join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

On a PC at 1080 x 1920, how long is your HDMI cable?

I'm setting up a Windows 7 Pro server, and am thinking of running an HDMI cable across nearly 75'. Has anyone been able to run a 1080P cable that long, are there suggestions about any cable that could run a PC at full 1080 x 1920 60Hz at 75' or 100'? I'm concerned about the length of the run, but it would be nice to pull my PC up on a screen in a remote area.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

AzDragonLord

join:2003-10-21
Florence, AZ

I've heard anything over 25' causes signal problems without some type of "booster".
--
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2

That's my concern, 25' wouldn't be long enough. Wireless HDMI has very mixed reviews and seems expensive. Maybe remote desktop.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Remote Desktop is a nice solution, I just get annoyed that it doesn't allow you to see the screen of the actual console. It starts another user process in the background.

To see the actual console screen, something like the FREE and easy-to-use Team Viewer is useful. Just set it up on the server to always start with Windows.

UltraVNC is another free remote access app, but it doesn't display the screen quite as nicely as Remote Desktop or Team Viewer.

hrz

join:2007-12-01
Utica, MI
reply to pandora

Try a "RedMere" HDMI.

www.redmere.com

Irish company. There are Rosewill items on NewEgg.com
and (maybe?) some choices on monoprice.com.

The RedMere "active HDMI" w/chip-in-the-cable-end
concept is similar to the "active USB" concept. (While not
HDMI, I did purchase a 65-foot "active USB" from NewEgg
a short while back. Around $10 I think.) --- Good Luck!

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to pandora

I'm presently using a 45' HDMI Cable from Monoprice and it works fine... to a cheapie TV at 1920x1080/29.97, but it doesn't work until I cross convert it to 720p/59.94 on my Mits 73640 DLP.. In my case it's a Mits Issue... as the same 45' HDMI cable on a 1080p Scan converter works fine from my wife's laptop....

At work once I had to use a 60' cable, and it worked.... Just make sure you get a good cable from reputable dealer.... If you know you're pushing the limits of cable length, get a good cable...

I've been very happy with Monoprice.... and their prices are reasonable....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to pandora

75' ??

Here's what I'd do....

Get 2 40' cables... and buy a HDMI DA.... Put the HDMI DA 40' away..... and use that DA as a 'repeater'.....

This way.... you're not excessively extending the signal prior to the DA, and after.....

Makes sense??

One last thing... It would be advisable that the AC at both ends of the systems (or 3 --- the HDMI DA) be on same side of the panel...and properly grounded.

In my case I am not encountering any HUM on Audio or Video on this long HDMI interconnect (Between two different rooms)....
In my case, the HDMI output is being used for HD Video Presentation, so Video and Audio Hum would be un-acceptable....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to pandora

Use an Optical HDMI cable for runs over 25'

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to pandora

I seen fiber optic HDMI cables, with something like that you wouldn't have any reasonable distance limits.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to pandora

This is where HDBaseT would show it's benefits if it were widely available.