MS

jdhowell

[Speed Problem] DSL slows starting around 4pm,.007 MBPS down by

Click for full size
My internet connection speed (3MBPS down) starts dropping off around 4pm.By midnight its so slow a web page wont load.Facebook and youtube is out of the question! Between midnight and 3am its down to .007MBPS down load speed. Checked at speedtest.net. The upload speed never changes!! Everything was lovely until December 2012 the phone guy changed a part in the DSLAM 3.5 miles from my home which is when this all started. This problems occurs on all my computers (which are clean of any type of malware or spyware or viruses) and at my neighbors house across the road, as well as a few friends who live in the same town. The internet comes from AT&T in the neighboring town and comes by fiber optic to the phone company in the town I live. Fiber comes from the phone company (not AT&T) office to the Adtran dslam I am connected too. First they changed my modem,then replaced that with a wireless modem-router,then they installed a 2nd pair and installed an ADSL wireless modem-router. None of this had ANY affect on the problem! I don't think they have even checked with AT&T to see if there is a problem on their end. NOW WITHOUT my consent have changed me to a 1.5 MBPS down speed and I am POED about that. Wondering if they can do this without my permission? This phone company has NO terms of service.Their web page is a total of 3 pages and has no terms of service nor does it list locations the 1.5 3.0 or 6.0 service is available. The phone man and the help desk in Jackson Ms that supplys support have both openly admitted that they can not supply me with 1.5 MBPS constant service from the non fiber DSLAM 1 mile from me nor can they supply constant 3.0 service from the fiber DSLAM 3.5 miles from my home.
ANY INPUT ON THIS ISSUE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
JDHOWELL
countryboy200342 on YIM

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

Re: [Speed Problem] DSL slows starting around 4pm,.007 MBPS down

It may be obvious to you, but why are you posting here?

Were you looking for sympathy, a forum in which to complain, techniques to identify and document the problem, or what?
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell

Any help or input to identify and document the problem would be great. I thought I posted in the AT&T section. I am new to this site.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn

Premium Member

I suggest the standard version of Ping Plotter. You can get a 30-day free trial. It graphs ping times and packet losses over time.

With it, ping a server that responds to pings maybe every 2.5 seconds. Note that some routers will stop responding after a bit, so don't be concerned that some intermediate hops show packet loss if a hop beyond that is responding well. 208.100.125.54 might be a good one.

Open another session of Ping Plotter. With it ping your local ATT gateway. That will probably correspond to the first hop outside of your house. You will also be able to see the IP address of the ATT gateway by looking at the web pages of your modem. The reason for pinging your gateway is that that gateway may respond to pings to it, even though it stops responding when it is just and intermediate step to somewhere else. If the pings to your gateway are clean, but there are problems

So what this hopes to show is the schedule of the problem. Do things slow way down, or do you just start losing packets.

Have a friend elsewhere in town do the same. Compare notes. You can do File -> Save Image in Ping Plotter to get an image that you could attach to a post here if you want some help interpreting.

Get to learn how things look when they are good, and see what common thing your friend across town sees when things go bad.

Also familiarize yourself with the readouts on the web pages of your modem. Look, in particular, for signal to noise numbers (SN) and power levels (dBm). Try to contrast the numbers for when things are bad vs good.

I have never worked for ATT or an affiliate.
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell

Click for full size
Thanks, I am studying this and will continue till I learn it. This afternoon I text the help desk guy and told him to put me back to 3 mbps connection and NOT to make any changes to my service unless he checks with me first. About 7pm I got an email saying I was back on 3 meg connection and would only be charged for the lower 1.5 meg service until they get fiber run to the dslam that is about 1 mile from my home.They say they are going to have that done by summer.Yeah right! They have about 5 miles to run that and no telling how many drive ways to trench under.I doubt it will be done by fall.
I forgot earlier to mention there is no server at the phone company. I am told sense there is no server here the speed tests I do at speedtest.net fall slightly short of what my actual speed really is. I am not sure if the server is at the big ATT sight in the next town or farther away in Jackson Ms. This phone company is not telling me everything.
I also didnt mention after the ADSL modem trial I took that back to the phone company and put the dsl modem and my netgear router back online.After 7 hours of tech chat with magic jack I asked will this work connected to an ADSL modem and they said no. lol dang I wish I had asked that first.
I did notice that while on the 1.5 Meg service for two days that the download speed stayed the same all the time way into the night as well as the upload. I just did a speed test and its pretty close considering I have 5 web pages tabbed on this laptop and the mini mac is on with my email and yahoo running,and magic jack plugged into router.But that could change.Usually its pretty slow by this time of night. I've seen it go as low as .007 mbps download speed and upload still be where it should be.

I have not been to school on any of this.I am self taught. I have built my own asus desk top which is smoking fast but I dont use it because it has 3 fans in it and is noisy and im sure goobles up power. I do restores and mostly maintenance hardware and software installs,memory and upgrades for family and close friends.
I like these two programs > MS Security Essentials and Ccleaner both free.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by jdhowell:

About 7pm I got an email saying I was back on 3 meg connection and would only be charged for the lower 1.5 meg service until they get fiber run to the dslam that is about 1 mile from my home.They say they are going to have that done by summer.Yeah right!

I think you are saying they acknowledge that the data path to your neighborhood is overloaded. That would match what you see. If that is the case, speeds should be a little better Saturday night than other nights, because there is typically less internet use then than other nights.
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell

Thats interesting that you say that because they claim it matters NOT how many people are on this DSLAM .(they claim only myself and neighbor cross the road from me) They claim on dsl the number of people does not affect my service, but on cable internet the more the slower.
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

JD,

Not sure what city you are in in MS, but we have the same identical problem here. We are serviced here by the CLMBMSMA61W access concentrator which is about 25 miles away from here "fiber-ed" in to the RT. Then its copper for the 3.5 miles to the house. Recently AT&T offered 3.0 here and we jumped on it after being on 1.5 for a couple years. The tech nearly had a meltdown when he came out and told us "I don't know why they are offering that here, as the RT is "maxxed out" and that the only way that could be guaranteed is if we move our house 1.5 miles down the road." There is a heavy demand for the service out in our area with about 90% of the residents on the service, but AT&T is trying its best to service too large of an area on one RT and the bandwidth suffers greatly. Many afternoons the service will drop into the 10%-20% of ad speeds range, resulting in multiple modem resets and then as the traffic drops a gradual return in speed by early morning. AT&T is the only offering in the area, so they have us over a barrel and they know it. Oh, how I would love "options"...I would take them in a minute.
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell to StillLearn

to StillLearn
Click for full size
Update: I have not had much time to work on this eventho the problem has not been fixed.Several complaints,FCC,BBB,FTC, and Public service commission in Jackson Ms.Been up all night reading and studying and watching the news going on in Boston.Was diagnosed with degenerative disc and a one bulging disc today so I'll be home alot now.During my studys tonight I find out the internet company has blocked access to the modem. I can not access this page it times out.(»192.168.1.1) Zhone 1151-a1 ADSL2+ Single Port Modem. I wanted to see what they had it set too,but thats not going to happen on this modem so I'm considering buying this modem from walmart >Netgear DM111PSP Broadband ADSL2+ Modem and change the login info soon as I get it going.My internet requires no login. (DHCP) Can you tell me if this will work on my internet service?10 out of 11 reviews all good and supposed to be easy to setup with 90 days of support if needed. My neighbor said yesterday that by chance logged into there modem and its the same as the one I have so I'm headed over today to take screen shots of all the settings.Here is a saved image of pingplotter. I understand some of it but not all yet.

Jon J
join:2000-06-12
Nashville, TN

Jon J

The OP's tale of woe is mine exactly. About a week ago my DL speed started dropping by 80% at or a little after 4PM every day from a consistent 2.8 MBps to a nominal .5 MBps making Netflix streaming impossible. My location only allows a max of 3MBps which I pay $41 per month...recently up from $37 per month.

Long conversations with ATT/Bellsouth provided little help with the last solution being to replace my modem/router pair with a Westell/Netgear "gateway", their name for the two built into one.

This change has made no difference except to provide consistent speeds during the day 20% less than I got before. A tech just "reprovisioned" my line and removed some sort of noise filter and the speed has now returned to the 2.8 MBps I got before. I will find out this afternoon if the speed still drops dramatically at 4PM.
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell to cubguy

to cubguy
RT is short for Router?
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

RT = Remote Terminal/DSLAM

Jon J
join:2000-06-12
Nashville, TN

Jon J to jdhowell

to jdhowell
After a month and eight phone conversations with some very knowlegable techs the slowdown every day at about 4PM continues with no solution in sight. Very frustrating.

Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl to jdhowell

Premium Member

to jdhowell
I think what's important here (that no one seems to be asking) is... WHO is your phone company? From what I'm reading, it isn't AT&T, but a company reselling AT&T DSL somehow? Is that right? Your Speedtest screenshots show a former BellSouth (now AT&T) IP, but your post reads like your phone company isn't AT&T.

I wonder if the issue is that whatever DSL connections they have from AT&T (and are then passing onto you) are saturated...
jdhowell
Decatur, MS

jdhowell

The Phone Company is one of 6 private Phone Companys in Mississippi.
After some research I have learned they do buy the dsl internet from AT&T.They have over sold the service. I have filed complaint with the FCC and have sense talked to the FCC.The FCC and public service Comm in Jackson both have told me the service has been over sold and when everyone gets home from work or school the speeds slow down.
What pisses me off at this time is that the phone company KNEW this and the help desk continued to try and correct the problem. I have sense mailed them a bill for around 1600 bucks for all my time and assisting the help desk like I was asked to do. One week later I get a bill from the phone company for charges for internet support, which is or was free as their web site claims.Then the phone company removes (Free Tech Support 24/7) from their web site.
Now they are working to run fiber to the dslam closest to the house.
Phone company has not paid me .They billed me over 1600 bucks and said they would call it even! Im done with the lying mofos and selling my home and moving as soon as I can.