join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to dlewis23

Re: New speeds coming

said by dlewis23:

I understand this is AT&T but why would they bump 18 Mbps up to 24 Mbps if they no longer off the 24 Mbps speed instead of just bumping them up to 30 Mbps to have less plans?

Also what about customers who are on 18 Mbps but unable to get 24 Mbps would it require a truck roll for pair bonding?

My guess it is has to do with pricing of the tiers on what is grandfathered.

Ghost0009000

@comcast.net

Any news for IP-DSL users?

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Kraygur

said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps
$xx - 60 Mbps/ 6 Mbps (future tier)
$xx - 75 Mbps/ 10 Mbps (future tier)

Now I know you may be wondering why there is nothing between 3mbps and 18mbps? well 3mbps will be used as retention/grandma/low usage users. Eliminating the middle tiers also forces customers to 18mbps even if they don't need it. We've counted our beans and this is the best way forward. We'll probably cover up this by stating that our customers want faster speeds so we got rid of the slow ones nobody wants except the 3mbps reserved for grandma.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually wondering how this is competitive. I'm in a Comcast market that's upgrading their speeds tomorrow. For $51 you'll get 25/4 and for $61 50/10. The new Blast tier beats Uverse's new tiers on both price and speed. As long as I'm getting half off for Uverse I don't mind, but I would never pay full price for these new tiers.

There's nothing the top exec's at at&t like more than increasing the ARPU. So 3 is overpriced and it jumps from there to 18. They could position themselves as real competitive on the lowend, but that would lower ARPU.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1

The bad part about it is, - at my house I can not get anything faster than the 3 Meg on that list [or grandfathered 6 Meg which I currently have.]

At the very least, I would need pair bonding for IP-DSL for the 18 Meg service.

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Fakarooz

Are the new Uverse DSL pricing and speeds the same as ATT DSL pricing and will be grandfathered in with ATT DSL? Thanks.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to AMDUSER

said by AMDUSER:

The bad part about it is, - at my house I can not get anything faster than the 3 Meg on that list [or grandfathered 6 Meg which I currently have.]

At the very least, I would need pair bonding for IP-DSL for the 18 Meg service.

Apparently pair bonding will be the new standard so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to Zoder

said by Zoder:

Thanks for the info. I'm actually wondering how this is competitive. I'm in a Comcast market that's upgrading their speeds tomorrow. For $51 you'll get 25/4 and for $61 50/10. The new Blast tier beats Uverse's new tiers on both price and speed. As long as I'm getting half off for Uverse I don't mind, but I would never pay full price for these new tiers.

There's nothing the top exec's at at&t like more than increasing the ARPU. So 3 is overpriced and it jumps from there to 18. They could position themselves as real competitive on the lowend, but that would lower ARPU.

You also forgetting that this is all pricing before any promotional rates that they will offer. So in reality it won't be this expensive.

Today the regular price of 24 mbit service is $66 so everybody calm down first before deciding to pick up your pitch fork

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

I'm curious to see what the business (cap free) plans and prices will be will be.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to Fakarooz

said by Zoder:

said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps
$xx - 60 Mbps/ 6 Mbps (future tier)
$xx - 75 Mbps/ 10 Mbps (future tier)

Now I know you may be wondering why there is nothing between 3mbps and 18mbps? well 3mbps will be used as retention/grandma/low usage users. Eliminating the middle tiers also forces customers to 18mbps even if they don't need it. We've counted our beans and this is the best way forward. We'll probably cover up this by stating that our customers want faster speeds so we got rid of the slow ones nobody wants except the 3mbps reserved for grandma.

Those prices would never hold up here, either. Our neighborhood became AT&T dominant around 2008-09 right after Uverse first came out.

Right after Blast! was upgraded to 50/10 earlier this month we ordered the BlastPlus package and little did I know all the neighbors in the circle followed the trend I set without even knowing it.
We went from every house in the circle having Uverse to 4 out of 7 having Comcast in just the past week. I have a feeling the majority of the neighborhood will follow in the next couple weeks.

The above was largely thanks to AT&T being very rigid on not giving out any deals to existing customers, and a door to door comcast salesman that came by (ironically just after we ordered service.)

Anyway, since Comcast (comcrap?) upped the ante AT&T has put some very enticing deals up on their site (of course only for new customers)
I think AT&T was just waiting for the cable company to make their move first before they finally start doing this rollout we've been hearing about for more then a year.

mcwhatl

join:2010-12-19
North Miami Beach, FL
reply to Kraygur

said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps

Wow, if these prices are accurate then I will switch to cable. In Atlanta, Xfinity Blast! pricing for 50/10 will be around $70/month + install. Why would anyone pay $86/month + install for 45/6 in a market served by Comcast?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by mcwhatl:

said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps

Wow, if these prices are accurate then I will switch to cable. In Atlanta, Xfinity Blast! pricing for 50/10 will be around $70/month + install. Why would anyone pay $86/month + install for 45/6 in a market served by Comcast?

I also get 23/4.5 without powerboost/download speeds up to 100 Mbps+ with powerboost quick bursts for $19.99 on Comcast on a promo. Not really worth going to AT&T with those prices, even with a promotion.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

That 45/6 is pretty much the same price as 100/5 on charter. 55 less download, 1 more upload. What a tough choice!

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

said by Metatron2008:

That 45/6 is pretty much the same price as 100/5 on charter. 55 less download, 1 more upload. What a tough choice!

The bean counters at AT&T smoke only the best weed. We've known that for a while.

