bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jasmo34

Re: Usage - overages

said by jasmo34:

But, if it's Tuesday, the customer can go over their cap until they reach the level of a shronk. But if they keep using more, and they end up with a royal fizzbin, they get an extra 200GB usage 17 months from now, if it's not dark out!

Somebody watched too much Star Trek TOS.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

Instead of paying $70.74, you'd be automatically upgraded to unlimited plan @ $69.99

Does this make sense?

Martin

My 2 cents (sorry if this has already been covered... I didn't read the whole thread) is that you would "upgrade" that person for the month but not indefinitely. A more clear way to say it would be to say total monthly bill will never exceed $69.99.

Case in point. This month I'm going over the 300 GB and only intended to for this month and maybe next (I'm seeding a backup). Once complete my usage will return to normal. I did the right thing and upgraded my package. Backups almost done so tonight I'm downgrading it in time for end of cycle billing. It's a pain but it's what you gotta do. I'd hate to be permenantly pushed into unlimited just because I was over for 2 months. Would have be more convenient to just be billed the overage and be done with it.

I understand what you are trying to do with the rolling averages etc. I would suggest instead for simplicity you just forgive the first 20 GB or so of overage. Then charge .25 / GB above the 320 GB up until 69.99. Put a note in the bill "Don't you love TSI we forgave usage on the first 20 GB of overage you used this month".

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
haha. good idea. just might do someting like that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Seems like we're basically looking at this:

For Bell, Aliant, Shaw, Telus

Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.25/GB to a maximum of $25/month.

For Rogers, Videotron and Cogeco

Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.50/GB with a maximum of $50.

(except for speeds 60 and above that may need a higher max or maybe even unlimited [overusage charge, IOW no max] )

Not perfect, but SIMPLE !

Easy to explain, and easy to remember.

And still MUCH more reasonable than WHATEVER the incumbents are taking with their UBBean-counting departments.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
yeah. if we do it where if you go over by a bit.. less than 20gig.. the two month rolling average thing just becomes complicated for no reason too.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to Davesnothere
Thats a decent iDea for maximum usage amounts Just Make them Match Unlimited tiers Prices since In almost all cases Unlimited is a Hefty Chunk more than 300gb
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

ah well. a day well spent.. *shrug*

Another day, another 97 cents US....

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
..and that's the way the cookie crumbles!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
well. I'm gonna go try and catch some shut eye.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to TSI Marc
Marc, you will lose customers to complexity. I barely understand what you're talking about. Keep it simple.

- Maintain current price and cap tier structure as planned
- Maintain current overage charge per GB ($0.50)
- Maintain current 2-8AM no-charge period
- Maintain 25$ max overage for all limited tiers (exceptions detailed below)
- DO NOT go with a % based scheme

- DO NOT go with an arbitrary "penalty" type scheme

The reasons for this last are many. But the main reason is that Teksavvy is known for its habit of rewarding its customers with promotions and price drops and service quality and value improvements and friendly customer service and basically fair dealings with all its customers regardless of tier or service, not for penalizing them.

- A more fair alternative below.

You could offer a simple upgrade program tied to MyWorld where the customer can be notified automatically by email or even on the bill itself. This upgrade program could offer an either-or choice to the customer:

- Either pay the overage as stated on the bill and stay on same tier
or
- Upgrade to any tier above within the same tier speed at the price of the overage fee if more than upgrade fee, i.e. from DSL6/75 to DSL6/300 for example

The main advantage of this upgrade program is that it is naturally self-adjusting, as customers will tend to upgrade once they realize the benefits of doing so, i.e. paying more for the overage than what's included in the next tier above, and basically getting a free upgrade to a tier above within the same speed tier if their overage for this month is higher than the regular upgrade fee.

- 25$ max overage charge

For tiers where the difference between lowest-unlim is higher than 25$, like QC/cable30 it's 33$, the overage scheme can be adjusted to account for those differences, and cap the max at those differences. Detail:

Max overage charge is:
- 25$, if diff between unlim and lowest tier prices is equal to or less than 25$
or
- Equal to difference between unlim and lowest, if difference is greater than 25$ (example as above with QC/cable30 = 33$)

There's no arbitrary "penalty" scheme with my suggestions above. It's the simplest I can do. It maintains pricing/overage/scheme as close to current as possible while taking into account those absurd cable prices. It maintains an absolute cap on the overage charges, though for some services the max overage is higher accordingly.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.25/GB to a maximum of $25/month.

Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.50/GB with a maximum of $50.

except for speeds 60 and above that may need a higher max or maybe even unlimited.

Much better! +1 for this....I'd like to think I helped influence you

Anyway, the last thing I'd comment is the grouping of Rogers, Videotron, and Cogeco. Especially having Cogeco and Rogers in the same group (and therefore same cost per GB over and max charge) doesn't make sense to me given how different your capacity costs are across those networks. Cogeco should be on its own tier while Rogers at least (and possibly tied with Videotron too if close enough to Rogers, can't remember the rate atm) should be in its own tier. Should allow you to charge 40c/GB lets say for Rogers but still $50 max cap.

And trust me, even having a $50 cap vs $100 cap makes a HUGE difference in terms of TSI vs the incumbents. Given your post that I quoted, I am hopeful in the approach you now seem to be taking
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

phreshive

join:2013-02-20
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
Glad I cancelled my transfer from Videotron and ended up going with Acanac instead.

The rate range formula for the 20 Mbps package I was initially looking at went from $34.95-$59.95 to $44.95-$94.95.

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought costs for Videotron went up 10% yet consumer pricing could potentially go up as high as 58% under this scenario.

Seems like this CRTC ruling will work out in TSI's favor quite nicely if clients don't gauge their usage appropriately.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

....And trust me, even having a $50 cap vs $100 cap makes a HUGE difference in terms of TSI vs the incumbents....

....or compared to having NO Max Cap on GOUGEco's overages on some of their plans.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Marc
For sake of completeness.. I'll just add this to better show what I was originally talking about. So we can try to reference it to compare with a straight up per gig with a max..

The rates and ranges in there are not arbitrary.. they are based on ratios related to each usage plan.. the goal was to tailor each plan with its own set of fair overages *if* you went over your usage cap allowed. None of this would have applied if you stayed within your usage allowance or if you were on unlimited...

The rates are relatively high because the Cogeco rates are that way. It may make sense to do another of these with Bell or even Telus rates. Just to show what happens in each case.

again.. not trying to actually do this but I am trying to find a way to do something similar with a straight up per gig and max overage system in order to keep it simple.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON
I have teksavvy cable, 18/05 andI think its a better idea if you stuck with the rolling averages over 2 months. Set the maximum overage at the same price as the unlimited price in the same tier. Anything inbetween the cap and the maximum charge a set rate. Also there should be a monitoring program available to customers and automatic email messages when bandwidth usage has crossed the 80% threshold. I remember bell had that system back when I was with them.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by blaznazn224:

I have teksavvy cable, 18/05 andI think its a better idea if you stuck with the rolling averages over 2 months. Set the maximum overage at the same price as the unlimited price in the same tier.

The problem with limiting overage to the difference with unlimited price is it removes any reason to sign up for unlimited in the first place. No point in signing for unlimited if all it does is effectively penalize you for months where you do not even exceed 300GB.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to d4m1r
that's all good input. tx!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to JonyBelGeul
tx Jony

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Much better! +1 for this....I'd like to think I helped influence you

It's been known to happen. When the cap was 100GB and we got a price increase, we all complained to Rocky and suggested raising the cap to ease the pain. The cap went up to 200GB as a result. When the cap was 200 and the UBB ruling came back favorably, we suggested that TSI add a zero to Bell's 25GB cab to make a 250GB cap a snub to Bell. The cap was raised to 300GB instead. Now Marc proposed some overage plans, customers say they're too complicated, so he simplifies them.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

cyc66

join:2007-09-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc
I actually liked his original idea even though it was a little complicated.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to d4m1r

[said by d4m1r]
....Anyway, the last thing I'd comment is the grouping of Rogers, Videotron, and Cogeco. Especially having Cogeco and Rogers in the same group (and therefore same cost per GB over and max charge) doesn't make sense to me given how different your capacity costs are across those networks. Cogeco should be on its own tier while Rogers at least (and possibly tied with Videotron too if close enough to Rogers, can't remember the rate atm) should be in its own tier. Should allow you to charge 40c/GB lets say for Rogers but still $50 max cap.

