join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kramer

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 Adoption at Standstill

said by Kramer:

why don't you just buy a rotating monitor?

You have to take care with some fonts. They're tuned for 'right way up' monitors, particularly if using subpixel rendition, like Cleartype.

(I have an old Dell monitor at home on which text looks ok when the right way around, but is awful the other way)

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Kramer
That's a good idea and I'll do it this way when I buy next laptop. It makes it very convenient to read documentation, analyze code, read books or even web pages, like e.g. in this forum... But it's going to happen with the new purchase only. Current NVIDIA GeForce2Go video card, while it's supporting 2 monitors, doesn't offer rotation option...

Anyway, it's weird to see that manufacturers think (or rather want us to think) that computers are made only for watching widescreen movies. And BTW, many of movies I may watch time to time, have big verity of AR's, and majority are wider than that 16x9 AR... So, what's the point to move everyone to that inferior (compared to offered earlier 1920x1200) screen now and why every computer has to have it??? Strange...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
This new Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor has 16x9, HDMI port (last year's model was missing this) and full tilt/swivel.

At the moment, one should not buy it as evidently it has a poorly designed base (customer comments) which really surprises me as Dell Ultrasharps have always been outstanding monitors. Only a few customer comments so far and they may have all gotten bad ones. Dell had to send me FOUR 19" Ultrasharps (non wide screen) back in Nov 2003 before I got one that didn't have a problem of some kind - one had the power connector so loose that it fell off of the connection on the bottom of the monitor constantly. The wobbly base reported may just be an anomaly only on the early ones). The fourth 19" one is still working with close to 29,000 hours on it. Anyhow, if you will be in the market for a new monitor around Christmas time, Dell should have the kinks out of this one and it should then rate as high as the 2010 and 2012 models. (and the price should be good by then).

Someone who has the new Dell monitor said that there are font issues (when you swivel) with certain fonts (cleartype). They claim that is the case with any recent monitor that swivels. I used to swivel this 19" one and didn't see font problems.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

2 edits
reply to dave
said by dave:

said by Kramer:

why don't you just buy a rotating monitor?

You have to take care with some fonts. They're tuned for 'right way up' monitors, particularly if using subpixel rendition, like Cleartype.

(I have an old Dell monitor at home on which text looks ok when the right way around, but is awful the other way)

Thanks, Interesting, I've never consciously noticed anything different, but given a lot (if not all) LCD monitors have a different pixel horizontal dimension than they do a vertical dimension, one could see why there would be a major problem. I just flipped my 20 and darned if I can any major difference. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I've graduated from $10 reading glasses to $500 progressives and I still wonder if the cheaper solution isn't better all around.

Anyone reading your post that wants to know a little more about sub-pixel rendition... »alienryderflex.com/sub_pixel/

Edit: l just looked into my 20 inch monitor and it uses an S-IPS panel which has a unique pixel pattern. Maybe that's why I can't see a difference. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_dell_lcd.jpg

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Alcohol:

Computers are lasting a long time. There is no reason for people that have windows 7 PCs to buy another computer. Atleast not for the next few years.

Yea, but go back in time a bit and you'll see that people used to upgrade their OS when a new one came out, assuming their PC could handle it.

Back in the day, I'd completed same-PC upgrades from 95 OSR2 to 98 SE (skipped first 98 since 95 SR2 was working great), Windows 2000 to XP and Windows Vista to 7...

... but Windows 7 to 8? That's a downgrade on my PC.

They did?

Upgrades on PCs were not that commonplace among regular users. I know many who just stuck with the same OS when they bought their computers. It would be nice to find some data on this though.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to OZO
I would have suggested rotating the monitor when I mentioned the Google ChromeBook Pixel but didn't because I thought you were only interested in laptops. Naturally it's impractical to rotate the display of most laptops, although, most tablets will auto rotate their screen quickly and easily

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Thank you, Octavean See Profile