Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Need to go from 3 handle tub/shower faucet

to a one handle. What in the world do I need to search for to get a kit to upgrade from 3 to one? I need the larger plate that will hide the other holes.

Thanks,
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

TampaVoIP

join:2002-05-10
Tampa, FL

Easy but not cheap, the Moen 1920 remodel plate:
»www.amazon.com/Moen-1920-Remodel···013C3VI2

Of course, this works best if you're replacing the 3-valve system with a Moen shower valve, which is what I'd highly recommend. If you can find an old Moen Chateau valve, buy it and use it. By-far the most trouble-free plumbing part I've ever used. I've gotten ~25 years between cartridge changes on these in areas with absolutely nasty water that clogged everything else. Avoid their Posi-temp line if you have hard water and won't be using the shower all that often as these tend to clog up with sediment and you'll have a rather cool shower. Moen will gladly send you free replacement cartridges for the life of the house though, so if you don't mind changing cartridges every few years, the Posi-temp stuff isn't too bad. Pulling a cartridge isn't that much of an ordeal; I just prefer to have things be as near maintenance-free as possible.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Wound up with possible issues with the water lines being galvanized and tying in the shower head line without destroying the tile. Decided to just replace the valve seat - I would have liked to gotten the anti-scaled valve in place but that will have to wait.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by CylonRed:

Wound up with possible issues with the water lines being galvanized and tying in the shower head line without destroying the tile. Decided to just replace the valve seat - I would have liked to gotten the anti-scaled valve in place but that will have to wait.

Hate hate hate galvanized pipe, PITA to work with.