Looks better (and simpler), as I posted a few above, but yes, if there was ANY tweaking to still consider (and I do not have all of the wholesale CBB rates exactly memorized), it would be something like that.

PROPOSAL :

For Bell, Aliant, Shaw, Telus (unchanged) :

For Rogers :
Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.35/GB with a maximum of $35/month.

For Videotron :
Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.40/GB with a maximum of $40/month.

For Cogeco (unchanged) :
Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.50/GB with a maximum of $50/month.

My number choices are based upon what I THINK I remember the CBB rates are, but other factors may need to influence these numbers too.

And, BTW, I am in Cogeco-Land.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

except for speeds 60 and above that may need a higher max or maybe even unlimited.

I just noticed this. Go with it. It gets my vote. It's loads better than your original idea. It's even more simple than my suggestion, it's just as simple as current overage scheme, it's more fair too. And if you're still worried you're not fair enough, go with the either-or upgrade program I suggested.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by JonyBelGeul:

I just noticed this....

Check my latest suggestion too.

BTW, does anyone have all of the exact CBB rates handy to post or link ?

callous99

@voxility.net
up to a penalty of $50 for Rogers customers is a bit much. $35 might be ok. $50 was the penalty for Rogers not that long ago, and wouldnt go down well with present Teksavvy customers.

Not everyone means to go over.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by callous99 :

up to a penalty of $50 for Rogers customers is a bit much. $35 might be ok. $50 was the penalty for Rogers not that long ago, and wouldnt go down well with present Teksavvy customers.

Not everyone means to go over.

$35 would be even better but it depends what Marc can work out based on their costs...I don't know if $50 was a rough estimate on his part or a final figure he came up with after calculations...

Either way, MUCH better than Rogers directly who cap overages at up to $100...$50 sets TSI apart and could save you $50 everything depending on your usage.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Ya, this reads very nicely. For lower speeds it is punitive enough to keep people behaving, but very competitive and pretty fair. However...

said by TSI Marc:

I think so. Obviously you need to look at the real per user numbers, but the risks on those fast tiers are killer....
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

well. I'm gonna go try and catch some shut eye.

And the very next post: "Marc, you will lose customers"

No sleep, sleep and you'll lose!!!
--
electronicsguru.ca

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

Simple yet effective and is reasonable is the best way to go.

ok so, what do you see as simple again?

Submission to the Borg is the simple solution.
Bell will file an R&V of the latest decision the day after you publish your updated price list, thereby forcing you back to the drawing board anyway.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

the things that upsets me about this is that this is exactly the kind of thing that makes us look like the incumbents.

one by one independents will now have huge overage fees. that's exactly what we used to say about incumbents. all artificial.

systematically getting picked apart like a glacier - inch by inch.

SO write Blais and let him know that the CRTC decisions have made it seem like everyone is an incumbent now. There's no clarity for customers - the CRTC rulings have made all the indie packages just as confusing as incumbent ones - which your customer base hates....... you're spending more time now explaining CRTC rate aberrations than you are selling to new customers.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

the things that upsets me about this is that this is exactly the kind of thing that makes us look like the incumbents.

one by one independents will now have huge overage fees. that's exactly what we used to say about incumbents. all artificial.

systematically getting picked apart like a glacier - inch by inch.

SO write Blais and let him know that the CRTC decisions have made it seem like everyone is an incumbent now. There's no clarity for customers - the CRTC rulings have made all the indie packages just as confusing as incumbent ones - which your customer base hates....... you're spending more time now explaining CRTC rate aberrations than you are selling to new customers.

Move to second Maynard's motion!
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca