spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tenji
@qwest.net

Tenji

Anon

Got 40Mbps, but not syncing at full rate

I just got centurylink 40mbps and when I first connect it, the downstream was only 18800/2572 Kbps. Speedtest.net & Centurylink test show 17.3Mbps down and 2.3 up. I call tech support to check and suddenly the downstream is 30698/2572 Kbps. Speed test shows it as 28.8Mbps down and 2.3 up. Tech support don't know why my downstream isn't close to 40mbps sync rate. What could be the problem. What is other with 40Mbps getting for there sync rate. Below is my modem status.

Level Downs Up
SNR 6.3dB 6.0dB
Attenuation 15.2dB 7.4dB
Power 16.9dB 8.8dB
watmore
join:2007-07-27
La Pointe, WI

watmore

Your SNR is on the lower side. Do you have filters installed on any phones, alarm system, or other possible connection to a voice line using the same pair as your DSL?

If it is possible, connect your modem to where the line enters your house, the NID, and check your stats there to eliminate any household phone wiring issues as a cause for your low SNR.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Tenji

MVM

to Tenji
Looking at your signals, you will notice that all the DS levels are pale as compared to the upstream levels.

Check your other stats and let's see what they look like.

Since you just got your service installed, I would let it sit for a few days and see if things level out before jumping through a bunch of hoops.

If nothing changes, CL should come out and test your line at the NID and at other various points as well as your equipment since it is a new install.

Tenji
@qwest.net

Tenji

Anon

I check the NID box and it's the old type without any plug for the modem. So I couldn't connect it directly to it. It is located at the back of the house.

There was 1 dsl plug available in the room where the NID is on, which doesn't work. But there happen to be another one in the same room which I hook up the modem to it and at first it was getting 31188 then 35686 and now I am getting 36178/5120 Kbps.

Speedtest show it as 33.9 Mbps down and 4.65 Mbps up. The SNR is almost exactly the same though. There is no filter or any other device connect to any dsl jack.

@centurytel.net

guest to Tenji

Anon

to Tenji
Make sure your local Telco removes all bridge taps and tails on pair to home. Also have them install a house filter at the nid so you have a designated jack for modem and the dsl signal is not running over all the wires in the house. The last part of the loop is very critical for the dsl signal to be at it strongest for you to reach the highest possible package from central office without errors.

Thranxx
@qwest.net

Thranxx to Tenji

Anon

to Tenji
Just to help your sanity... I am getting 40/20 on my connection, and I speed test at 40/18 usually, and am able to fully load both ways with torrents, etc. So... don't give up! It is possible (and delightful).

Kermit
@qwest.net

Kermit

Anon

I also have a 40mb connection (supposedly)
My stats are
SNR
17.4 dB
21.0 dB
Attenuation

13.2 dB

6.6 dB
Power

17.0 dBm

7.9 dBm

and when I do the speed test, I am only at 3505 Kb down and 2452Kb up...
Any ideas why?

Tenji
@qwest.net

Tenji

Anon

@Kermit, I am assuming you mean kB/s for download and upload. Those translate to about 28Mbps down and 20Mbps up. What is the downstream showing on your modem page. If you are getting 28Mbps down, your downstream might be showing around 30000 Kbps. Try different dsl jack in the house.

What I found out is if I plug to the dsl jack furthers away from the NID box, I get 30000 kbps down and 2500 kbps up. This is on a 40Mbps and 5 Mbps connection, wish centurylink had the 40/20 around here. If I plug to the dsl jack closest to the NID, it will get 36000/5000. I don't think it can get better unless something is done to the dsl line.

Kermit
@qwest.net

Kermit

Anon

said by Tenji :

@Kermit, I am assuming you mean kB/s for download and upload. Those translate to about 28Mbps down and 20Mbps up. What is the downstream showing on your modem page. If you are getting 28Mbps down, your downstream might be showing around 30000 Kbps. Try different dsl jack in the house.

What I found out is if I plug to the dsl jack furthers away from the NID box, I get 30000 kbps down and 2500 kbps up. This is on a 40Mbps and 5 Mbps connection, wish centurylink had the 40/20 around here. If I plug to the dsl jack closest to the NID, it will get 36000/5000. I don't think it can get better unless something is done to the dsl line.

@tenji

Modem page shows 40.127/5.120 Mbps

Unfortunately I do not have another DSL jack in the house to try.
chmod755
join:2011-09-01
Hazelwood, MO
Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE
Ubiquiti U6-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Lite

chmod755

I had a similar issue with 40/5. Frequent disconnects/retrains and when it would retrain, it might only be at 25-30 Mbps. My SNR/attenuation numbers weren't great either, and this was with a homerun (cord straight to the NID outside the house) setup. My best guess is I am right at the edge of acceptable distance from the DSLAM.

I ended up downgrading to 20/5 about a year ago and it has worked wonderfully. Much more stable and line speeds are always exactly what they should be.

Tenji
@qwest.net

Tenji

Anon

I decide to call centurylink to check my wiring so I can get the full 40Mbps sync rate. They came today and say there was a alarm wiring interfering which is why I am only getting 30Mbps/2.5Mpbs sync rate at the living room jack.

They reroute the wiring and now I'm syncing at the full 40/5 Mbps in the living room. Speed test show me at 37.5 Mbps down and 4.6 up.

With the new wiring, now the jack in the bedroom doesn't work. The technician say he routed all the signal to the living room jack. Doe anyone know where it can be change if I decide to get it back to the bedroom. He first went to the basement and then outside to the NID box then back to the basement. I try looking in the basement where the wiring are and couldn't find the change he made including the NID box.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Tenji

to Tenji
Hey Tenji & Kermit, sorry to hear that you are both having speed concerns on your connections. IF you will both send us an email with your account & contact details, we can assist you with your concerns.

»bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team