uniqs
share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Re: [TWC] [nyc, queens] rockaway park - packet loss noise issue(

Plant tech was here today, he did reveal that l3 logs did indeed show that since last wed upstream snr is not clean and every day it takes a dip below spec around 10pm until 4am is most visible.

Especially 19Mhz channel. Other 3 channels are mostly above spec although they dip too around same time. Now since there is no way to tell which channel modem uses or will use this doesnt really matter.

The plant tech was here did some readings and saw just a bit of packet loss but I did tell him that most visible packet loss is during night time, he said that he will try to forward the issue to engineering team but he also said to call l3 every night to make sure they note it again and again...

I will see how things will be over the weekend as I suspect they reconnected someones tap that has bad tv or illegal cable and anytime that person has that device on combined with higher usage the upstream noise is more visible and affecting me.

One interesting thing is that when I called l3 last week wed when the problem started they told me there was a big mainteance on the node that day, but the plant tech that was here checked the logs and said there was nothing of the sort... figures.

I now await to see if they push the issue to the engineering team as I also wait for verizon fios install next month. Wait and see.

Wineclaw

join:2012-11-14
Richmond Hill, NY

Thanks for the update on your end, kilrathi.

Tonight was the first night where, while there is still packet loss, it is much lower than the previous 7 nights. A lot of 1/20s and 4/20s instead of 19/20s according to the smokeping test.

Latency from KS is much more stable too.

said by kilrathi:

every day it takes a dip below spec around 10pm until 4am is most visible.

Almost the same here: 7pm to ~3am.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

The issue had to do with problem at the node and was resolved for past 2 weeks. I am very happy it did which made me push verizon fios install back another month. I am basically gonna keep verizon fios install scheduled but keep pushing it back and back as long as time warner has no major issues. Currently tw service is the way it should be.

While a tech was working recently on a pole near me I actually found out that my current tap is directly off first amp after node even though node is 4 blocks away they actually run cable off the node and first amp is here and then they run cable back to taps and in other direction. Tech did mention the amp is running way too hot but that wasnt his concern as he was investigating specific tv channel issue. He did say that during summer someone may have to make some adjustments or things may go bad.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

said by kilrathi:

The issue had to do with problem at the node and was resolved for past 2 weeks. I am very happy it did which made me push verizon fios install back another month. I am basically gonna keep verizon fios install scheduled but keep pushing it back and back as long as time warner has no major issues. Currently tw service is the way it should be.

While a tech was working recently on a pole near me I actually found out that my current tap is directly off first amp after node even though node is 4 blocks away they actually run cable off the node and first amp is here and then they run cable back to taps and in other direction. Tech did mention the amp is running way too hot but that wasnt his concern as he was investigating specific tv channel issue. He did say that during summer someone may have to make some adjustments or things may go bad.

That's a great idea to just keep the appointment with FiOS but keep on pushing it out further and further. Then when you really want to get it install you could probably try to get it moved up closer.

Fiosnow

@cogentco.com
reply to kilrathi

That's one thing that sucks about a hybrid fiber coax cable system is that levels fluctuates during seasons and even between night and day. More reason to go to fios!

SESnut

join:2000-03-06
Flushing, NY

Ive been getting random lag spikes as well in Flushing.

The packet loss is coming from tenge18-10-nycmnyk-c402.nyc.rr.com 40% 36 60 49.60 13667.73 30282.99

I had this problem a while back when sandy hit, but now its back again.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

I just tested my net since this thread was resurrected but no issues here, of course I dont go through that hop/router at all so if thats the issue this is why I seen no problems here in south queens

Call level 3 and ask whether there is any work peformed and whether he sees error rate on his end for you or for ur local area.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

I have to report that upstream packet loss is back today in full effect, constant 2-5% packet loss on the upstream only to any site/location. I did see some tw vans around last night but since network status page is down i cant verify there is something going on in the area. Been trying to reach level 3 today but after waiting about 40 minutes waiting I gave up for now.

I have been delaying fios installation every week and its set about month from now which is my backup plan in case upstream issue is back for good like last year. I hope not. Will update once I can reach level 3.

