share rss forum feed

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Kraygur

Re: New speeds coming

6 tiers? Wow. Exact opposite strategy of Charter reducing options to only 2 tiers.

I'm a little disappointed the upload speed hasn't been upgraded on the 18 Mbps tier. It's the same as the current 12 Mbps tier: 1.5Mbps.

What is the current upload speed for the 18Mbps and 24Mbps tiers? I may update now if there is a price advantage.

FastAttack
Premium
join:2000-07-28
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to rolande

said by rolande:

said by FastAttack:

Let me get this straight
I am on single pair connection
currently have the 24/3 connection..
I am going be grandfathered into the 30/3 connection. But to take advantage I have to pay for a truck roll to get the upgrade???

FastAttack See Profile I don't think that is accurate. The gateway profiles on the single pair lines will increase to around 45Mbps. So going from 24 to 30 will not require a truck roll. It should just magically happen transparently. If you want to upgrade above that it will require a truck roll to install the pair bonded connection to a new RG.

Well if memory serves right, if they gave me the 45 megabit profile then wouldn't getting closer to max sync rate cause more connection issues?
( Currently according to UV Real Time max sync is 57,658 which has degraded from 62,000 when I originally got UVERSE)

I am looking more at the upload speed which is 6 megabits for the higher tiers.. so 30/3 wouldn't cut it either..

so if I upgrade to the higher tiers then I am forced to pay them to do a truck roll?

still kinda crazy..

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA
reply to Kraygur

So they just cut out the 6mbps?

c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

and the 12 mbps

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA

I hope they don't downgrade me

dmtguy

join:2013-03-06
reply to Fakarooz

looks like timewarner is getting ready for 20 Mbps on the upload.

»Timewarner releases 50/20 mb Connection in San Antonio Texas

I wonder if uverse can match that.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

lol at uverse matching. The 30/4 charter tier is the same price as the 3/1 uverse and the 100/5 charter tier is the same price as the 45/6 uverse.

The only thing at&t matches in is price and caps.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

Good thing AT&T U-verse still isn't capped.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Thats apparently ending soon.

WhyMe420
Premium

Where is it apparent?

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Fakarooz

Is ATT going to have new pricing and speeds for just regular DSL customers?

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Fakarooz

I can't blame At&t for the cost. They have to recoup the money spent on their expensive fiber deployments somehow... Oh wait....

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

said by silbaco:

I can't blame At&t for the cost. They have to recoup the money spent on their expensive fiber deployments executive bonuses somehow...

FTFY

WhyMe420
Premium
reply to Fakarooz

Well I do agree AT&T's getting more ridiculous with these new tiers and pair bonding. The only reason I'm sticking is the lack of caps. The second they turn on the caps, I'll probably be switching to Charter, even though they suck, especially since I can't even use my own modem.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to FastAttack

said by FastAttack:

Well if memory serves right, if they gave me the 45 megabit profile then wouldn't getting closer to max sync rate cause more connection issues?
( Currently according to UV Real Time max sync is 57,658 which has degraded from 62,000 when I originally got UVERSE)

I am looking more at the upload speed which is 6 megabits for the higher tiers.. so 30/3 wouldn't cut it either..

so if I upgrade to the higher tiers then I am forced to pay them to do a truck roll?

still kinda crazy..

You should be fine with that max synch rate. We all used to run at the bleeding edge synch rate on ADSL and did not really have issues. I ran at 6Meg for years without issues which was my max actual synch rate to the DSLAM. You will be physically synched at 57Meg with 12Meg of breathing room to your profile cap. I think you'll do just fine.

If you choose to upgrade to a higher tier that requires a truck roll, that is part of the install. I'm sure they will have options and promos to eliminate the up front install costs. Either way, they get their money to pay for it all in the end.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

WhyMe420
Premium

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
How do my stats look for upgrading my 24/3 to the 30/3? Does being Internet-only make a difference?

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to Fakarooz

I just have to chuckle when I read these price/speed rumors. If they are all true, then AT&T doesn't give a shit anymore (and is just doing the very least until they can sell off ALL of their wireline business). Either that or they think people really are that stupid (maybe they are?)