One of the things they're banking on is communities like mine where they made a deal with the developer to be the only TV/Phone/Internet provider. A lot of the new communities around here have similar deals. The HOA gets a check from AT&T each month for every subscriber in the community. I imagine it's a pretty small check but it's apparently enough to have my HOA forbid Charter from ripping up the landscaping to install lines.

So I'll probably be paying whatever AT&T charges for the new plans whether it's a good deal or not.

mcwhatl

join:2010-12-19
North Miami Beach, FL
reply to GusHerb94

said by GusHerb94:

Those prices would never hold up here, either. Our neighborhood became AT&T dominant around 2008-09 right after Uverse first came out.

Right after Blast! was upgraded to 50/10 earlier this month we ordered the BlastPlus package and little did I know all the neighbors in the circle followed the trend I set without even knowing it.

I plan on waiting for AT&T to post the new pricing before making a change. I've not had any issues with Uverse service in over three years so I am not anxious to change providers. As I said in my prior post; however, I will not stay if these prices are accurate.

AT&T is making a mistake, in my view, if their pricing structure drives away folks in neighborhoods served by Comcast. Uverse has historically beaten Comcast on price (although not on speed). In my price range (~60/month), AT&T was competitive although Comcast had faster, more expensive tiers. It seems Comcast may have them beat now in the price range I am willing to pay.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

ATT will adjust their prices, I'm sure of that.

When you have an inferior product with equal or less customer service, you have to.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Hasn't stopped at&t in the past.

fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Fakarooz

Don't know who this "Kraygur" guy is, but there are no such plans as he has stated.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to mcwhatl

said by mcwhatl:

said by GusHerb94:

I plan on waiting for AT&T to post the new pricing before making a change. I've not had any issues with Uverse service in over three years so I am not anxious to change providers. As I said in my prior post; however, I will not stay if these prices are accurate.

AT&T is making a mistake, in my view, if their pricing structure drives away folks in neighborhoods served by Comcast. Uverse has historically beaten Comcast on price (although not on speed). In my price range (~60/month), AT&T was competitive although Comcast had faster, more expensive tiers. It seems Comcast may have them beat now in the price range I am willing to pay.

Currently U200, Max Turbo, and Voice Unlimited at the promo there offering is 130 a month, for 24 months. I think that includes a 1 or 2 year term. The comparable (starter XF triple play) package from Comcast is 99 the first year and 119 the second.
I guess I was wrong when I said they had lowered there promo prices to compete. (I don't count free devices and gift cards, that's all BS IMO)

86 for 45/6 would never win me back. Perhaps if they had some crazy good 1 yr promo, but then I'd be right back to Comcast after that. (exactly what I did this round, after I couldn't get them to give me a new promo price for internet)

FastAttack
Premium
join:2000-07-28
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

Let me get this straight
I am on single pair connection
currently have the 24/3 connection..
I am going be grandfathered into the 30/3 connection. But to take advantage I have to pay for a truck roll to get the upgrade???

that's insane.

Ok lets say I cave in, can I call now and get this pair bonding now or should I wait until the new gateway is out?

I am kinda getting to the point that as soon as my city gets rid of the mandatory cable and comcast comes in.. I am going to switch.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

said by FastAttack:

Let me get this straight
I am going be grandfathered into the 30/3 connection. But to take advantage I have to pay for a truck roll to get the upgrade???

FastAttack See Profile I don't think that is accurate. The gateway profiles on the single pair lines will increase to around 45Mbps. So going from 24 to 30 will not require a truck roll. It should just magically happen transparently. If you want to upgrade above that it will require a truck roll to install the pair bonded connection to a new RG.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Kraygur

6 tiers? Wow. Exact opposite strategy of Charter reducing options to only 2 tiers.

I'm a little disappointed the upload speed hasn't been upgraded on the 18 Mbps tier. It's the same as the current 12 Mbps tier: 1.5Mbps.

What is the current upload speed for the 18Mbps and 24Mbps tiers? I may update now if there is a price advantage.

FastAttack
Premium
join:2000-07-28
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to rolande

said by rolande:

said by FastAttack:

Let me get this straight

FastAttack See Profile I don't think that is accurate. The gateway profiles on the single pair lines will increase to around 45Mbps. So going from 24 to 30 will not require a truck roll. It should just magically happen transparently. If you want to upgrade above that it will require a truck roll to install the pair bonded connection to a new RG.

Well if memory serves right, if they gave me the 45 megabit profile then wouldn't getting closer to max sync rate cause more connection issues?
( Currently according to UV Real Time max sync is 57,658 which has degraded from 62,000 when I originally got UVERSE)

I am looking more at the upload speed which is 6 megabits for the higher tiers.. so 30/3 wouldn't cut it either..

so if I upgrade to the higher tiers then I am forced to pay them to do a truck roll?

still kinda crazy..

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA
reply to Kraygur

So they just cut out the 6mbps?

c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

and the 12 mbps

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA

I hope they don't downgrade me

dmtguy

join:2013-03-06
reply to Fakarooz

looks like timewarner is getting ready for 20 Mbps on the upload.

»Timewarner releases 50/20 mb Connection in San Antonio Texas

I wonder if uverse can match that.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

lol at uverse matching. The 30/4 charter tier is the same price as the 3/1 uverse and the 100/5 charter tier is the same price as the 45/6 uverse.

The only thing at&t matches in is price and caps.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06

Good thing AT&T U-verse still isn't capped.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Thats apparently ending soon.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06

Where is it apparent?