I finally reached level 3 on 3rd try without much wait(luck lol) but I got someone I never remember speaking with and this person wasnt very helpful at all basically didnt even wanna hear me trying to explain the problem at all, I did get technician reguler schedule started of course this kind of technician wont be able to do much with this situation as I have learned this before.

My best guess is that since this is hottest day here by the ocean of the year the heat maybe affecting something here. Previously a plant tech here about month ago did tell me that the amp and system here is running very hot and while he wasnt here about that but repairing a tv channel issue he did say he wouldnt wanna see this amp when it gets hotter...

I noticed when I reboot the modem and it locks 30.6Mhz upstream channel as primary ID channel I have more packet loss than if modem locks 23.8Mhz channel. It almost reminds me of the problem and about same thing I saw last year. I really hope that if this is outside temperature related something is done because weather is only gonna get hotter.

manshow

join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC

U been posting here for months about the same issue. Just switch to fios already!!!

Equipment hanging on a pole in the heat by the water is nothing but recipe for disaster.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

2 edits
reply to kilrathi

upstream lost packets at regular intervals
Yes but for past 3 months I had no problems so I kept moving fios back.

Dont forget this is the area verizon is still repairing a lot of their system since sandy this is why I am careful. I have been following verizon forums too.

If this is heat related I am pretty confident I will be able to get plant tech in here within a week after initial reg tech visit, I just hope it wont take longer than a week.

Picture I attached kinda illustrates whats going on with upstream right now and this only started basically today although last night as I mentioned modem log showed a lot of t3 time out errors for the first time more than 1 in short amount of time in about 2-3 months.

The actual voip packet loss is horrible too, udp packets the small packets there is horribl epacket loss on upstream glad I dont have phone from tw.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

3 edits
reply to kilrathi

I was on phone again because problem is a bit worse right now actual speed is starting to be affected by increased upstream packet loss. Whats weird though is the dlsreports line quality tests show no problems everything clean but actual streaming to twitch, voip and other packet loss tests all show packet loss on the upstream at steady intervals.... plus the tech again told me there are no issues with upstream snr or antyhing on the node on their end that they see.... so my thought is could modem be doing this as if going bad, seems odd for that be the case.

However, my neighbor have time warner or rather his roomate does and he left for a week, his modem and stuff is turned off but I can take it for the night plug here and see if the packet loss is same just for a moment, if everyting is fine then I will know its the modem, if not well then still a mystery.

UPDATE: I tested different modem ubee DDW3611, even though its provisioned for different slower plan it still locked on same amount of channels 8/4 and showed about same specs on signals, however even though upstream is slower on that provision the modem did show upstream packet loss just as well, which means my motorla 6141 is defnitely not at fault here. This saves me wasting time to try to swap a modem from tw during the week in hopes of that being the solution.

Both modems show pretty much perfect signal stats in ranges that you would want everything to be but both have upstream 2-5% packet loss and currently in the evening actual upstream speed is affected on my modem thats provisioned for 5mbit upstream it barely hits 4 at this time where otherwise i never had issue with upstream speed touching 5 or close to it.

Update I checked line test here at 10pm and it showed problems too of 5% packet loss on the smallest packets(which indeed is a problem for voip and gaming). I woke up at 3am to see if anything was better when things are least used but the problem persists and upload speed is maxing at 4mbit instead of what i normally was always able to reach 5mbit besides just the packet loss on the upstream.

In addition since about 11pm log is full of these warnings:

TEK Invalid - Invalid Key Sequence Number

Thats also something that have not been occuring much and when it did it would be once per 2 weeks but tonight more than 10 times...

Expand your moderator at work

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Re: [TWC] [nyc, queens] rockaway park - packet loss noise issue(

At 6 am the problem dissapeared, however at 1 pm today the problem is back same as it was yesterday. Wonder if its coincidence that the problem started on june 1, maybe something was done with scheduled work or something was turned on on the system here, just guesswork. If pattern stays same as yesterday the upstream noise will get worse in the evening and continue being the worst all night until 5 am or so.

