nu2this
NOT
Premium
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Favorite OS for Mac?

Which was your favorite os for Mac? 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8?

And why? Ad if you dare, which do you like least.
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Liked the most, maybe 10.6, second would be 10.8, least was 10.7.

Only been an OS X user since 2009. Almost 4 years, this April. I would never ever go back to Windows.

I also love their iPad.

The iPhone, despite being their income generator, is grossly overrated. IMHO. I like everything else, including my Shuffle and Classic.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to nu2this

I miss the extension strip..................................!!!!!

(Thought 9 was damn fast, probably as fast as (upto) 10.4.........)

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nu2this

I think my favorite was 10.4
I think that's when applications were most useful before they stated to cut application features. I am not liking all the pop ups lately. I think the quality and speed where better back then too... I don't like the newer finder and the save and duplicate terminology. The pop ups are so annoying
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to kerriskandie

said by kerriskandie:

I miss the extension strip..................................!!!!!

(Thought 9 was damn fast, probably as fast as (upto) 10.4.........)

9 was pretty nice. Still run it with sheepshaver
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to nu2this

10.6.8 and sticking with it.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to nu2this

said by nu2this:

The pop ups are so annoying

what pop ups?

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to JohnInSJ

OS 9 was pretty nice LOL? You guys have a different memory from reality..

haroldo

united state

4 edits
reply to nu2this

Everyone longs for the good old days, but no matter what aspect you're looking at, each upgrade adds ten wonderful improvements for each disappointing feature (or something that decreases functionality).
I try to learn about each new version and always read the "200+ new features in ___ (fill in the name of the OS)" before each upgrade.
At least 3/4 of the features don't affect me, so I can't assess whether they have improved things, or not.
Of the feature that do, I try to check out each new feature (figuring that if they added it, it must be something worthwhile). In some instances, I don't like it initially (like all of us, the first day using natural scrolling was a PITA) but learned to really like (love) it a lot. In other cases I thought something was silly or not needed (Mission Control, the Safari Reader button and Reading List) but after a period of time realize I use it all the time and really like it. There were others that I didn't appreciate the improvement until I used it (the ubiquitous share button) and now use it all the time (especially from within Finder). Of course, there are things I have no use for (Launch Pad) so I just ignore it (and hide the icon).
The negatives (or frustration) that have popped up at upgrade typically are long forgotten within a week or two. I can't think of one thing that was better nor easier (from earlier systems), nor do I find myself complaining about the design (look and feel, etc.)
There have been so many changes and improvements that I can't remember what was added nor when. I know that it's nearly impossible (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration) to use an older machine. For anyone longing for the good old days, just try using a Mac with an earlier OS (than the one you're using) and see how frustrating or difficult it is.
But if you truly long for an earlier system, you can always reformat and install the older OS (or buy an older machine, there's no shortage of them on eBay).
Has anyone rolled back? If not, why not?

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
reply to haroldo

Software update pop ups every ten minutes, the flash updates on a weekly basis

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

I rolled back on my laptop. Runs great.

I am not suggesting everyone rollback. The speeds and 64 b vs 32 b are nice. But the little things... Annoying. And why limit apps? Remember iMovie got limited and QuickTime player 7 vs 10. We could do more things out of the box back then.
--

haroldo

united state
reply to nu2this

said by nu2this:

Software update pop ups every ten minutes, the flash updates on a weekly basis

gotcha...I usually install them relatively soon after notification, so it's never been a nuisance (is it really every 10 minutes?)

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

OS 9 was pretty nice LOL? You guys have a different memory from reality..

Well compared to 7 it was nice.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

well, i just closed it (click and drag on notification as there is no close button or ignore button) I have a friend that installed some apps on my iMac on her itunes account and I can't update them without her being logged into my computer... so... yeah... about every ten minutes it pops back up or so.
--

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to nu2this

8.6 and 9 were the fastest, and stable Classic OS'es.....
9, from memory, was only surpassed for speed, by 10.5 and up................

I just miss the extension strip......not the whole bloody OS!!!!!!!!!!

the Dock.......especially after some Mirage treatment, is growing on me though..........slowly!!!! ( yes.....I know the EX strip and Dock are not doing the same things).....

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to nu2this

PowerPC:
10.4 (Tiger) was the last "perfect" OS from Apple that launched without any nasty surprises/headaches on its' launch and the Intel version of Tiger is rock solid too. Dashboard widgets proved Apple & 3rd party developers could pull off something more useful than Microsoft's sloppy attempt at Vista widgets. (while I own two Vista booting PCs, never found any widgets worth using, the widget dock is disabled)

Intel
10.6 (Snow Leopard) it began the start of most people skipping every other OS release, Leopard was a buggy piece of crap until 10.5.5. The main upside to Snow Leopard is being the last version to support Rosetta. You could compare this to being Windows 7 and Leopard being Vista until SP1. Only big innovation from Apple during this time period was Numbers for iWork09, it finally gave AppleWorks owners incentive to move on.

