uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

4 edits

haroldo to nu2this

to nu2this

Re: Favorite OS for Mac?

Everyone longs for the good old days, but no matter what aspect you're looking at, each upgrade adds ten wonderful improvements for each disappointing feature (or something that decreases functionality).
I try to learn about each new version and always read the "200+ new features in ___ (fill in the name of the OS)" before each upgrade.
At least 3/4 of the features don't affect me, so I can't assess whether they have improved things, or not.
Of the feature that do, I try to check out each new feature (figuring that if they added it, it must be something worthwhile). In some instances, I don't like it initially (like all of us, the first day using natural scrolling was a PITA) but learned to really like (love) it a lot. In other cases I thought something was silly or not needed (Mission Control, the Safari Reader button and Reading List) but after a period of time realize I use it all the time and really like it. There were others that I didn't appreciate the improvement until I used it (the ubiquitous share button) and now use it all the time (especially from within Finder). Of course, there are things I have no use for (Launch Pad) so I just ignore it (and hide the icon).
The negatives (or frustration) that have popped up at upgrade typically are long forgotten within a week or two. I can't think of one thing that was better nor easier (from earlier systems), nor do I find myself complaining about the design (look and feel, etc.)
There have been so many changes and improvements that I can't remember what was added nor when. I know that it's nearly impossible (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration) to use an older machine. For anyone longing for the good old days, just try using a Mac with an earlier OS (than the one you're using) and see how frustrating or difficult it is.
But if you truly long for an earlier system, you can always reformat and install the older OS (or buy an older machine, there's no shortage of them on eBay).
Has anyone rolled back? If not, why not?

nu2this
NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this

Premium Member

I rolled back on my laptop. Runs great.

I am not suggesting everyone rollback. The speeds and 64 b vs 32 b are nice. But the little things... Annoying. And why limit apps? Remember iMovie got limited and QuickTime player 7 vs 10. We could do more things out of the box back then.