spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net

New speeds coming

As you probably know by now, AT&T is going to start rolling out faster speeds in Dallas later this month as a testbed market for the newer speeds. Initially the faster speeds will come from pair bonding and later increases will come from line vectoring and increasing the frequency band to 17MHz. As part if the upgrade, we are phasing out iNIDs and using a newer RG being able to accepted 2 pairs. All new installs will be set up pair bonded so that if the customer ever decides to increase their speeds, they may do so without a tech visit. A tech visit will be required for upgrading to the higher speeds though. This new RG will now have 802.11N dual band and gigabit Ethernet. The lower 2.4Ghz will be used for your in home wifi while the 5Ghz band will be used for your wireless receivers. This eliminates the need for the WAP for the wireless receiver. The rollout will be needing many more technicians to make sure the secondary lines are where they are supposed to be and spliced properly. Be on the lookout for AT&T hirings around your area. The AT&T team here in California is looking for almost 500 new splicing techs and outside plant techs. Training all of these newbies will take some time and thus initial rollout will be slow but actively gain momentum in the coming months. We have got some great products to offer and we are very excited about the future!

jtmccoy

join:2004-03-25
Austin, TX

Any news for people with FTTP?

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to Fakarooz

You may or may not have this information but I figured I'd ask all the same:
1) Do you know the model of the new gateway?
2) Do you know if it will support proper bridging?

mmisek

join:2013-03-03
Cleburne, TX
reply to Fakarooz

said by Fakarooz :

The lower 2.4Ghz will be used for your in home wifi while the 5Ghz band will be used for your wireless receivers. This eliminates the need for the WAP for the wireless receiver.

Wait, you mean people won't plug the WAP into the ISB7005 anymore? This is the end of the world as we know it...
--
Tier II Advanced Tech Support, AT&T U-verse
Fort Worth, Texas

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Fakarooz

I caution anyone thinking about applying to ATT as a career. The Premise Tech Position is an absolutely Soul Crushing job and you have a life expectancy of about 9 months.

There is no rush to apply I can assure you as there are always job openings (RED FLAG). My garage was a training facility and minted Prem Techs 365 day/yr. Prem techs are hired and fired like nothing I have seen before. Your job after your "training" period is up is always in jeopardy, as you are barraged with impossible to attain goals working honestly.

If you feel like you want to attain this type of work, I would suggest you check out any smaller local contractor for a local cable company. Many will supply you with all of your tools, your truck, and train you.

I even received better benefits from the last contractor I worked for. I was eligible for healthcare in 3 months vs 6 months will ATT, and the deductible was lower.

I'm currently teaching middle school, so I've left the trade all together, but I think anybody reading this would be wise to heed my advice.

There are countless outlets for more detailed real life experiences working as a Prem tech on various forums, and I suggest you to check them out.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

1) Motorola NVG589
»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
This link indicted that Motorola NVG589 is coming to At&t Uverse

Pace 5168NV and 5111NV
Pace own 2Wire so its possible that Pace 5168NV is coming soon too. Pace 5111NV is for adsl2+ Uverse internet. Dont know if 5111NV will be release or not.

2) Well, imo, I dont think so :/ however you can put your router as DMZ+?
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

said by dragonman300:

Well, imo, I dont think so :/ however you can put your router as DMZ+?

That works for most people but if you have a block of IPs you need to pass through to your router, you're pretty much stuck. Hopefully it'll be the Motorola. They have a history of being "hackable".

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to Fakarooz

Wow thats funny because here in Illinois they have been laying off core workers for years.As far as the "tv" installers...aka premtechs
there is a 60% turnover rate.

DataRiker
Premium

said by tigerpaw509:

Wow thats funny because here in Illinois they have been laying off core workers for years.As far as the "tv" installers...aka premtechs
there is a 60% turnover rate.

Pretty much same here.

slswyoming

join:2012-10-01
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to DataRiker

Dear DataRiker,

I empathize with you and understand EXACTLY what you mean by "soul crushing". The heads and bean counters at AT&T deserve to be lined up to a wall and shot. They are screwing everyone but themselves and the stockholders - the customers and employees are taking the swordpoint of greed taken to insane elavations! But the competitors are doing the same. What to do?

1. Don't work for big companies, less benefits but more "humanity"
2. Shop for shortest contract possible with COMMS companies, and then switch often to get the incentive deals.
3. Post feedback publicly and often. Do reviews in popular places like google directories, facebook, twitter. That's were negative PR really hurts them. 10 tweets/day to AT&T will be seen by huge number of people. If it's reasonable, they can't stop you.

DarienRedSox

join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Fakarooz

Glad to see that there are speed updates coming, that seems to be the only thing my local cable co. can do better than AT&T. Wonder what pricing will be like and how CCs will react? As for the way AT&T treats there workers, not the best bet better than elsewhere, too bad SNET was bought up, herd nothing but good things form employes about the SNET days.

cwh

join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX
reply to dragonman300

Pace 5168NV and 5111NV
Pace own 2Wire so its possible that Pace 5168NV is coming soon too. Pace 5111NV is for adsl2+ Uverse internet. Dont know if 5111NV will be release or not.

My neighbor recently had uverse installed. I did not check the model number of his rg, but it looked quite similar to these.

dragonman300

Anaheim, CA

It is possible that your neighbor have 2Wire 3801. You can google it

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Fakarooz

If there wasn't a pair shortage before, there will be soon.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Reviews:
·Charter

The techs had a hard time in all the areas I was in, this is going to be a huge challenge due to the fact the pairs on the orders are computer generated and most second pairs were useless. I always toned my own, but the majority of techs will just jep (pass off) the jobs to IR. They are going to have to hire back a bunch of the IR techs they let go to accomplish this task.

