InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Usage - overages

I would make it simpler:
1- bill based on the least of rolling average and current month
2- cap overage to difference-to-unlimited + $20

If the difference between 75GB cap and unlimited on a given tier is $30, overage would be capped to $50.

This way, no need for one set of rule for 75GB-300GB, 300GB-Unlimited and whatever else fragmentation or tier shuffle may be added at some other time.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

I would make it simpler:
1- bill based on the least of rolling average and current month
2- cap overage to difference-to-unlimited + $20

If the difference between 75GB cap and unlimited on a given tier is $30, overage would be capped to $50.

This way, no need for one set of rule for 75GB-300GB, 300GB-Unlimited and whatever else fragmentation or tier shuffle may be added at some other time.

that's basically what I'm saying.. i like you're way of saying it..

but the net result is that you too still end up with a grid of different penalties for different speeds
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by TSI Marc:

but the net result is that you too still end up with a grid of different penalties for different speeds

Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

You can simply say: your capped internet bill will never exceed the price of our equivalent unlimited tier + $20.

If a given speed has unlimited at $70, the max capped bill regardless of what the base cap is will be $90 total before taxes, end of story.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

You can simply say: your capped internet bill will never exceed the price of our equivalent unlimited tier + $20.

If a given speed has unlimited at $70, the max capped bill regardless of what the base cap is will be $90 total before taxes, end of story.

and basically.. if they want more details.. go see this thread to see exactly how we calculate it... ?

that's not a bad idea.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

and basically.. if they want more details.. go see this thread to see exactly how we calculate it... ?

that's not a bad idea.

another good one liner is: it's always cheaper to choose the right base usage plan than it is to pay overages.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

Simpler IS better, and to simplify further, at the risk of being flamed, I suggest no more rolling averages.

And max penalty per month would be whatever it takes to bring the bill retroactively for the month in question to what unlimited would have been for that speed/tier.

How you GET to the max (how many $$ per GB, etc), I'm not sure, but max bill should not exceed posted unlimited for that speed/tier, IMNSHO.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Simpler IS better

I totally agree.. I really dont want to make it complicated but.. you know, I dont agree with any other method. it's all way more expensive for the end user.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

otherwise there's no reason to choose any usage tier other than the lowest one.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

said by Davesnothere:

why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that speed/tier ? - Admin costs ?

otherwise there's no reason to choose any usage tier other than the lowest one.

But of course ! / Mais oui !
InvalidError

InvalidError to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that tier ?

Averaging.

People on permanent unlimited always pay for more than 300GB regardless of whether or not they actually use it. People on 300GB cap who end up on "unlimited a-la-carte" however will ALWAYS be exceeding 300GB. The $20 is the premium for not having to commit to paying extra on a monthly basis.
InvalidError

InvalidError to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Maybe not this thread since the work-in-progress bits would likely confuse the heck out of people.

Sort it out, clean it up, make a new sticky one and link to that.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

Maybe not this thread since the work-in-progress bits would likely confuse the heck out of people.

Sort it out, clean it up, make a new sticky one and link to that.

right..

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by Davesnothere:

I like your simpler approach too, but why does the max bill need to be higher than unlimited for that tier ?

Averaging.

People on permanent unlimited always pay for more than 300GB regardless of whether or not they actually use it. People on 300GB cap who end up on "unlimited a-la-carte" however will ALWAYS be exceeding 300GB. The $20 is the premium for not having to commit to paying extra on a monthly basis.

OK, but in that case, I think that even $10 above unlimited as an admin penalty would be enough to accomplish that purpose.

Enough folks here have whined about $4 - think MLPPP fee.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by InvalidError:

said by Davesnothere:

Averaging.

OK, but in that case, I think that even a $10 admin penalty would be enough to accomplish that purpose.

Enough folks here have whined about $4 - think MLPPP fee.

I had it at 150% of the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

I had it at 50% more than the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)

I just edited that post - please re-read.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

I had it at 50% more than the difference between the lowest and highest. (but that's, again, complicated to explain)

I just edited that post - please re-read.

I just edited my post - please re-read (LOL that's too funny)

I think we're almost saying the same thing.
InvalidError

InvalidError to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

OK, but in that case, I think that even $10 above unlimited as an admin penalty would be enough to accomplish that purpose.

The thing is it may not be only an administrative cost.

Over 300GB/month is ~6h/day of streaming at 4Mbps and that means ~$50/month during peak hours on GAS or ~$100/month on Rogers/Videotron, which is quite a bit more than $10 extra cost to potentially have to assume.

Of course, not everyone busting their 300GB cap uses all of it during peak hours but it is a real possibility that a fair chunk of it still will.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

....Of course, not everyone busting their 300GB cap uses all of it during peak hours but it is a real possibility that a fair chunk of it still will.

It's really hard to say for sure, isn't it ?
InvalidError

1 edit

InvalidError

said by Davesnothere:

It's really hard to say for sure, isn't it ?

Streaming video is the single biggest traffic growth driver and time-shifting viewing to off-peak would be pretty hard to do unless you work evening shifts... so most people using internet mostly during peak hours (ed: and increasingly so) seems like a pretty safe bet to me - there wouldn't be such a think as peak/rush hours in the first place if such were not the case.