spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BN321
@charter.com

BN321

Anon

Wireless router choice

I am switching from Charter's combo modem/wireless router. For the new setup, Charter will provide the modem, I am to provide the wireless router. I'm thinking of getting a NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700. Will that work well? Any problems with that choice?
THANKS

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

msmisfit

From what I've read they are pretty good routers and it should work well. I have a Netgear 3800 that works just fine. I've had it a year now. I understand there's not much difference in these two series.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to BN321

Premium Member

to BN321
Excellent choice for a Netgear.

The Linksys E series work very well also.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to BN321

to BN321
Isn't that router the one that has a Wireless speed of 300Mbps but the wired is only 100 Mbps.

If you have a lot of wireless device and not many wired then it is a great router.
If you use a lot of wired deives then you might want a 1000 Mbps switch.
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Sure looks like a Gigabit router to me
»www.netgear.com/home/pro ··· 700.aspx

Or were you referring to the fact that some of the Linksys E series are not Gigabit ?

ultra
@rr.com

ultra to BN321

Anon

to BN321
If you were a wireless customer before, you should be able to get a netgear n750 for 20 bucks from charter , just ask for the new world pricing and tell them your wanting to switch to the new d3 and standalone router

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Isn't that router the one that has a Wireless speed of 300Mbps but the wired is only 100 Mbps.

If you have a lot of wireless device and not many wired then it is a great router.

Not sure I'm reading that correctly, or, if I'm missing something, but what good is a 1000Mbps "switch" going to do if the router isn't capable of that speed?
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by cork1958:

said by mmainprize:

Not sure I'm reading that correctly, or, if I'm missing something, but what good is a 1000Mbps "switch" going to do if the router isn't capable of that speed?

There are a number of routers out there that have a 1GB internet access jack - most of the Netgears have them. Been running a 3700 for over a year that has 1GB jack for the modem

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

nightshade74 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
No it's all gigabit.
Small net builder says:

"Routing throughput running the latest 1.0.0.6 firmware measured in the low 400 Mbps range"

I've had the Wndr3700v2 for a few years. I dont like the new Genie firmware. However OpenWrt runs well on it.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to BN321

Premium Member

to BN321
I have been using the 3700 for two years and it has perform flawlessly. It is very customizable and works well with the Charter service. For the money it would be hard to find a better modem.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to BN321

to BN321
OK, i was mistaking, by looking at that spec sheet it is GBit.
I looked at some Netgear Routers at Walmart and i though i remembered the a N600 router as not having a GBit switch. Maybe it was the N300.