uniqs
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

Gruesome to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

The differences now are much smaller
If you have Cogeco Internet 30 in a bundle then it's about $ 8 cheaper than Teksavvy
For an extra $8 you get 25GB and unlimited between 2 and 8

For the average user who wants the 30 speed Cogeco looks better.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

said by Gruesome:

For an extra $8 you get 25GB and unlimited between 2 and 8

per TSI_Martin, this may change. There is no unlimited between 2 & * for cable. It's for DSL only (even though they stated it for cable in the forums).

See: »Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Vidéotron

He's more or less saying that if you buy their packages now expecting it to become unlimited, then too bad for you since it's not written in stone.

So until it's on their site, there is no unlimited, per TSI Martin.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by shrug :

per TSI_Martin, this may change. There is no unlimited between 2 & * for cable. It's for DSL only

So you know more than Marc now?
said by said by TSI Marc:in »[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco :
unlimited usage between 2am and 8am
ShetiPhian
join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

1 edit

ShetiPhian to shrug

to shrug
That might be a Videotron restriction.

Edit:
Actually I believe its more of a warning, telling people not to assume the time is currently unlimited.

The plans are not yet active, so only DSL has the 2-8am window, but once the new cable plans are active all services will have the unlimited window.
Expand your moderator at work

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to ShetiPhian

Anon

to ShetiPhian

said by ShetiPhian:

Dunno. He refers to "Cable". Not specifically only Videotton cable. In addition he states the unlimited is for DSL *only*.

So it seems to me it applies to all cable if he stated unlimited is for DSL only.
Expand your moderator at work

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

3 edits

metalhawk to Shrug

to Shrug

said by Shrug :

said by ShetiPhian:

Dunno. He refers to "Cable". Not specifically only Videotton cable. In addition he states the unlimited is for DSL *only*.

So it seems to me it applies to all cable if he stated unlimited is for DSL only.

Right now, only DSL users have the unlimited 2am to 8am.

All the threads with the new rates (Rogers, Bell, Bell Québec, Vidéotron, Cogeco, Telus) are what is to be expected soon. Mark posts those to gather feedback from users and sometimes adjusts based on those comments.

As part of those soon to be rates, cable will also get the 2am to 8am unlimited.

Once again, THOSE RATES AND USAGE LIMITS ARE NOT IN EFFECT YET!!!!!.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by metalhawk:

Right now, only DSL users have the unlimited 2am to 8am.

All the threads with the new rates (Rogers, Bell, Bell Quebec, Videotron, Cogeco, Telus) are what is to be expected soon. Mark posts those to gather feedback from users and sometimes adjusts based on those comments.

As part of those soon to be rates, cable will also get the 2am to 8am unlimited.

Once again, THOSE RATES AND USAGE LIMITS ARE NOT IN EFFECT YET!!!!!.

That is pretty much all correct. Let me add to it.

THESE PRICES ARE SUGGESTED, LOOKING AT, PROJECTED, WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT, BUT THEY ARE NOT LIVE!
NONE OF THE PRICES ARE CURRENTLY IN EFFECT!
Nothing is yet set in stone. Feedback has always been an integral part of our pricing.

-At this time, only DSL customers (ON/QC, AB/BC, NB/NS/PEI/NFLD) have the unlimited between 2AM & 8AM.

-At this time, none of our Cable customers (BC, ON, QC) has unlimited between 2AM & 8AM

- Unsure of modem prices, activation fee's or extra charges as things may be modified.

-An official announcement will be made once prices are in effect. Website will be updated with new prices (If site isn't updated, no new prices have been set). Existing customer will receive a 30day notice before as they may or may not be affected by new prices.

Marc has had lots of pressure to release prices, he did so in the intentions of getting feedback and to satisfy the curious mind. We do appreciate every comment and we do believe in listening to our customers. If certain things have not been mentioned, it's either because it's unsure, can't provide the details yet, or simply unknown. We've always been transparent & straight forward.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Regards,
Martin

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Martin, how about I just add a little note to the original post to say to not call in or ask for these as they are not yet available.

thinking that making it "more clear" is not actually helping

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Martin, how about I just add a little note to the original post to say to not call in or ask for these as they are not yet available....

The latest posts from BOTH of you were helpful.

Please also refer to mine, several posts above, for other late-breaking info, all in one place.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

Martin, how about I just add a little note to the original post to say to not call in or ask for these as they are not yet available....

The latest posts from BOTH of you were helpful.

Please also refer to mine, several posts above, for other late-breaking info, all in one place.

yep... i think this is all a race to the bottom to be honest but we'll play ball.. it will help people in our own backyard and others who dont have many options. I'll put up revised numbers in a few.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

....I'll put up revised numbers in a few.

Thanks.

Have you decided the latest policy on modems, and bundling them or not, for Cable ?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

Thanks.

Have you decided the latest policy on modems, and bundling them or not, for Cable ?

new numbers up.

no. not yet. I generally dont agree with renting equipment though.. after 2-3 years it really leaves you paying for something that you've long paid for.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by TSI Marc:

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

Thanks.

new numbers up.

no. not yet. I generally dont agree with renting equipment though.. after 2-3 years it really leaves you paying for something that you've long paid for.

I completely agree with you Marc that renting leaves you paying for much more than the purchase price of the actual device.

But it does give benefits to some people. Such as the current state of D2 and D3 modems being used simultaneously on cable networks. Some people are willing to accept that a switch to D3 CMs is needed, they can't stomach the $70-100 cost to upgrade to new speed tiers. Renting in this scenario would shield those who don't want to invest in equipment that can be quickly become outdated.

I don't agree with the mentality of such people myself, since technology is always quickly changing, can never bank on any piece of hardware having an extended life. But not everyone is tech savvy (pun not intended? O_o), and rentals may be a good option for those people. Rent a modem, have the ability to swap to a new model when its required.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah, that's why I'm looking into a rent-to-own/financed purchased option that will split the payments over a period...

it totally makes sense especially for existing customers who we know pay their bills...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Yeah, that's why I'm looking into a rent-to-own....

THAT's the way !

And of course only offer D3 modems.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

THAT's the way !

And of course only offer D3 modems.

D3 only for sure. We'll stop selling the D2's at month's end.

rent-to-own.. everybody is telling me not to do it... you get all sorts of ppl that get the modem and never pay.. never get the modem back... :\ thinking to only have the option for existing users. ofcourse the modem would end up costing more over all but.. even if it was only a 3-6 month thing.. that would help most deal with the initial hit.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko

Premium Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but that sounds like a really good optional choice that may be offered; depending on the individual customer/situation.

It's great you are thinking of such measures.
neko

neko to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I can't speak for anyone else, but that sounds like a really good optional choice that may be offered; depending on the individual customer/situation.

It's great you are thinking of such measures.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

rent-to-own.. everybody is telling me not to do it... you get all sorts of ppl that get the modem and never pay.. never get the modem back... :\ thinking to only have the option for existing users.

It is a very difficult question.. Believe it or not I get people who need a rent to own option on my used modems, so it is for sure helpful to some customers. I have to believe your advice is right, it is a huge risk.. but then just renting the modem should be equally risky, objectively.

Something about rent to own screams extra problems to me, and I can't really think of why. To that end, maybe have some set buy out rules. Don't call it rent to own, just say you can buy out the modem after 1 year at half price, or whatever seems reasonable.

Keeping it only for customers with a good track record will definitely reduce the risk, but it will not capture the broad base of people who could make use of the scheme.
said by TSI Marc:

ofcourse the modem would end up costing more over all but.. even if it was only a 3-6 month thing.. that would help most deal with the initial hit.

Used modems are a great way to help people with the initial hit