Search similar:

uniqs
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM

Re: new speeds only more than 100× slower than the competi

You forget to mention that Paxio doesn't service everyone. it's select HOAs/"communities".

Also don't count on Sonic doing anything major. They're only building in select areas and have teamed up with DSLX. The next thing I see is Ikano buying them out as well. Plus Sonic refuses to take on debt and investors so money is going to be super tight with them building out.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

Paxio does have the cabling in place;
they could probably wire down your whole neighbourhood...

Non-sequitur. They do not have fiber run to my neighborhood, no less my particular house, so the cabling is not in place. The "last mile" is the hard bit and the most expensive to build out, which is why the vast majority of consumers don't have FTTH.

Don't get my wrong, I'd love to have FTTH available here, but talk is cheap. When I see actual fiber runs then I'll get interested.

Mr Anon
@k12.il.us

Mr Anon to Fakarooz

Anon

to Fakarooz

Re: New speeds coming

I'll be excited when I see it.

What I want to know/see is a reduction in price of current tiers, they are too pricey as they are. I'd like to move up but the price is too high. As it is on a retiree's account I'm not able to get promotional pricing which is somewhat less but there are other benefits.

BillP
@sbcglobal.net

BillP to Wily_One

Anon

to Wily_One

I have Fiber to my house for UVerse. But I'm in the greater Austin, TX region, and they still only offer 18Mbps service. I had 24Mbps at my old home in California over copper. Go figure!

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

SomeJoe7777 to DataRiker

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

I don't mean to nitpick but from what I understand this will be a new profile correct?

Which means the new internet speed will probably be close to 35/4

I believe the 45/6 may be the Internet speed.

I have two routers in the UV Realtime database that are on 55/6 combined line profiles (27/3 per line). These are iNIDs, so this may have been from a test of the line profiles and firmware prior to a test of new hardware.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

Ok I see.

That is curious, I've installed a lot of iNIDS and max attainable was usually way lower than 55. ( some barely making 25 combined )

Flip side being I've installed a lot of single pair with max attainable around 40+
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by DataRiker:

Ok I see.

That is curious, I've installed a lot of iNIDS and max attainable was usually way lower than 55. ( some barely making 25 combined )

Flip side being I've installed a lot of single pair with max attainable around 40+

I am on a single pair and my sync is around 63 MB down max.. I would love a little more speed than AT&T currently offers!

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to BillP

Premium Member

to BillP
said by BillP :

I have Fiber to my house for UVerse. But I'm in the greater Austin, TX region, and they still only offer 18Mbps service. I had 24Mbps at my old home in California over copper. Go figure!

That is odd. Then again I never said the ideal would be FTTH from AT&T.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by Wily_One:

That is odd.

Nope. That's just what FTTH customers are stuck with.

As it stands now (not taking future "possible" changes into account), you DO NOT want FTTH from AT&T. You'll be stuck on a lower profile than the VDSL folks.

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz to SomeJoe7777

Anon

to SomeJoe7777
Yup new profile 55meg. Don't know where you got the up speed from but it's 10mbps up. 55/10meg profile with 45/6mbps customer offering.

New profile will need around 69mbps max sync to support the 55meg profile though.

4/24 UV RSA
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

fakarooz any word if AT&T is planning on doing anything for FTTH customers?
bplein
join:2013-03-14
Leander, TX

bplein to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
said by doubleohwhat:

Nope. That's just what FTTH customers are stuck with.

As it stands now (not taking future "possible" changes into account), you DO NOT want FTTH from AT&T. You'll be stuck on a lower profile than the VDSL folks.

Can someone explain why they cap FTTH/FTTP at 18 while allowing copper to go to 24? Seriously thinking of trying a cable provider, but with my luck, I'd end up capped or dealing with other issues. AT&T has been pretty good for me, technically, with the only exception being flaky RGs (needed to reboot periodically to resume voice lines that fail) and their abysmal customer support phone people.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

ATT has more restrictive caps than the Cable providers in my area.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to bplein

to bplein
said by bplein:

Can someone explain why they cap FTTH/FTTP at 18 while allowing copper to go to 24?

Because their copper can only do something like 30/5, but FTTP/FTTH/FTTU is easily capable of 80/40 even without any hardware upgrades.