Least liked... hmm, System 7.5 brought new meaning of "Bomb Error" and 10.7 (Lion) has been the worst I've ever touched, thankfully I never upgraded after seeing new Macs running it--by the time Apple issued enough fixes, Mountain Lion was on the horizon.

I would say on the mixed opinion of ok/bad 10.3 (Panther) wasn't much of an improvement from Jaguar, loss of docking application shortcuts to the top part of folder windows was annoying. At least "Classic" had the redraw/screen refresh bug fixed which made playing pre-OS X games usable again.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to nu2this

10.6 was the best overall user interface, 10.8 is better than 10.7 in terms of reliability and glitches but it does seem to have "dumbed" the interface down.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to nu2this

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to nu2this

I was not a fan of the classic MacOS. I guess it doesnt help that I started using Macs (at work) at OS 7.5, which must have been the buggiest piece of crap on the planet... By the time it got to 9.x, it was better, but still meh... I did like the simplicity of troubleshooting it though.

As for OS X, I remember installing the first beta, and it was so out of left field I didnt like it one bit. 10.1 was better, but still not much worked natively in it. First usable version of OS X that I used without swearing left & right was 10.2 Jaguar. From then on, it got a lot better.

As for which OS X I liked the most, I think I'd have to say Tiger & Snow Leopard. Lion was a turd, Mountain Lion is much better once you disable stupid shit like "natural scrolling" and a few other annoyances.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to nu2this

It was relatively stable, it ran smoothly, and was elegant.

10.7 was a train wreck

10.8 is a train wreck but with a new coat of paint. If 10.8 can be fixed to the level of 10.6 it would be the best one. Instead it's half assed, slow, inefficient, and buggy. Apple doesn't look like it wants to fix it either seeing the last patch was 5 months ago.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to nu2this

Right now I'm liking Snow Leopard (10.6.8) Mountain Lion was just too much and not terribly reliable on this old Mac.

haroldo

united state
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

...10.7 was a train wreck

10.8 is a train wreck but with a new coat of paint...

I guess I must either be very lucky or completely oblivious.
My computer works perfectly. I never get spinning beach balls any more (not sure if that was an OS upgrade or the fact that I have an Air). I have no problems, everything does what it's supposed to.
The few, if any, issues can be fixed with a 40 second reboot.
The iOS/iCloud integration is amazing.

I don't know, I could be unaware of 'things', but what I do know, I like.
So, I'll ask...is it luck or am I totally unaware of how awful it really is? (former Dell XP user, so I think I am in a position to judge awful)

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Maybe we're just spoiled.

We're used to everything working. Literally.. everything.

There are ton of inconsistencies (UI, exchange, gestures, mail, calendar, active directory, less skeuomorphic abominatons).
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nu2this

Seriously. Don't laugh.

The reason 10.0 is my favorite is because it was SO revolutionary! It changed everything.

It was fun to explore, fun to watch it develop, and exciting to be part of something new! Sure, it was rough around the edges (yeah, OK, that's putting it mildly) but you could tell right away that this was going to be something incredible.

And it is. It truly, truly is. There is NOTHING a PC can do that my Mac can't. Couldn't say that in the System 7 days.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Mountain Lion is much better once you disable stupid shit like "natural scrolling" and a few other annoyances.

Agreed. Once I turn off natural scrolling, enable "show scroll bars always" and turning down Gatekeeper, Mountain Lion is a winner for me. Stable as a brick sh*thouse.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to haroldo

my PC runs Vista...while that OS certainly seems to get the gears from everyone, i have used it trouble free since i got the computer almost 6 years ago...my new iMac should be here in a couple of weeks...getting excited.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to nu2this

BeOS

But seriously, 10.8 is great for anything made within the last 2-3 years. 10.6.8 for Macs before that.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to nu2this

The latest.

And I've used every version since 1.0.

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to nu2this

1. 10.6. I really liked Spaces before they borked it up in 10.7 and 10.8. And this new crap where Apple is always telling me "You can't run this Flash, Java, etc. until you upgrade to an Apple Approved version." I paid $2,500 for my Mac Pro, more than $1,000 in upgrades, and they're micro managing every aspect of what I can do with my damn machine. It's really starting to piss me off, and doesn't bode well for the future of Apple's desktop OS.

2. 10.8. It's better than 10.7. That's really not saying much, though. Another thing that's bugging me is every Apple app wanting to save my stuff "in the Cloud" rather than on my machine.

3. 10.5. My Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM really runs great on it. I miss some of the little touches that they added in 10.6, though.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to nu2this

I'm using ML 10.8.3 on this old MacBook Pro, 2007, runs a wee bit slow (2GB max RAM..could go 3) other than that it's acceptable.....................