join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to Montreal DSL

Re: Usage - overages

said by Montreal DSL:

I also like the InvalidError's idea

my main concern there is gaming...

one month you peg the connection. next.. you go easy.. forever playing with it..

if you go too far over.. there has to be a penalty imho
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
reply to TSI Marc

What percent of customers pay overages?

Will the 2 month rolling average still be there?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

but the net result is that you too still end up with a grid of different penalties for different speeds

Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

You can simply say: your capped internet bill will never exceed the price of our equivalent unlimited tier + $20.

If a given speed has unlimited at $70, the max capped bill regardless of what the base cap is will be $90 total before taxes, end of story.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

but the net result is that you too still end up with a grid of different penalties for different speeds

You can simply say: your capped internet bill will never exceed the price of our equivalent unlimited tier + $20.

If a given speed has unlimited at $70, the max capped bill regardless of what the base cap is will be $90 total before taxes, end of story.

and basically.. if they want more details.. go see this thread to see exactly how we calculate it... ?

that's not a bad idea.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by TSI Marc:

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

and basically.. if they want more details.. go see this thread to see exactly how we calculate it... ?

that's not a bad idea.

another good one liner is: it's always cheaper to choose the right base usage plan than it is to pay overages.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

Simpler IS better, and to simplify further, at the risk of being flamed, I suggest no more rolling averages.

And max penalty per month would be whatever it takes to bring the bill retroactively for the month in question to what unlimited would have been for that speed/tier.

How you GET to the max (how many $$ per GB, etc), I'm not sure, but max bill should not exceed posted unlimited for that speed/tier, IMNSHO.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TSI Marc

Why not do something like this ...

Less than 375 ...
1 month over in a 6 month period free else $3
2 consecutive months over $5.00
3 consecutive months over $10.00

Over 375
1 month over $10
2 consecutive months (by any amount) current month more than 375 $20
3 consecutive months (by any amount) current month more than 375 $25

In other words, if you are light overages, then your costs are minimal. For repeated overages, you contribute to the costs to the point where over 25% regularly you should consider the unlimited tier.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Simpler IS better

I totally agree.. I really dont want to make it complicated but.. you know, I dont agree with any other method. it's all way more expensive for the end user.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to sbrook

yeah I looked at that too. that kinda ends up more complicated still
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Why not automatically bill overages/penalties in blocks:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20
100GB plus=$???fixed amount

Keeps it simple and effective.

This. What you are currently trying to implement right now Marc is confusing as hell and makes no sense even after going through the thread, trying to understand your explanations.

Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

otherwise there's no reason to choose any usage tier other than the lowest one.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

said by elitefx:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20

This. What you are currently trying to implement right now Marc is confusing as hell and makes no sense even after going through the thread, trying to understand your explanations.

The max you would pay is $20 more than the unlimited tier.

(see, that was easy)
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

that's not bad too. plus $20.. has to be an incentive to upgrade
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

....Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

THAT might work, within each given speed/tier.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

(see, that was easy)

I say go for it. The only people that won't like it are the folks that are trying to take advantage of the rules anyway....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by Davesnothere:

why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

otherwise there's no reason to choose any usage tier other than the lowest one.

But of course ! / Mais oui !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

....The only people that won't like it are the folks that are trying to take advantage of the rules anyway....

HeHeHe....

InvalidError

reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that tier ?

Averaging.

People on permanent unlimited always pay for more than 300GB regardless of whether or not they actually use it. People on 300GB cap who end up on "unlimited a-la-carte" however will ALWAYS be exceeding 300GB. The $20 is the premium for not having to commit to paying extra on a monthly basis.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

said by elitefx:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20

(see, that was easy)

Only because you said it like that... Following the first few posts and explanations and I just don't understand it. I myself would much prefer paying the difference between the two and get bumped up to Unlimited tier if I go over 300GB for any given month. Makes more sense, is more fair (imo), and easy to follow and understand. And note I don't use more than 200GB on a month, so this doesn't even concern me to begin with!

You gotta remember that not everyone comes to DSLR and is as knowledgeable as us. A lot of your customers just want a good alternative to Robellus and Cogeco.

InvalidError

reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Maybe not this thread since the work-in-progress bits would likely confuse the heck out of people.

Sort it out, clean it up, make a new sticky one and link to that.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

Maybe not this thread since the work-in-progress bits would likely confuse the heck out of people.

Sort it out, clean it up, make a new sticky one and link to that.

right..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Only because you said it like that... Following the first few posts and explanations and I just don't understand it. I myself would much prefer paying the difference between the two and get bumped up to Unlimited tier if I go over 300GB for any given month. Makes more sense, is more fair (imo), and easy to follow and understand. And note I don't use more than 200GB on a month, so this doesn't even concern me to begin with!

You gotta remember that not everyone comes to DSLR and is as knowledgeable as us. A lot of your customers just want a good alternative to Robellus and Cogeco.

well actually, my way is even more fair (or lenient.. or to be blunt, would cost you less than your way) than what you're suggesting. by quite a bit really.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by Davesnothere:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that tier ?

Averaging.

People on permanent unlimited always pay for more than 300GB regardless of whether or not they actually use it. People on 300GB cap who end up on "unlimited a-la-carte" however will ALWAYS be exceeding 300GB. The $20 is the premium for not having to commit to paying extra on a monthly basis.

OK, but in that case, I think that even $10 above unlimited as an admin penalty would be enough to accomplish that purpose.

Enough folks here have whined about $4 - think MLPPP fee.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by Davesnothere:

said by InvalidError:

said by Davesnothere:

Averaging.

OK, but in that case, I think that even a $10 admin penalty would be enough to accomplish that purpose.

Enough folks here have whined about $4 - think MLPPP fee.

I had it at 150% of the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by TSI Marc:

I had it at 50% more than the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)

I just edited that post - please re-read.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

well actually, my way is even more fair (or lenient.. or to be blunt, would cost you less than your way) than what you're suggesting. by quite a bit really.

But if it doesn't make sense or is easily understood, you'll have trouble with the public. I may be negative, but I think my negativity and concerns opens up new ideas and problems that you may not have thought about before... I don't know. I don't work for Teksavvy and I'm not TSI Marc but to me, it's a valid concern.

Plus as a business, you need revenues. You can always adjust the packages and make them cheaper by $2 or whatever once you got a better sense of what happens once APOI hits. We welcome price decreases more than price increases you know

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by geokilla:

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

But if it doesn't make sense or is easily understood, you'll have trouble with the public. I may be negative, but I think my negativity and concerns opens up new ideas and problems that you may not have thought about before... I don't know. I don't work for Teksavvy and I'm not TSI Marc but to me, it's a valid concern.

Plus as a business, you need revenues. You can always adjust the packages and make them cheaper by $2 or whatever once you got a better sense of what happens once APOI hits. We welcome price decreases more than price increases you know

oh totally a valid concern. I dont see it that you're being negative.. - constructive criticism..

my concern is that I want something that makes sense and that I can live with myself when charging these overages...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

I had it at 50% more than the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)

I just edited that post - please re-read.

I just edited my post - please re-read (LOL that's too funny)

I think we're almost saying the same thing.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

oh totally a valid concern. I dont see it that you're being negative.. - constructive criticism..

my concern is that I want something that makes sense and that I can live with myself when charging these overages...

Simple yet effective and is reasonable is the best way to go. You shouldn't sacrifice profits to make yourself happy. Like I said, if you find yourself making too much (which no company should be sad or not like), then drop your package pricing by $2 or whatever to make yourself even more competitive!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by geokilla:

Simple yet effective and is reasonable is the best way to go.

ok so, what do you see as simple again?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy