Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

[XPPro] Can't repair Win XP

Windows XP Pro

When I power on the computer I get the screen saying Windows didn't shut down properly. Trying all of the different boot options brings me to BSOD saying Windows found a problem and isn't going to boot. STOP: 000000B7

I booted the XP restore disk. It doesn't see any HDD. BIOS sees the 2 HDD in the box. Boot an Ubuntu CD. It sees and can access files on the 2 HDDs.

The disk with XP on it is a Western Digital WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 so I shouldn't need to load a driver to use the repair CD.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by vaxvms:

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

1. Boot into linux and image the drive in case anything goes wrong.

jobond

join:2004-10-21
Raleigh, NC
reply to vaxvms
The drives you have are crap..I have 2 of the same model..They quite booting. However you can read them after you boot Did everything I knew to get them to boot..No dice

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Crap or not crap... why wouldn't the Windows installation even see them?
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

jobond

Raleigh, NC
reply to vaxvms
Not sure..The same thing happened to me..Bios sees them. Windows install doesn't.

jobond

Raleigh, NC
reply to vaxvms
Hope you figure i out..Then maybe I can get mine to work.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to vaxvms
WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 is sata so you may need a driver for xp install or need to set sata to ide mode in the bios.

jobond

Raleigh, NC
I have bios set to sata.. Xp install disk includes service pack 3 which has the driver

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by jobond:

I have bios set to sata.. Xp install disk includes service pack 3 which has the driver

Try enable/disable AHCI if you have the bios option (the opposite of what its set to now).

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to vaxvms
It can be that hd is faulty, as suggested already try with a linux distro like PartedMagic etc., and test the drive

or use XP recovery console
»pcsupport.about.com/od/termsr/p/···sole.htm

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2012/13

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
reply to jobond
That sounds exactly like one of my Seagate drives. It does the same thing.

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH
reply to vaxvms
The 7B error is often associated with a bug as well. Most systems I come across with error are infected. Try a Kapersky rescue disk and scan it for condemning the drive.

jobond

Raleigh, NC
reply to vaxvms
This situation is not isolate to xp..I have a win7 installation that has done the same thing on the same drive model..Has something to do with the boot sector...