Paying for a truck roll to receive pair bonding and a higher speed is absurd. it's their already maxed out network that's the problem, so they should do these upgrades at their expense (not like you don't pay for it in the monthly service cost anyway)

In my neighborhood of 95 homes the closest block to the VRAD is at minimum 1,800 feet. (our home is 2,000) Average sync rate for the homes at this distance is 38-55 megs. If we all wanted to get a speed tier matching what cable is offering most of us would need pair bonding. As for the homes further away from the VRAD (the majority of this subdivision) they'd ALL need pair bonding and may even be SOL with it.

This to me is reality, what we are hearing rumored is not, IMO.

I really should stop reading about all this, and just forget about it and then see when things actually happen. Not worth getting worked up about until it's all solid.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to nephipower

said by nephipower:

You also forgetting that this is all pricing before any promotional rates that they will offer. So in reality it won't be this expensive.

Today the regular price of 24 mbit service is $66 so everybody calm down first before deciding to pick up your pitch fork

So are the Comcast prices I quoted. After your initial promo most customers pay the regular price unless they call in and threaten to cancel.

24 for $66 is no longer competitive.

These prices on the other hand would be:

$31 - 3 Mbps
$36 - 6 Mbps
$41 - 12 Mbps
$46 - 18 Mbps
$51 - 24 Mbps
$56 - 30 Mbps
$61 - 45 Mbps

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Frontier Communi..
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits

I would make it:(If I wanted to REALLY be competitive it would look something like this )
$30 - 3/1 Promo:$15
$40 - 12/1.5 Promo:$20
$45 - 24/3 Promo: $25
$50 - 30/- Promo:$30
$55 - 45/- Promo: $35
$70 - 75/- Promo: $50
$90 - 100/- Promo: $70

Add in rental fee costs.

Expand your moderator at work

fakarooz

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Fakarooz

Re: New speeds coming

THESE QUOTED SPEEDS AND PRICES ARE NOT CORRECT IN ANY WAY! WHOEVER THIS "KRAYGUR" PERSON IS, IS NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH CORRECT INFORMATION. THERE ARE NOT INTERNAL DOCUMENTS DEALING WITH SPEED UPGRADES NOR ARE THERE DOCUMENTS THAT STATE WHAT THE NEW SPEEDS ARE.

It is still too early for at&t to have the pricing ready and it takes several months before pricing is finalized, let alone the speeds that are going to be offered. As I have stated before, at&t is simply using Dallas as a TESTBED for the new back end equipment, CPE, and speed tiers. Though the network upgrades were planned for at least a year, it was only announced last Novemeber. In addition, there is no possible way for at&t to announce these new speeds "by the end of march" especially when our backend equipment suppliers haven't even started manufacturing the new line cards yet.

Please listen carefully to me: These initial speed upgrades will come at the earliest by the end of 2013 and not by the end this month. Over the next three years, WE WILL offer speeds up to 100 mbps.

Many of you believe that "at&t old copper lines are old, corroded, and can't handle faster speeds". I'm going to outline this for you how we will be able to offer speeds up to 100mbps in the future:
1. Vectoring- shows to be able to increase max rates at least 50%
2. Profile 17a- doubles the bandwidth available to your modem. With this comes more upload speeds and download speeds. Nearly doubles your upload speeds and increases download speeds by about 50% especially on short loops (1400ft)
3. Pair Bonding- when used with vectoring, it nearly doubles your max rate. With the new RG being able to pair bond, installations are simplified for technicians making the technology available to the masses

Using the three technologies stated above, anyone on the current 32Meg profile should see and be able to receive max sync speeds well above 100 mbps. People currently on the 25Meg profile will be able to see speeds Above 70mbps. These upgrades to our network is supposed to increase your max sync rates by 3-4x.

I can't speak on behalf of the ADSL2+ based customers and have no information regarding them.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sheesh! I am not a "salesman" for any ISP, but just in case things had improved from when I left AT&T dsl for Comcast cable, I gave 'em a call, since we now have Uverse Internet available.

Best I could get here is max at 12/1.5, comparable price wise with what I pay Comcast for a 20/4 tier (and for a very small increase, I could get 50/10).

Worse still, they quoted me $199.99 for initial install and equipment! With Comcast I did a self-install, with a very minimal "set-up" fee.

That is one tough sell in an area with choices available.