This is very similar to pattern when there was illegal cable causing this last year, the person had the device on when they were home and awake and thats when the problem would occur. Its weekend so I am wondering how the pattern will change or continue over weekdays. ITs a steady noise/error rate at regular intervals or pretty close to regular intervals. It affects small packets udp/tcp the most it seems. Had to change appointment to tuesday because prefer to have 4-6pm slot over 12-2 as the problem at least yesterday was much more visible at those hours.

UPDATE MONDAY.

Sunday mid day the temperature dropped by about 10F degrees cooler than previous day same time problem dissapeared, now I am not certain just guessing that the issue is magnified by hotter weather and only visible once temperature is around 80+ and sunny. Today monday so far there is no issue as well but the weather is much cooler, I will reschedule tech for a day maybe next weekend when weather is hotter or if th eproblem returns before that.

RonnieDo

@rr.com

I have a similar issue but thank goodness it's not at my home. It's here at work supposedly business class service. A tech visit per month since installation too bad no fios here yet. Only option which we had before was 3meg dsl. Go for fios why u wasting ur time an effort.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

Well it seems its not related to heat since the problem is back since 7pm... and intervals are same with the upstream packet loss.

So my theory that whoever had the illegal device on illegal tap hooked up last year that was causing this kind of problem may have his cable hooked up again is something i have to consider again. It fits same pattern as last year, the person would get home around 7-8pm and usually problem continued until 6am, on weekends would occur most of the time and some days would occur whole day. Now so far this is still just a guess but I have to think why the problem was gone most of the day yesterday(maybe person was working sunday or was gone on sunday) and was gone most of the day today, but now in the evening is back.

Wonder if it stays till morning just like last year...
Of course I have tech visit tomorrow but its 4-6pm so not sure what the chances are of tech being here when the problem is actually occuring.

Only other thing I can think of is that 1 channel is having noise and modem uses 1 upstream channel at any time and maybe just sometimes it uses that channel based on specific conditions and this would also explain the problem coming and going like this.

Also starting at 9pm tonight log is full of T3 timeout errors something that wasnt occuring much if at all for past 3 months.

UPDATE 11pm

I spoke with l3 tech again tonight frustrated with the problem and the person I spoke with tonight *DID CONFIRM* that he saw upstream snr drop on saturday and again today corresponding to when I see the problem vs other days and past few months of this year. He also mentioned a lot of correctables/uncorrectables occuring on the upstream on saturday and today at the time of the call, I asked him to note this on the account.

Now this appears same exact pattern and problem like last year so I am trying to find out how to go about for tw to find out if they reconnected a tap to the address that was disconnected last year to solve the noise on the system due to bad/illegal device at address. Because its quite possible that was rreconnected and same kind of problem is occuring again. Last year similar problems with upstream noise started around may and after many visits, calls and finally l3 escalating the problem to engineering team problem was fixed 4 months later in october(illegal/bad device at address few blocks away).

update tuesday

Whole day everything was clean since 6am, however at 7:20pm the upstream noise returned and its occuring same way as before at regular intervals causing about 2-4% upstream packet loss, I am pretty sure there are correctables occuring on upstream now as there are also large delays occuring at intervals even when data is not lost. I will monitor whether the problem tonight will end once peak usage time is over or whether it stays occuring all night long.

Tech was rescheduled for saturday as having him today between 4 and 6 wouldnt have accomplished anything. I suspect this is tied to illegal/bad device on illegal tap somewhere in area and when that person is home and have it on the noise occurs, could also be magnified during peak usage time. So I hope saturday it will occur during day just like last weekend.

UPDATE

Tuesday the problem did not appear much except for few minutes at 7pm.

Wednsday the packet loss on upstream is back since 1pm and continuing (so far 5pm). Weather wise both days are same, only more wind, so this is not heat related it seems. Again this points to bad device on illegal cable and the person who uses it was possibly away tuesday but its home today...

Another possibility is that the noise occurs only on one upstream channel and whenever that channel is used by the modem thats when the problem is visible, and since this is controlled by cmts and one cant really tell which channel is used for upstream its hard for me to narrow down which.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Problem is back today, same thing packet loss on the upstream at regular intervals, and this is first day here in rockaway since June 1(back when problem also occured) when temperature been above 88F. So I start to suspect this could be problem caused by heat/temperature affecting some outside equipment...