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Fakarooz

new pairs coming, and they're still copper!

huge investment, and all for nothing! are we surprised? hardly, but it's still sad.

if they'll have to be replacing a lot of old pairs entirely (and now with everyone going double-pair, it certainly does sound like it), it's really so stupid to not be laying down fibre instead. for the interest of at&t's own customers and investors, i honestly very much hope that this trial fails miserably. it's not an upgrade.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to cwh

Re: New speeds coming

IPDSL- is using the Mot devices. IPDSL is called U-verse.

DataRiker
Premium

3 edits
reply to UverseTech

The last rumor I heard for our area, prem techs will be responsible for everything beyond the VRAD for the next contract, which is a few months away. It might all be BS, but that is what I'm hearing.

If that is the case, they will get half priced I&R labor.

Uversetech toning out your own pairs never works here (your area must have new cable) and is highly frowned on anyway because the jumpers and pair count don't get updated in FACS, so they eventually get pulled by another tech when they are assigned later.

And there are other obvious I&R complaints as well.

And unless ATT makes these above changes during the next contract, this is going to add hours to every install in this area.

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6
reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

said by dragonman300:

Well, imo, I dont think so :/ however you can put your router as DMZ+?

That works for most people but if you have a block of IPs you need to pass through to your router, you're pretty much stuck. Hopefully it'll be the Motorola. They have a history of being "hackable".

Actually, if you have the block of static IPs the Motorola NVG510 (ADSL2+) supports pass-through BEAUTIFULLY right out of the box, no hacking needed

/M

mackey

1 recommendation

reply to Fakarooz

Great! So the 1% of ATT users who can actually get this service will be able to get speeds *almost* as fast as the cable co's mid-range offering! I can't wait!!

</sarcasm>

With the number of people I've seen complaining that they can't get even a single pair service due to lack of ports, this "pair-bonded" version is gonna be dead before it even begins.

The only way this is gonna work out is if T spends a lot of money pulling new copper, and pulling copper is just stupid in this day and age.

/M

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

reply to mackey

said by mackey:

Actually, if you have the block of static IPs the Motorola NVG510 (ADSL2+) supports pass-through BEAUTIFULLY right out of the box, no hacking needed

/M

Yep. I know several people who have used that modem with a block of IPs with success. However, those of us on VDSL are still stuck up a tree with no solution (to my knowledge anyway).

mackey

reply to dragonman300

said by dragonman300:

said by doubleohwhat:

1) Motorola NVG589
»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
This link indicted that Motorola NVG589 is coming to At&t Uverse

It's clear the NVG589 is built for AT&T; the product photos and user manual have "AT&T" plastered all over them. It looks very much like the NVG510.

The OP claimed the new RG will have "dual band" 5GHz capability; the NVG589 does not have this however. None of the testing or other docs at the FCC site mention anything about operating in the 5 GHz band; they do however say it's 2x2 MIMO in the 2.4GHz B/G/N band.

Basic overview is:
Single and 2-pair bonded VDSL and ADSL2+ WAN
Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for FTTP/ONT installs
HPNA 3.1 coax port
4x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
2x FXS VoIP ports
1x USB 2.0
400 mW wireless radio

The posted NVG589 user manual makes no mention of the "Cascaded Router" or 1:1 NAT features the NVG510 is capable of, but I don't think the posted manual for the NVG510 had it listed either. It does seem to have the same "legendary" IP Passthrough options as the NVG510 though

/M

dragonman300

Anaheim, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Fakarooz

If anyone want to know what Motorola NVG589 look like??? Here are some pics
Credit to mackey.

--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

whocares256

join:2002-03-10
Anna, TX
reply to Fakarooz

Will they be expanding Uverse in Northern Collin County where it is an ATT area? North of McKinney?

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to dragonman300

Is that a USB 3 port I see? This will definitely increase the amount of tech support calls asking why the Wi-Fi is terrible XD.

fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net
reply to dragonman300

Yes the NVG589, this will be used on all installs where the customer orders fast enough internet service or needs pair bonding to achieve ordered speeds. The gateway seems to be finalized and as someone pointed out that it is not dual band. I guess they omitted that feature out. Like the 3800HGV-B and 3801HGV, this is ready to support line vectoring. As part of the rollout, pair bonding will be done only if there is a second pair available. You may see AT&T workers at pedestals around your neighborhood conditioing the pairs and making sure there are extra pairs available. Sometimes there are pairs dedicated to addresses that never existed.

45/6 is not the only speeds that you will be seeing. 45/6 is our initial speed launch and we will progressively add higher speeds including ones beyond 100mbps. Many if you think this will only be available to people who are close to the VRAD, but these speeds can be achieved at homes at least 1300-1500ft away. Speeds of at least 75mbps will be available to almost 90% of our FTTN customers.

fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Fakarooz

I found my spec sheet for the NVG 589. According to this there is 5Ghz and 2.4GHz dual band on this RG. Did they choose to omit this recently and my sheet is outdated?

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
kudos:2

»Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway

Whoo I was right .

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to Fakarooz

Comcast just doubled my speed,25/5 to 50/10 for free.Wondering if U's speed increase will be free?????

fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net

As for why AT&T is no longer using the Pace gateways and moving to Motorola has to do with Pace buying out 2wire. AT&T and other telcos around the world in a partnership helped create 2wire as an independant company. When the company got sold to Pace a while back, AT&T is no longer obliged to buy from Pace. Thus they can now shop around and look for better hardware offered.