uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to ajwees41

to ajwees41

Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

SDV is the thorn in everyone's backside. It's aggravating, well loathed, and unnecessary. It's literally one of the reasons why I'll only live in a Comcast serviced area.
Anyway I brought the question up about MPEG4 and the Premiere because of this thread I came across with people having issues with Cox. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=458185

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

I think SDV is a good idea, but it has to be carefully done. First question is, do the tuning adapters support more than 2 streams at the same time? Do they work with Ceton or Silicon Dust cable card powered media center PC?

What about doing HD-DTA's? Do HD-DTA's support the request for channel messages back to the headend? I don't think they are two-way and thats part of the reason why they are so much cheaper.

So say you issue HD-DTA's and you want to offer your standard lineup ch 2-100 but with an HD-DTA you decide to auto-map the HD version of all available HD channels in that 2-100 range to make things easier for the grannies, small children, housewives and idiots. Well you wouldn't be able to put those 90 or so HD's in SDV if the HD-DTA doesn't support it. Or you couldn't put the SD version of those in SDV because the SD-DTA's wouldn't support it.

IMO SDV would work great for premiums like multi screens of HD for HBO, Max, Showtime, TMC, Starz, Encore, etc... It would work good for sports packages in 100% HD like MLB, NHL, NFL Sunday Ticket (if DirecTV ever loses exclusivity on it). It would work well for multiple language tiers like Spanish, Russian, Asian, European, etc... You give a reason for customers to upgrade to a box that can do MPEG4, 1GHz, SDV. Your majority who doesn't subscribe to ethnic packages, premiums or sports packages won't miss a beat.

I'm not sure what Blue Ridge Cable in Northeast PA runs, but the diagnostics for some of those secondary+ premium's listed 903 MHz in the Passport echo diagnostic channel. Though hub id 18 where I was did not have them fully setup whereas in Ephrata PA, those channels are all configured.

I would use 870-1GHz for DOCSIS, VOD and ethnic packages. Perhaps run DOCSIS on RF ch 135-142 so you still have one channel for 2.0 modems that can't go over 864 MHz. That would be simular to bandwidth FIOS offers since they have 870MHz of plant off the ONT but no bandwidth on that 870 MHz swath is wasted for the purpose of "DOCSIS" or VOD.

Or maybe just run business class internet in the 870-1GHz range. MetroE, virtual private lines, and all of that good stuff. Businesses get first class attention so the installers would be sure to check line quality at those frequencies for the people paying for SLA's.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

I think rogers cable and other ontario uses SDV and they have the super sports with up to 23 HD channels for stuff like NHL CI, NFL ST and others.

Shaw cable uses MPEG 4 for NHL CI HD (up to 15 HD feeds) and NFL ST HD (up to 15 Feeds) and other channels??

Now at the very lest can comcast do a limited SDV where they trun off VOD slots for part time stuff like RSN overflows, red zone, goal line / espn buzzer beater, game 1-9 HD, team 1-9 HD, and others.

Also maybe down the road iN DEMAND can have the very part time HD PPV 2 come back also maybe add TEAM 10 HD and GAME 10-14 HD.

ESPN Game Plan HD Full Court HD soon?

att-uverse has 10 HD channels for NBA LP. Directv has DUAL HD feeds for most NBA, NHL, and MLB games.

Now in the past comcast talked about wanting NFL ST (I think the last time was 2-3 years ago when they talked about swapping NFL ST for CSN Philly) on directv

and now maybe in 2015 directv may not be the only place to get NFL ST in the USA.