share rss forum feed

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to nu2this

Re: Favorite OS for Mac?

Right now I'm liking Snow Leopard (10.6.8) Mountain Lion was just too much and not terribly reliable on this old Mac.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

...10.7 was a train wreck

10.8 is a train wreck but with a new coat of paint...

I guess I must either be very lucky or completely oblivious.
My computer works perfectly. I never get spinning beach balls any more (not sure if that was an OS upgrade or the fact that I have an Air). I have no problems, everything does what it's supposed to.
The few, if any, issues can be fixed with a 40 second reboot.
The iOS/iCloud integration is amazing.

I don't know, I could be unaware of 'things', but what I do know, I like.
So, I'll ask...is it luck or am I totally unaware of how awful it really is? (former Dell XP user, so I think I am in a position to judge awful)

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Maybe we're just spoiled.

We're used to everything working. Literally.. everything.

There are ton of inconsistencies (UI, exchange, gestures, mail, calendar, active directory, less skeuomorphic abominatons).
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nu2this

Seriously. Don't laugh.

The reason 10.0 is my favorite is because it was SO revolutionary! It changed everything.

It was fun to explore, fun to watch it develop, and exciting to be part of something new! Sure, it was rough around the edges (yeah, OK, that's putting it mildly) but you could tell right away that this was going to be something incredible.

And it is. It truly, truly is. There is NOTHING a PC can do that my Mac can't. Couldn't say that in the System 7 days.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Mountain Lion is much better once you disable stupid shit like "natural scrolling" and a few other annoyances.

Agreed. Once I turn off natural scrolling, enable "show scroll bars always" and turning down Gatekeeper, Mountain Lion is a winner for me. Stable as a brick sh*thouse.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to haroldo

my PC runs Vista...while that OS certainly seems to get the gears from everyone, i have used it trouble free since i got the computer almost 6 years ago...my new iMac should be here in a couple of weeks...getting excited.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to nu2this

BeOS

But seriously, 10.8 is great for anything made within the last 2-3 years. 10.6.8 for Macs before that.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to nu2this

The latest.

And I've used every version since 1.0.

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to nu2this

1. 10.6. I really liked Spaces before they borked it up in 10.7 and 10.8. And this new crap where Apple is always telling me "You can't run this Flash, Java, etc. until you upgrade to an Apple Approved version." I paid $2,500 for my Mac Pro, more than $1,000 in upgrades, and they're micro managing every aspect of what I can do with my damn machine. It's really starting to piss me off, and doesn't bode well for the future of Apple's desktop OS.

2. 10.8. It's better than 10.7. That's really not saying much, though. Another thing that's bugging me is every Apple app wanting to save my stuff "in the Cloud" rather than on my machine.

3. 10.5. My Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM really runs great on it. I miss some of the little touches that they added in 10.6, though.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to nu2this

I'm using ML 10.8.3 on this old MacBook Pro, 2007, runs a wee bit slow (2GB max RAM..could go 3) other than that it's acceptable.....................

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dave49er

said by dave49er:

1. 10.6. I really liked Spaces before they borked it up in 10.7 and 10.8. And this new crap where Apple is always telling me "You can't run this Flash, Java, etc. until you upgrade to an Apple Approved version." I paid $2,500 for my Mac Pro, more than $1,000 in upgrades, and they're micro managing every aspect of what I can do with my damn machine. It's really starting to piss me off, and doesn't bode well for the future of Apple's desktop OS.

2. 10.8. It's better than 10.7. That's really not saying much, though. Another thing that's bugging me is every Apple app wanting to save my stuff "in the Cloud" rather than on my machine.

3. 10.5. My Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM really runs great on it. I miss some of the little touches that they added in 10.6, though.

If it really bothers you, go to System Prefs -> Security and uncheck 'Automatically update safe download list'

There you go.

But if some nasty Java or Flash bug infects your Mac, don't blame Apple. It'd be your own fault.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

...for having flash and Java installed to begin with?

nu2this
NOT
Premium
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

and you don't have flash and java installed?

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

I use Chrome's version that is up to date and I trust that sandbox more than any other browser.

No java. No point.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

...for having flash and Java installed to begin with?

No, for bypassing a mechanism that prevents infections.

As I recall, neither are included by default anymore - I believe you have to download both?

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Adobe and Oracle are also guilty.

They suck at maintaining their applications.

They could also be pushing updates through the Mac App Store instead of having to play "guess and check".

double guilty
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

99% of windows infections come from the same as well... Java and flash are the bane of all OS's

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Adobe and Oracle are also guilty.

They suck

Could've stopped right there.

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to dennismurphy

A few weeks ago I was having major problems with my Verizon FIOS. I have 50/25, but I was getting speeds as low as .08/25 for 2-3 weeks. All of the speed tests require either Java or Flash, and I'd run one, then try a little later and it wouldn't run cuz Apple kept blocking them. I had Java 64 bit, so it wouldn't run in Chrome IIRC because it requires 32 bit Java. It was a major pain in the ass. And, of course, download speeds were really slow...

said by dennismurphy:

If it really bothers you, go to System Prefs -> Security and uncheck 'Automatically update safe download list'

Thanks, I was looking for that. They hid it under "Advanced..." Done! And I also allow "Applications downloaded from anywhere."

said by dennismurphy:

But if some nasty Java or Flash bug infects your Mac, don't blame Apple. It'd be your own fault.

Exactly. it would be my responsibility. That's as it should be, and I accept that. I don't need a nanny.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to nu2this

I have fond memories of 10.4 because it was the OS that came with the first Mac I ever owned. The first Mac I ever used however was back in 1985. So far, I have to say 10.8 is my favorite because of the new features. However, I have gotten used to restarting both the laptop and desktop every week because OS X as of late doesn't seem to like a lot of uptime.