uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

[request] "Save Draft" capability?

I don't know if this request would be of use to anyone else, but: would it be possible for DSLR to add a feature that would allow a user to save a rough draft of a post so that they could post it later?

Admittedly, the Internet isn't a medium that encourages reflection when you can communicate (inflict?) you thoughts on other people with a mouse click or two. However, perhaps I'm not the only one who was hesitant to post about a given something-or-other and sought a way to save a half-finished post without either saving the text to Notepad or dumping it altogether.

Anyway, it's just an idea. [shrugs]
--
Joey? Do you like movies about gladiators?

NotHereNow

@verizon.net

Re: "Save Draft" capability?

Besides using an external application (for example, as you suggest, Notepad--or any other editor for that matter), there are browser add-ons if you use Firefox (and other browsers, too, I suppose) which support note creation and commenting (such as QuickFox Notes). Other add-ons, like It's All Text!, make it easier to use an external editor. (The forum software I've used which does support Drafts tends to be more annoying than helpful. Just my opinion, of course.)

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Neutron

You might also try Jarte's Hot Connect feature (if you're using Windows):
»www.jarte.com/help_new/hot_connect.html
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to Mr Neutron

I'm afraid any type of browser add-on or software install won't work in my particular case. That's why I was hoping other people might find such a feature useful enough to incorporate into the BBR site itself. It sounds like no one else has any use for that sort of thing. [shrugs]

I appreciate the replies nonetheless. Thanks, fellas.
--
Joey? Do you like movies about gladiators?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

I'm sure there are a number of people who would find it useful.

As far as installs etc... some years back I worked at a place that had desktops pretty much locked down. This, however, didn't prevent users from downloading programs from PortableApps.com and using them--no "install" required (the paf.exe basically being a self-extracting archive).
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Neutron

I recommended the same feature about a year ago and still think it would be a good idea... +1.

True an external application could work but that would require staying on the same computer. Often I would like to finish a post I started in the morning... I could easily finish it at work rather than wait 'till I got home (also at work I could not use 3rd party stuff).

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Neutron

Providing a way to save questionable and/or half finished posts could create a large queue of them for a user. Some type of auto-purge for unposted responses would need to be added as well.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Mr Neutron

I would never use it...finding notepad does similar and am not sure it would be worth the scripting to add to the site.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The same could be said for spell check... browser plugins, external apps, etc. could all be used for spell check too but I am glad they have it as a feature. It is just inconvenient to me to have to copy the text to some other app while it is already right there on the form.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

reply to CXM_Splicer

There are online note apps/sites which could be used, too. I used to use Google Docs for a scratchpad of sorts to compose stuff. Composing a post for this (or any other) site, however, has never really taken so much time that I've had to worry about my location when starting & finishing it (at least not yet).
--