share rss forum feed

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Silverlight plugin crashes.

First, I already have a thread here: »StarzPlay Silverlight plugin crashing

I started it on my ISP's board because at first I thought it was a issue with Starz Play, but since it works on my laptop, the edvidence shows its something specific with my desktop. See my orginal thread for details, but long story short, every time I try to watch a movie on »www.starzplay.com/ my Silverlight plugin crashes. I have tried multiple browsers, multiple versions of Silverlight, uninstalled my AV, made sure GPU drivers are up to day, adjusted IE security settings, set security exceptions in both flash and Silverlight, etc.

Has anyone seen this crash before with Silverlight?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: chrome.exe
Application Version: 25.0.1364.160
Application Timestamp: 5138d9ef
Fault Module Name: coreclr.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.1.10411.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f8514cf
Exception Code: 8013150a
Exception Offset: 000475eb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1025
Additional Information 2: 1025cb7d6d942a282b1fe9a200e245cf
Additional Information 3: 1eb2
Additional Information 4: 1eb25ea01d3cb1bbae2b9563d402be3c

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Is your comp fully updated via WU ? Update if not. Try creating another user logon and see if the same error occurs. Also, is that the only site where Silverlight crashes?

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2012/13

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Fully updated. Also only site it crashes on. Silverlight works on Netflix and several Silverlight test sites. New User is a good idea, I will try that when I get off work and report back.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to Cudni

I created a test user account and got the same result. Im going to make a Linux boot CD and try that. Though that is changing the OS and the drivers right? Since the boot CD will use system default drivers I think. Atleast that will rule out a mechanical issue.

Any other suggestions? Could it be a .NET distro problem? Also, any idea why I would get a Popup asking me to run Flash on a site using Silverlight? It almost seems they are trying to run Silverlight inside a Flash App, which seems problematic if not broken.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to Optimus2357

It could .Net issue too. Not sure about the flash popup as I'm not in US to access the site.

Cudni

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Your not missing much.

Thanks for your help though. I think I will wait until I get my new GPU (Asus 7950 V2) and see if the new drivers Fix it. If not...well then I think it will just unsolved. Not touching my .net distro...I finally got Pidgin to work correctly with my plugins for it.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to Optimus2357

Installed my HD7950, clean driver install, and problem still exists, so it isn't a GPU driver issue. Any other ideas?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

in chrome do:

about:plugins

scroll down and list what version of silverlight plug-in it thinks you have.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

There is a new version of Silverlight out, which you can either get directly from the Silverlight download page

»www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Or from Windows Update.

The old version was 5.1.10411.0, and the install has a digital signature time stamp of Wednesday, April 11, 2012.

The new version is 5.1.20125.0, and the install has a digital signature time stamp of Friday, January 25, 2013.

If you are not running that version, you may want to upgrade your version of Silverlight and see if that fixes your problem.

You can see what version you are running by looking at your plug-in information. Picture above shows that I'm running the new version.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m
Silverlight - Version: 5.1.20125.0
MSIE 10.0.9200.16521 (Recent updated, problem existed on MSIE9 too)

I uninstalled using the Silverlight.diagcab as per Microsoft's support site, and then installed using your link, problem remained. I then decided to let the diagcab both uninstall and install that way it would diagnose the install, problem remained. And just to be clear, I have tried:

Uninstalling AV
New GPU
All MS updates
All browsers and plugins up to date.
Other Silverlight works (IE Netflix)
Effects all browsers on PC
Works fine on laptop. (Same OS)
Has never work on desktop.

Is there anyway to dig deeper into the logs to find out exactly what is causing the crash? My next step is a Linux bootCD, but I think that will work fine, and not really help tell me where the problem is. My gut is telling me its something to do with the DRM mechanism Silverlight uses and how its passing that info through Flash which another part of the site uses. Has anyone heard of anything like that before?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

Well I was hoping to see an older silverlight version there

Any chance you have netflix? If you do does it crash on netflix as well?

One thing I would do (and I'm sure you have tried but worth a try again) goto chrome://settings/ click advanced Click content settings, click all cookies and site data, and search for Starz and delete all those cookies, then search for you cable/sat providers name and clear all those cookies.

Then right click on any silverlight plugin and choose "Silverlight" then click the "Application Storage" tab and clear all those.

Worth a try anyway, good luck!

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Optimus2357

said by Optimus2357:

Is there anyway to dig deeper into the logs to find out exactly what is causing the crash?

I'm not sure what logs exist, but you can try installing a free version of visual studio (either 2010 or 2012) and try to use that for debugging. It has a somewhat (?!) steep learning curve, however.

BTW, I tried to watch something on that site -- it forced me to install a newer version of Silverlight, but afterwards, I was able to watch some trailers. (WinXP & Firefox/Chrome)

I have a feeling that Silverlight relies heavily on .Net components, and they could be screwed up.

Personally, if not too much of a hassle, I'd just do a clean install of Windoze.

BTW, what is "OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48"? Vista or 7?
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

said by aurgathor:

I have a feeling that Silverlight relies heavily on .Net components, and they could be screwed up.

BTW, what is "OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48"? Vista or 7?

Yea, thats what I was afraid of. I always seem to have issues with .net Frame work eventually. I don't know if its packages being installed along with some of the open source software I use or that I have this craving to keep my PC constantly up to date and some of those .net updates are buggy. I guess I will throw in the towel. I really don't even watch the site that much, it was just the fact I couldn't get it to work. Was bugging me.

To answer your other question, I have Windows 7. I would never let Vista touch my system. And I could reinstall, I was thinking about that, but I try to minimize the reads/writes since I have a SSD.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Case closed.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

If only Microsoft didn't 'bake' .NET Framework into Windows starting with Vista. Never installed it on my XP SP3 machines and they run a bit quicker without it.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to Optimus2357

If it is a .NET Framework issue, you could always give this tool a try: »www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=30135