spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aftcomet

join:2009-07-14
Mississauga, ON

Is BTGuard or something similar worth it?

With the recent lawsuit against Teksavvy and huge crackdown on Usenet, I'm thinking about adding a layer of protection.

Is using a VPN like BtGuard worth it to hide your IP from public trackers?

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
Why are you using public trackers?

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Because all the private ones have halted invitations?

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
reply to afterburn999
Hard to find content.

jerrycan

join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to Aftcomet
I use it. I know it works and it is totally worth it.

And I use the Btguard proxy for your torrent client.
Expand your moderator at work

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jerrycan

Re: Is BTGuard or something similar worth it?

said by jerrycan:

I use it. I know it works and it is totally worth it.

And I use the Btguard proxy for your torrent client.

Get a proper VPN, not proxy, not secure at all!!

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

Hard to find content.

Fair enough but listen to Guru Proxy are not very secure.

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

Because all the private ones have halted invitations?

I really hope that was sarcasm.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
reply to afterburn999
What about Private Internet Access? Is that a true VPN? Does it work? Do they really not keep logs? Is it much safer than going with a bare connection?

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Aftcomet
This is simple guys and has been answered many times before.

1) Buy linux VPS
2) Setup VPN server
3) ???
4) Profit.

Unless you do it yourself, you are always putting yourself at risk (access logs, usage logs, etc). I like having control over my own VPN server and all it requires is a little linux knowledge to set it up...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

What about Private Internet Access? Is that a true VPN? Does it work? Do they really not keep logs? Is it much safer than going with a bare connection?

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Excellent. If it's truly anonymous then I'm all in. I'm going to sign up for it. I'd hate it for it to be a placebo though.

Thanks.

NotFoolproof

@torservers.net
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Unless you do it yourself, you are always putting yourself at risk (access logs, usage logs, etc). I like having control over my own VPN server and all it requires is a little linux knowledge to set it up...

Say what? I don't understand. Configuring a VPN server inside your own network achieves exactly nothing.

NotFoolproof

@uwaterloo.ca
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

Excellent. If it's truly anonymous then I'm all in. I'm going to sign up for it. I'd hate it for it to be a placebo though.

It is not a placebo but not foolproof either. Your identity is found by tracing IP addresses, matched to financial transactions, and finally by profiling.

VPNs are not foolproof. All you have done, at most, is added one extra subpoena to the overall effort. Most of the VPN providers have very carefully crafted weasel words suggesting they don't log. Hogwash. They do. Examine their privacy statements very carefully (not the marketing fluff stuff on the front page).

»blog.hidemyass.com/2011/09/23/lu ··· -fiasco/

A VPN may complicate a search. It may raise the cost of finding your true identity. Depends on many factors including method of payment, access patterns, country of origin, and country of destination. You are not anonymous. If someone decides to spend the money you will be found out. Period.

Is it good enough to escape the notice of hit-n-run trolls? For now maybe. If it becomes popular I expect some scape goats to be found an prosecuted as an example.

»www.shareconnector.com/the-obama ··· om-case/

Peace and Love.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
So Private Internet Access keeps logs? That almost defeats the purpose of it. They seem pretty adamant about not keeping logs whatsoever, that's what their privacy policy says. (They do say they'll comply with subpoenas but naturally they'd say that). In the US and Canada they're legally not required to keep logs so why would they? it just increases their cost.

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Aftcomet:

So Private Internet Access keeps logs? That almost defeats the purpose of it. They seem pretty adamant about not keeping logs whatsoever, that's what their privacy policy says. (They do say they'll comply with subpoenas but naturally they'd say that). In the US and Canada they're legally not required to keep logs so why would they? it just increases their cost.

They don't keep logs. If they don't keep logs then, they can't provide anything to the authorities.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Thanks Guru, that's what I was thinking.

NotFoolproof

@torproxy.org
said by Aftcomet:

Thanks Guru, that's what I was thinking.

I don't want to scare anyone. Really just want to force some critical thinking.

The PIA Privacy Policy says:
PrivateInternetAccess.com does not collect or log any traffic or use of its Virtual Private Network ("VPN").

Now read "Deposition of Prenda’s Paul Hansemeier regarding AF Holdings: transcript" from »fightcopyrighttrolls.com/

Notice how weasel words can be used to appear to say something but in fact say nothing at all? Notice how Nicholas Ranallo and Morgan Pietz have to hammer away at the language to get a real understanding of the statements to uncover facts? I noticed.

Now go back to the PIA Privacy Policy. What is it actually saying? What is the definition of "collect", "traffic" or "use"? Does it include the ingress connection data or only the egress data? How would you know?

My point is not that PIA is bad. They could be everything they promise to be. My point is that you have no legal grounds to do anything should your expectations not be met. My previous links are an example.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to NotFoolproof
said by NotFoolproof :

said by d4m1r:

Say what? I don't understand. Configuring a VPN server inside your own network achieves exactly nothing.

Huh? I never said anything about your own network...I said BUY a linux vps so unless you're gonna sell yourself a linux vps...You're presumably gonna be buying that from somewhere/someone else...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

said by d4m1r:

said by NotFoolproof :

said by d4m1r:

Huh? I never said anything about your own network...I said BUY a linux vps so unless you're gonna sell yourself a linux vps...You're presumably gonna be buying that from somewhere/someone else...

You are right. Sorry. My mistake.

You're a smart guy d4m1r. I assume you'd agree that the same arguments apply for VPS as VPN? You kinda hafta read the providers TOS and privacy statements. Normally these statements have a lot of words that try to be very clear in their definitions of how they are going to abuse you. How can ya trust terms that are too brief and open to interpretation?

In the end it comes down to trust. It ought to be really weird putting trust in any new business relationship that is not being perfectly clear when specifying contractual terms.

jerrycan

Waterloo, ON
reply to Guru
Well I know it works. It is a proxy. Why wouldn't it?

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by jerrycan:

Well I know it works. It is a proxy. Why wouldn't it?

Really? I thought it's not suppose to work, damn man! *Face Palm

Truth

@netbuy.nl
reply to NotFoolproof
Read this then make your choice.

»torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-th ··· -130302/

jerrycan

Waterloo, ON

1 edit
reply to Aftcomet
Well BTGuard does work. I started it last summer and it saved me from being "electrified", if you catch my drift. I bought the 1 year dealio... $60 for a full year.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guru
The goal isn't to be 'secure' whatever that means in this context. The goal is to be anonymous. Since there is absolutely no way to trace any content to an individual box, or user, it's impossible for you to get sued. Even BTGuard themselves can't currently trace content to user, because they don't keep any logs whatsoever.