They artificially restrict the fibre, so that they don't have to upgrade the copper, and then because so few people have fibre from at&t in the first place, they simply outright forgetting the fibre when introducing new copper profiles.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to bplein

Anon

to bplein
said by bplein:

Can someone explain why they cap FTTH/FTTP at 18 while allowing copper to go to 24? Seriously thinking of trying a cable provider, but with my luck, I'd end up capped or dealing with other issues. AT&T has been pretty good for me, technically, with the only exception being flaky RGs (needed to reboot periodically to resume voice lines that fail) and their abysmal customer support phone people.

This was discussed at length in the thread below:

»AT&T U-verse FTTP speeds, why do they limit fibre to 18/1.5?
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
U-verse (VDSL/Fiber) is virtually uncapped at the moment.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to DataRiker

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

That is a half-truth. AT&T may have a theoretical cap at 250 GB but there has never been one report of a single person here for Uverse service to be charged any overage fees.

That is because Uverse is not tracking usage for customers yet.

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz to nephipower

Anon

to nephipower
The reason behind why FTTP customers cannot subscribe to speeds higher than 18/1.5 is due to the backend hardware that support FTTP. It was designed to fit the original 25meg profile by having support of up to 30mbps max sync rate. Even though your ONTs are more than capable to handle much higher bandwidths, the back end equipment needs to be updated to support higher profiles. I am not completely sure when this will happen, but I'm guessing that it will happen after initial roll out of the new speed tiers.

AnonInSE
@sbcglobal.net

AnonInSE to Fakarooz

Anon

to Fakarooz

Re: New speeds coming

I've had Uverse for two years & am apparently 100 yards too far from the Vrad (three houses up from me have perfect service, mine works great in the winter, bounces constantly in warmer months) - is there any chance this update in technology may help me with my trouble?

I've had about 50 visits from techs over the course of the first summer of my installation, the ultimate diagnosis is that as the lines heat up & expand/contract it introduces noise in the line which kills the sync between my inid & the vrad.

DataRiker
Premium Member

1 edit

DataRiker to nephipower

Premium Member

to nephipower

said by nephipower:

said by DataRiker:

That is because Uverse is not tracking usage for customers yet.

Technical difficulties have kept it from enforcement. I wouldn't depend on this for much longer.
Expand your moderator at work
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to fakarooz

to fakarooz

fakarooz thank you for the clarification about FTTP.

So for those who will be able to get the faster speeds with the new pair connections will video be delivered at higher bitrates for those individuals?

So perhaps they can get higher quality HD video.

DataRiker
Premium Member

4 edits

DataRiker to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
I used to install uverse and we were told enforcement was coming. All other unofficial info we got turned out to be credible, don't see why this one will be any different.

Anybody who is involved on the Uverse side can tell you the whole operation is a cluster fuck.

A big priority and a lot of faith is being put into the new universal RG. Once that is standard, I promise you the meter will be back.

Ask our corporate friend "fakarooz" if his corporate line is any different than what the techs have been hearing. Bet its not.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

We've heard talk about caps since 2009. Now it's 2013 and we're hearing the same thing: "it's just around the corner."

When it finally happens, then we can talk about it.

DataRiker
Premium Member

2 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

Caps were first announced in May 2011, and were not scheduled to begin until 2012 *IF* I remember correctly.

Your implying this was just some unsubstantiated rumor.

It has already been applied to the ADSL side, with overages. Its not a question of if but when for the Uverse side.

Mario100
@sbcglobal.net

Mario100

Anon

Your Right. The time is correct

Uverse Newbi
@sbcglobal.net

Uverse Newbi to DataRiker

Anon

to DataRiker
question how would the new speeds be implemented to those on single pairs?

hell my single pair sync rate is over 59k+Kbps

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
Now we're going to argue timeline? Search this forum - talk of caps coming started in 2009. I'm not going to do your homework for you.

I'll worry about it when it actually happens to me on my account. Forum posts I don't worry about.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to Uverse Newbi

to Uverse Newbi
said by Uverse Newbi :

question how would the new speeds be implemented to those on single pairs?

From what I understand, a second pair would be setup. Apparently the max syn required for the new tier is 69mbps.

Very few (if any) people will have lines with a max sync that is both higher than that and stable. It also makes sense to go ahead and switch everyone over to two pairs whenever there's a truck roll. That way you'll be good to go in the future when another tier is announced.