I can buy that perhaps the speed increases and corresponding prices may not yet be set in stone, but I suspect the afore-quoted prices aren't far off, either.
--
Deeds, not words

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fakarooz

Sheesh! I am not a "salesman" for any ISP, but just in case things had improved from when I left AT&T dsl for Comcast cable, I gave 'em a call, since we now have Uverse Internet available.

Best I could get here is max at 12/1.5, comparable price wise with what I pay Comcast for a 20/4 tier (and for a very small increase, I could get 50/10).

Worse still, they quoted me $199.99 for initial install and equipment! With Comcast I did a self-install, with a very minimal "set-up" fee.

That is one tough sell in an area with choices available.

I can buy that perhaps the speed increases and corresponding prices may not yet be set in stone, but I suspect the afore-quoted prices aren't far off, either.
--
Deeds, not words

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to fakarooz

said by fakarooz :

THESE QUOTED SPEEDS AND PRICES ARE NOT CORRECT IN ANY WAY! WHOEVER THIS "KRAYGUR" PERSON IS, IS NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH CORRECT INFORMATION. THERE ARE NOT INTERNAL DOCUMENTS DEALING WITH SPEED UPGRADES NOR ARE THERE DOCUMENTS THAT STATE WHAT THE NEW SPEEDS ARE.

It is still too early for at&t to have the pricing ready and it takes several months before pricing is finalized, let alone the speeds that are going to be offered. As I have stated before, at&t is simply using Dallas as a TESTBED for the new back end equipment, CPE, and speed tiers. Though the network upgrades were planned for at least a year, it was only announced last Novemeber. In addition, there is no possible way for at&t to announce these new speeds "by the end of march" especially when our backend equipment suppliers haven't even started manufacturing the new line cards yet.

Please listen carefully to me: These initial speed upgrades will come at the earliest by the end of 2013 and not by the end this month. Over the next three years, WE WILL offer speeds up to 100 mbps.

Many of you believe that "at&t old copper lines are old, corroded, and can't handle faster speeds". I'm going to outline this for you how we will be able to offer speeds up to 100mbps in the future:
1. Vectoring- shows to be able to increase max rates at least 50%
2. Profile 17a- doubles the bandwidth available to your modem. With this comes more upload speeds and download speeds. Nearly doubles your upload speeds and increases download speeds by about 50% especially on short loops (1400ft)
3. Pair Bonding- when used with vectoring, it nearly doubles your max rate. With the new RG being able to pair bond, installations are simplified for technicians making the technology available to the masses

Using the three technologies stated above, anyone on the current 32Meg profile should see and be able to receive max sync speeds well above 100 mbps. People currently on the 25Meg profile will be able to see speeds Above 70mbps. These upgrades to our network is supposed to increase your max sync rates by 3-4x.

I can't speak on behalf of the ADSL2+ based customers and have no information regarding them.

No offense, but you guys have been giving the same ol' song and dance for years now. I would bet anything right now at the end of 2013 you still have the same speeds.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
reply to fakarooz

said by fakarooz :

Please listen carefully to me: These initial speed upgrades will come at the earliest by the end of 2013 and not by the end this month.

So it's settled, no uverse upgrade until the end of the year.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

said by etaadmin:

said by fakarooz :

Please listen carefully to me: These initial speed upgrades will come at the earliest by the end of 2013 and not by the end this month.

And at the end of 2013, the date will be moved to sometime in 2014. Just like how these 'speed upgrades' have been rumored since what was it? 2010? 2011?

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

said by Metatron2008:

said by etaadmin:

said by fakarooz :

And at the end of 2013, the date will be moved to sometime in 2014. Just like how these 'speed upgrades' have been rumored since what was it? 2010? 2011?

Yeah, while typing it felt like Déjà vu

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to etaadmin

eteadmin since you are in the Dallas area, it is likely you will see availability of these speeds over the next few months. Dallas is the testbed for this upgrade. It is the rest of the market that will be waiting indefinitely on some undisclosed timeline.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net

I'll test it, you name it, 30, 45, 60 it doesn't matter

I'd rather go with the 75/10 though

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

I know trying to decipher AT&T logic is futile but if the speed increases aren't coming out until the end of the year, how can they think it was a good idea to raise prices last month? As of yesterday, for $51 outside of promotion or retention offer, you can get Comcast in Miami at 24 mbps or AT&T at 12 mbps. Do they count on people hating the cable company that much?